Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious question about fuel consumption with my 2019 Niro EX hybrid…

I’ve recently had my Niro EX hybrid in (multiple) times to try and solve a very rough “idle??” issue when it starts… ended up paying to have the tank drained & dried out, fuel lines (cleaned) and everything put back in.

Since it was serviced (April 25) I’ve been watching the fuel mileage drop fast! while I’m in EV mode. I was able to test and record this while driving only 30km/hr for roughly 10 blocks in a playground zone. The Niro never left EV mode but (used?) over 4L of fuel.

I showed this to the service rep and all he could say was… maybe those numbers count for both electric and gas mileage?? :rolleyes: Um… NO!! It’s fuel consumption.

I’ve asked for the service manager to get back to me.
Any thoughts???

Now, this may sound WAY off but… do dealerships have any way of accessing a vehicle’s system when it’s not in the shop to… update/ correct/ reset/ it??
The reason I’m asking is, not 5 minutes after I left the dealership I noticed the fuel mileage was not changing… at all! I drove from the south end, to the north end, then back to the middle of the city and it didn’t drop! …even with my engine kicking in as I pulled away from lights or drove the odd incline, etc. :unsure:

·
Registered
890 Posts
There's a lot more knowledgeable people on here that I'm sure will give you good replies. But I would say a good way to test if your instrumentation is off is to go back to your playground setting with a fairly good battery charge and just before you can do that same route in pure EV, hit the reset button on your mpg readout out so it you do your route in pure ev and you gas engine for sure is off at the end your route mpg's should read 99 mpgs. If not and your sure the gas engine stayed off I'd say your problem is with the instrumentation. Also did what the dealer do fix your rough idle?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
Curious question about fuel consumption with my 2019 Niro EX hybrid…

I’ve recently had my Niro EX hybrid in (multiple) times to try and solve a very rough “idle??” issue when it starts… ended up paying to have the tank drained & dried out, fuel lines (cleaned) and everything put back in.

Since it was serviced (April 25) I’ve been watching the fuel mileage drop fast! while I’m in EV mode. I was able to test and record this while driving only 30km/hr for roughly 10 blocks in a playground zone. The Niro never left EV mode but (used?) over 4L of fuel.

I showed this to the service rep and all he could say was… maybe those numbers count for both electric and gas mileage?? :rolleyes: Um… NO!! It’s fuel consumption.

I’ve asked for the service manager to get back to me.
Any thoughts???

Now, this may sound WAY off but… do dealerships have any way of accessing a vehicle’s system when it’s not in the shop to… update/ correct/ reset/ it??
The reason I’m asking is, not 5 minutes after I left the dealership I noticed the fuel mileage was not changing… at all! I drove from the south end, to the north end, then back to the middle of the city and it didn’t drop! …even with my engine kicking in as I pulled away from lights or drove the odd incline, etc. :unsure:
I do not know where you get the actual reading of "over 4L of fuel". I assume you are talking about the km left on tank and saying that number dropped even though you were on EV the whole time?
The only correct method for calculating fuel economy is using actual numbers when filling the tank (calculator or app) and you should check over several tank fills.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fill it up go for a long ride try and see if you're in EV mode or not, go back to the pump see if you can add fuel if you were in Ev mode most of the time and add more fuel than you think you should have you could have a dripping fuel line since they took all of that apart. If not the computer must be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know where you get the actual reading of "over 4L of fuel". I assume you are talking about the km left on tank and saying that number dropped even though you were on EV the whole time?
The only correct method for calculating fuel economy is using actual numbers when filling the tank (calculator or app) and you should check over several tank fills.
Hi Techy,
Yes, I was referring to watching the km’s (fuel mileage changing) as they dropped while driving in full EV mode. (not economy). That’s what caught my attention.
I understand determining the (economy) is different, based on how the vehicle is driven while (not) in EV mode, and needs to be tracked over several fills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a lot more knowledgeable people on here that I'm sure will give you good replies. But I would say a good way to test if your instrumentation is off is to go back to your playground setting with a fairly good battery charge and just before you can do that same route in pure EV, hit the reset button on your mpg readout out so it you do your route in pure ev and you gas engine for sure is off at the end your route mpg's should read 99 mpgs. If not and your sure the gas engine stayed off I'd say your problem is with the instrumentation. Also did what the dealer do fix your rough idle?
Thanks, I’ll try that in another location that goes into a valley park.

As for the rough idle, I think we all “feel” when something is off in our vehicles. However now that weather is above freezing, I can’t (hear) the “rough” idle as much but I still feel it when it starts. I’m thinking this could be bad plugs as there were P0300/ 302/ & /303 codes but they only switched ignition coils from another vehicle; got the same codes & never checked the plugs. (then reset the ECM).

·
Registered
890 Posts
OHHHH you got codes! That's more than a simple rough idle. My 2018 has 60k mi. on it an occasionally during the winter I get a rough idle on start up but a bottle or 2 of Techron always fixes it.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
169 Posts
Set your center LCD to show the energy flow and you see what happens during driving:
Gauge Car Automotive design Speedometer Personal luxury car

... and for the codes, back to the dealer ...

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
Thanks, I’ll try that in another location that goes into a valley park.

As for the rough idle, I think we all “feel” when something is off in our vehicles. However now that weather is above freezing, I can’t (hear) the “rough” idle as much but I still feel it when it starts. I’m thinking this could be bad plugs as there were P0300/ 302/ & /303 codes but they only switched ignition coils from another vehicle; got the same codes & never checked the plugs. (then reset the ECM).
Those codes are misfire codes and highly unlikely it is spark plugs.
If you are still getting codes, I would be headed back to the dealer. There should be no "feeling of a rough idle - ever!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OHHHH you got codes! That's more than a simple rough idle. My 2018 has 60k mi. on it an occasionally during the winter I get a rough idle on start up but a bottle or 2 of Techron always fixes it.
Oye! Tell me about it LOL
  • During the cold weather, they’ve had me put (Kia brand) fuel conditioner in it… no change
  • Then it ended up not starting at all & needed to be towed in… couldn’t figure out what happened the next day
  • Since then, all they’ve came up with is “bad fuel” & blamed it on Costco gas (though I filled at another station like they suggested; still happened)
  • They put (2) bottles of BG fuel drier in before I got it back & said to use it each time I fill… it’s a gas line antifreeze
  • Now, after having the (tank) “drained?”, I’ve filled up at a 3rd station (still top tier fuel) & “feel” the rough idle at startup
…and I’m only on 6,300 km!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Set your center LCD to show the energy flow and you see what happens during driving:
View attachment 7556

... and for the codes, back to the dealer ...
That’s exactly what I did (recorded it to show them)… response was “well maybe (the amount of km’s remaining) covers both gas & battery” :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’ve questioned them on the codes and they said… because they haven’t shown up (again) since they cleared it, that wasn’t the cause.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
You had posted about this issue months ago (like 30% water content) - correct?
I believe I said then water in the gas cannot be the problem and now it appears the draining of the tank etc. was not the issue. In fact, I think they are barking up the wrong tree completely.
Most misfire codes are "lean misfires" and not related to gas unless it was possibly too high of an ethanol content and with the gas being drained, that will certainly not be the problem. Coils could cause lean misfire but again, they said they addressed that.
The codes will return and then the dealer has some more work to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts