Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 EX, which I love, btw. Anyone find themselves resetting the HVAC settings? Like, put it on upper/lower, check it again a few miles down the road only to find it set to, say, lower only? Annoying as ****, and I don't understand why.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2017 EX, which I love, btw. Anyone find themselves resetting the HVAC settings? Like, put it on upper/lower, check it again a few miles down the road only to find it set to, say, lower only? Annoying as ****, and I don't understand why.
This must be your first vehicle with automatic climate control. You control the temperature you want to the Niro to be at, and the computer heats or cools the car through the vents it is programmed to do it most efficiently. So in winter, it will start out with barely anything on because it's cold. Then when it starts to warm up, it will turn on the front defroster, then when it is sufficiently warm, it will turn on the low/foot vents full blast because heat rises and that is the most efficient way to heat a car. Then it slowly lower the speed as it heats up.

It's so much better than having to manually control everything. Once you get used to it, you will love it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, if it's on AUTO, which illuminates on the dial when it's ON, it has a mind of it's own....... I prefer manual settings myself, especially in Northern NY winter, here it's been -5 to 5 degrees the last several days.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just the other day, I was driving, call rang in, I thought the HAV fan reduced on it's own. Seemed like a nice feature, if that is what it was.
Yes, any time the phone is used, OR if you are using the voice activated features to control the radio, the fan/blower speed will reduce to eliminate sound interference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, not using AUTO. The manual has a line about how the lower setting is best for heating, the upper for cooling, so maybe if I have the heat cranked it's overruling my settings...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the lucid explanation. I think this is just what's happening. It sure as **** has been super cold up here the past week. Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had the same issue. When I first start up, if I select the heat vents I want, the auto symbol blinks, like it wants me to go into auto. Then sometimes it changes the vents, and even goes into auto itself. I have found that after several miles when it warms up, I can control it again without it changing. So I think that's what the program is doing-trying to control the heat delivery in auto while there's not much heat available. OK I guess for start up.
I also do not like auto climate. I don't like the heat coming out of defrost vents unless I need defrosting. Nor the front dash vents. My feet get the coldest, and that's where I like the heat- it's also the most efficient way of heating the car. When I get sufficient bottom heat going, I can turn heat/fan down lower so it maintains. That's hard to do when youre picking a number in auto.
Also in auto mode, it's hard to get just outside air to blow through in warmer but not hot (A/C) weather. You must pick a temperature, and it either wants to go to A/C or heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts