Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way into work, my car slightly jerked, and 4 warning lights came on. Received a message check hybrid system. I head straight to dealer, and while waiting for them to open I turn my car off. When the dealership opens, I start my car, all I get is my dashboard. I have no engine. Still awaiting verdict from dealer. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Perhaps the HSG belt broke. Due for replacement at 60K. Dealer will tell you no doubt, could be a trillion things. Which warning lights went on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my 2017 with 54k miles. Talking to my service advisor this morning I asked about the belt snapping and he said there wasn't one it's a chain and gears. Dealer did all the recalls and it did not fix it. They said they were instructed to trickle charge the battery for 4 hours. I suspect this is not going to fix it because they have now give me a rental. What did they find wrong with yours?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The HSG belt breaking is going to trigger alerts as the car will no longer be able to charge or start the engine. But no, it is not responsible for the valve timing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I hope the mechanics know the Niro better than the service advisor. On page 8-21 it says the HSG (hybrid and starter & generator) belt every 30k mi. or 24 months. But that's for severe service and I thought it was 60k. mi. I just see on page 8-14 it says 60k. mi. for normal service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Total system failure - I had a similar thing happen on my 2017 Niro. Literally, at a red light, the car totally stopped, several warning lights popped on, one which said hybrid system, and I couldn’t do anything from there. Engine wouldn’t turn on and all systems died. Towed to dealer two days ago and waiting to hear status. Not feeling very good about my Niro or Kia at this point.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Total system failure - I had a similar thing happen on my 2017 Niro. Literally, at a red light, the car totally stopped, several warning lights popped on, one which said hybrid system, and I couldn’t do anything from there. Engine wouldn’t turn on and all systems died. Towed to dealer two days ago and waiting to hear status. Not feeling very good about my Niro or Kia at this point.
That's disappointing. Was there any indication of a problem before this happened? Rough running or trouble lights on the dash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not one tiny sign that would have indicated anything wrong. We weren’t even in park - but stopped at a red light. Car only has 28k on it and has been extremely reliable until this.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That would sour me up too. It's bad enough to break down in the driveway or limp out of traffic, but going flat dead at a stop light isn't cool at all. Please let us know what the dealer concludes was the cause of the failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Niro did the same thing to me in rush hour traffic yesterday. Dashboard lot up like Christmas tree and warning said hybrid system failure. It has 28k on it. Waiting to hear from dealership it was towed to but they did update me that the engine wouldn't even start to get a mileage read yesterday.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On my way into work, my car slightly jerked, and 4 warning lights came on. Received a message check hybrid system. I head straight to dealer, and while waiting for them to open I turn my car off. When the dealership opens, I start my car, all I get is my dashboard. I have no engine. Still awaiting verdict from dealer. Anyone else have this happen?

I'm curious about the fact that per the manual, ALL hybrid system components are supposed to fall under the 10year/100,000 mile warranty. Unless they look at belts as "consumable wear & tear" items like brakes/rotors and the 12v battery, shouldn't this be covered? Belts shouldn't be breaking that early. Regarding belts/chains, it was my understanding that Kia and Hyundai started moving away from TIMING BELTS about 10 years ago and went back to the old fashioned CHAINS. The HSG on the other hand must be a belt but again, I can't see why that shouldn't be covered under the 10/100 HYBRID warranty. I stress HYBRID because in addition to the 10/100 powertrain warranty the HYBRID components warranty is also 10/100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 10 days of my car being in the shop, and not being able to start at all, they think they figured out that it is a “hybrid relay fuse” issue. We will find out. If you haven’t, I strongly recommend contacting Kia Consumer Affairs to stay on top of it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
After 10 days of my car being in the shop, and not being able to start at all, they think they figured out that it is a “hybrid relay fuse” issue. We will find out. If you haven’t, I strongly recommend contacting Kia Consumer Affairs to stay on top of it.
When do they think you'll get it back?

I'm noticing a pattern here, where it seems like anyone who has a problem with the hybrid system winds up with the car in the shop for a rather long time. I imagine some of that delay is to be expected: the mechanics who've been trained on the hybrids are likely to be among the best mechanics in any shop, and they are probably booked for several days in advance for other work that their employer has scheduled. But I wonder if there's more than just that going on. Shortage of parts on hand? Lack of diagnostic equipment for the Niro's electric systems?

The other thing I'm wondering about: you said you were stopped and it was raining. So I'm guessing that the ICE was off and that you might have had a high electrical load particularly on the 12V circuits (wipers, headlights, if you were running the defroster then the AC might have been on as well as the cabin fan, maybe you were also running the rear defogger and/or the heated seats?). Of course, that's nothing compared to the load to propel the car electrically. And it doesn't seem like a relay fuse should care how high the load is: the relay should care about that and the fuse should just care about how much load is needed to energize the relay. Still, I wonder if there was something about high load, with no HSG contribution, that pushed the fuse over the edge?

Please let us know the part number for whatever gets replaced. It will be interesting to see if it is the same part that was replaced for celticmg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resolution! To your point about the rain and the electric load - it didn’t start raining until right after the car stopped. Windshield wipers and other things were not on. So, 11 days in and I got the car back. It ended up being the Fuse - high voltage (I think it’s part no. 375F2-A8170. Hope this info helps others!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Resolution! To your point about the rain and the electric load - it didn’t start raining until right after the car stopped. Windshield wipers and other things were not on. So, 11 days in and I got the car back. It ended up being the Fuse - high voltage (I think it’s part no. 375F2-A8170. Hope this info helps others!
Glad to hear it was resolved. Sounds like my previous conjecture about electrical load was a little off base (another perfectly good theory, shot to **** :)). On the other hand, I imagine that the fuse probably blew at the instant that the computer asked the HSG to start the ICE, which is probably a pretty good load all unto itself.

Thank you for providing the part number that your dealer told you was the solution to the problem. This forum can benefit from that kind of detailed information.

The part number you mentioned is kind of interesting. It's actually a high voltage fuse, and it's located adjacent to the relay that celticmg reported needed to be replaced. in his case That leaves me wondering if maybe celticmg's service technician replaced both the relay and the fuse, when only the fuse needed to be replaced. (It wouldn't be the first time that a mechanic used a process-of-elimination approach to troubleshoot a problem, and replaced more parts than were actually necessary, and then billed for everything that was replaced, or at least, for the highest cost component that they replaced).

It looks like Kia has two variants of the 375F2 fuse. One version was produced beginning in June 2017, and the other beginning in November 2017. According to this web page, your replacement is the one from November 2017. Maybe there are just two different suppliers for this fuse, or maybe Kia recognized that there was something problematic about the original variant (375F2-G2120). I'd be a little uneasy about this question if my Niro was manufactured prior to about December 2017. You can find the manufacture date for your car on the stickers on the driver's door.

Anyone with an older Niro contemplating the idea of maybe proactively replacing this fuse as a DIY project in order to avoid the kind of let-down that DGChicago experienced needs to contemplate that it has a cost of about $45+, and more importantly, because it's a high-voltage fuse, you could be killed if you try to replace it and you don't de-energize the circuit before you attempt the replacement. In other words, probably best to ask your Kia dealer if maybe it should be proactively replaced in order to reduce the probability of having the fuse fail at an inopportune moment, that might lead to a need for towing, rental cars, and all the rest, rather than trying to do it yourself, unless you have a really good understanding of how to de-energize the high voltage circuit and then verify (perhaps with a multi-meter) that it really is de-energized.

Thanks again for the details on your outcome. I'm curious to know how the OP for this thread made out. goldnfawn, what was the solution in your case?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hybrid System Failure, Engine Light and Flashing Green Car Near EV Indicator

Starting on Wednesday, April 17. I had all 3 lights come on at once, I was able to drive a short distance I turned the car off and left it off overnight as it was fully charged. There was no dealer within 70 miles of me. When I reattempted a start of the car all 3 lights came on immediately again, and the car wouldn't actually use the EV mode, as it considered the car in Emergency Engine Use. i have a 2019 Plug-In Hybrid with last than 4500 miles. I drove it the 70 miles to the closer dealer, only to find out they had no appointments and no rentals available for the Friday. The only could squeeze me in on Monday. I decided to keep driving the car as it settled down into the Emergency engine mode for most of the trip. I drove to work and the next time I turned on the vehicle none of the lights came on and it operated normally with EV running most all the way (9 miles) home. The next morning I started the car and all the lights came bak on. I drove approximately 9 miles with the engine fighting all the way in emergency mode. It used less than 3 miles of EV charge for a 9 mile drive that should have been all EV. Restarting the car to leave to go home the car again worked in normal mode with a fully charged EV battery. It drove all the way home in EV mode and worked again as normal. I'm still waiting for my appointment this Monday, more later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Niro Touring HV Fuse Issue

I had this happen to me Monday when I tried to leave work. I have a 2017 Niro Touring, and have had issue after issue with it. I went to start it Monday evening and the dash lit up and I got some error message flash on the screen. After calling the dealerships service dept and trying a few things they suggested, I ended up having it towed.

The dealership is now saying it is the High Voltage Fuse and they're still looking for the fix...sounds like another recall to me...I just want my car back so I can trade it in. I am so over the issues with this thing!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts