Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Niro has been at the dealership since Monday night. They narrowed the issue down to the High Voltage Fuse; but they are working with Tech and Engineering because they don't have a fix & don't know what part to order.

I'm without a car and they are out of loaners due to the engine problem with the Optima...last Kia for me...

·
Registered
613 Posts
My Niro has been at the dealership since Monday night. They narrowed the issue down to the High Voltage Fuse; but they are working with Tech and Engineering because they don't have a fix & don't know what part to order.

I'm without a car and they are out of loaners due to the engine problem with the Optima...last Kia for me...
Then they should get you a RENTAL. I might be wrong but I think the warranty covers a rental.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts

If it was me in your shoes, I would be driving around in the Service Managers CAR. Or they would be putting a dealer plate onto any one of the other cars on the lot and I would be driving that one around. If the dealer doesn't want to, then I would make them call KIA and they pay for a rental from any number of rental companies that are around. Not your falult they can't fix it.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Seems to be a pattern here. What model/year Niro do you own and what part of the world do you live in (just wondering if this problem maybe crops up more in cold climates). Hopefully they'll figure the part number pretty quickly. If not, they might want to read this thread :)

Then they should get you a RENTAL. I might be wrong but I think the warranty covers a rental.
I agree. Just because they don't have any rentals doesn't mean that your nearest Avis/Hertz or whatever doesn't have any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had this issue happen to me 2 days ago, 2017/FEB 36kmiles just had oil change service and recall done a week ago. SoCal car so no worry about cold weather or rain.

While driving home car got all the warning lights and error message (come to think of it, it happened right after I turned off the AC), but drove fine. Service advisory suggested to pull over and restart the car and it may reset itself. But of course, it didn't start back up. Had it towed to the dealer and looked at the next day. They said it was a blown high voltage fuse easy replacement, and said pick it up today. Then I get the the call this morning that when they went for the test drive, it blew again. They were kind enough to offer a rental, But have no idea whats causing the issue. I'll keep you guys updated as this goes along.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
It would help greatly if the posters who have the issue could include the year and model of their Niro. I am wondering if this is a problem with the PHEV as it seems that there are quite few who buy that with the tax rebates they get over a vanila HEV.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There are two different part numbers for that fuse, but I'm not aware of the reason for that. One possibility is that they discovered a problem with the original fuse design and decided to revise the specification for it. It would be nice to know which part number your dealership installed that blew out right away.

As for me, I'm starting to wonder if I should pack a spare and also educate myself on the way to replace it safely (without electrocuting myself).

It could be that your dealer had a fuse in inventory that was just a rare, defective, fuse. Or maybe the explanation is that there is some downstream component that intermittently draws an excessive load that Kia hasn't yet recognized or understood - maybe they'll learn something from your car. Either way, there's clearly a pattern with a number of Niro owners having experienced this fuse blowing out and leaving them in need of a tow.

Thanks for the info, please do keep us updated on your experience.

By the way - I'm in So Cal too. Curious to know who your dealer is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my car back tonight, Total time at dealer: 4 business days. 2017/FEB NIRO HYBRID LAUNCH EDITION

Dealer: Covina Valley Kia / CA Courtesy loaner was provided (ford focus)

So to recap, replaced high voltage fuse one day 1, day 2 they went for a test drive and it blew again. Day 4 called me and said all is done.

Service adviser couldn't really tell me what was wrong except for reading it off the paper, so maybe some of you can decipher what happened.
Shorted, Warning Light Went On.

INSTALLED 375F2 A8170: FUSE-HIGH VOLTAGE QTY: 1
INSTALLED 375F2 G2120: FUSE-HIGH VOLTAGE QTY: 1

SCAN TOOL OPEN CODE P1B25, P1B77HIGH VOLTAGE PATH FAULT, INVERTER CAPACITOR PRECHARGING FAULT,
OPEN TECHLINE FOR ASSISTANCE SEE RELATED TO SC168 DONE LAST WEEK
FOUND 125 AMP FUSE BLOWN FOR HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY
REPLACED UPGRADED FUSE AND VEHICLE DID NOT GO IN READY MODE, TECH HAD TO REMOVE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY COVER TO GET TO HIGH VOLTAGE PROTECTION DEVICE AND SET CODE FOR CONDITION WITH POWER ON THEN CLEAR DTC AND PUT BACK ALL PARTS REMOVED AND VEHICLE STARTED OK.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The first sentence is just describing how they came to recognize that the fuse was blown. I'm not sure what "SC168 DONE LAST WEEK" refers to. Perhaps that's some sort of Kia advisory number.

I'm guessing that perhaps the A8170 version of the fuse might have had issues and Kia revised the design spec for that fuse and called it G2120. You probably had an A8170 when the car was new, too.

Clearing the trouble code (DTC) is something that a mechanic can normally do just by plugging your car into a scanner, and it's pretty standard thing to do whenever the computer has detected an error condition. The part about "REMOVE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY COVER TO GET TO HIGH VOLTAGE PROTECTION DEVICE AND SET CODE FOR CONDITION WITH POWER ON" is Greek to me. I'm surprised that they had to do that.

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that the bottom line is just that the initial fuse, and the first replacement fuse, had a design that allowed it to blow too easily.

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
REPLACED UPGRADED FUSE AND VEHICLE DID NOT GO IN READY MODE, TECH HAD TO REMOVE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY COVER TO GET TO HIGH VOLTAGE PROTECTION DEVICE AND SET CODE FOR CONDITION WITH POWER ON THEN CLEAR DTC AND PUT BACK ALL PARTS REMOVED AND VEHICLE STARTED OK.

To me that sounds like with the fuse blew a second time, it tripped a battery protection circuit inside the battery compartment. When they replaced the fuse for a second time with the G2120 spec, as they battery protection had been tripped, they needed to open up the compartment to reset. Likely there is a secondary computer interface on the actual battery control board that needed to get plugged into. I suspect that the new fuse spec has a longer time delay before blowing. As we are dealing with a large battery, there can be a spike in-rush through the fuse when the motor starts/stops. I know from working with my woodworking tools that you need to put in a timed fuse. This allows for a small overcurrent draw for a limited time to not knock out the fuse. A large overcurrent will blow the fuse, or a constant overcurrent will too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem with my 2018 KIA NIRO TOURING - Canada

As all of you told, I have the same problem. I am not very happy, has 2 weeks and technicians (dealer and Kia Canada) doesn't know yet what the problem is. I am very unhappy and Monday morning I go to the dealer to put a little pressure. I have a replacement car but is really frustrating.

Kia Niro 2018 Touring

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This car a Hybrid EX bought FEB 2017 is beginning to really worry me with all the issues read about.

Plus my own somewhat jerky operations (not been bad) and noise I hear (like tire road noise, but don't think it is tire road noise). Wife says noise does not bother her, but it's an excessive cab noise considering how quite cars are now days.

Then there is all this maintenance stuff besides oil changes (actuator fluid I just found out about at 30,000 miles). Been doing my own Oil Changes as have done on most cars all my life (and oil changes is about all I ever did on cars for 80,000 to 100,000 miles before trading).

Beginning to feel IT WAS A MISTAKE to buy the NIRO (that I sort of fell in love with from reading about it and seeing it).

I do LIKE the 50MPG even thought does not save me a lot annually (as only drive around 12,000 a year).

HATE to think of the loss I will take if trade this thing (Blue Book maybe $16,000 vs $28,000 purchase) for less than 3 years use. And the $28,000 does not include tax, fees, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4/14/21 my 2017 Touring at 61000 miles shut off while driving - gave hybrid system error. Gasoline engine kicked in so I drove it back home (I was less than a mile away) - shut it off and would not restart. Towed to dealer same day - we are now on. Day 4 and they literally can’t figure it out. It’s setting in the parking lot with the hood popped and back seat out while they consult with “KIA” what ever that means. I’m calling tomorrow suggesting they check this High Voltage Fuse that others have mentioned. Will update.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Glad to hear it was resolved. Interesting that they thought the fuse tested good, but when they replaced it, apparently it solved the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to hear it was resolved. Interesting that they thought the fuse tested good, but when they replaced it, apparently it solved the problem.
That’s what the technician said as well. He said he checked it multiple times and that it tested “good” every time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like I will add to the unfortunate ones having the dreaded “Hybrid System Error”. I have a 2017 HEV Niro with less than 30K miles and my son was driving and got the error message. He was able to make it home, but once the car was turned off it never came back on. Tried jumpstarting and 12V battery reset with no luck. Finally had it towed to a dealer where is has been for almost 4 weeks. They have tried replacing 12V battery and fuses but still not able to get the car to turn on. It has taken longer due to backordered parts, but its frustrating. The dealer is waiting on the KIA “field tech” to diagnose the problem further. Will update the thread if/when it gets resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my way into work, my car slightly jerked, and 4 warning lights came on. Received a message check hybrid system. I head straight to dealer, and while waiting for them to open I turn my car off. When the dealership opens, I start my car, all I get is my dashboard. I have no engine. Still awaiting verdict from dealer. Anyone else have this happen?
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I’m having the same problem right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like I will add to the unfortunate ones having the dreaded “Hybrid System Error”. I have a 2017 HEV Niro with less than 30K miles and my son was driving and got the error message. He was able to make it home, but once the car was turned off it never came back on. Tried jumpstarting and 12V battery reset with no luck. Finally had it towed to a dealer where is has been for almost 4 weeks. They have tried replacing 12V battery and fuses but still not able to get the car to turn on. It has taken longer due to backordered parts, but its frustrating. The dealer is waiting on the KIA “field tech” to diagnose the problem further. Will update the thread if/when it gets resolved.
Finally got my car back after 5 weeks at the dealer. Here is the list of items the techs did to get it back running again:

Appears that in addition to the 12v battery and fuses the wires and voltage protection device all needed to be replaced. I still have one issue that I need to get my dealer to fix; my spare smartkey fob no longer works and needs to be recoded.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts