Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Wow, first 12 volt lithium battery failure I've heard about I think. You sure had some EV gremlins at work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW! I got struck by the Hybrid gremlin today at worst possible time ... Hybrid System Failure about 53k on odo (2017 Niro FE). Went into Limp Mode, radio/computer blathering on. Got off side of expressway close to exit ramp near local arteries...6 hours into trip from Chicago to Colorado Springs ... stranded in Des Moines IA at the moment (failed at 3:48pm) but luckily I was a few miles from Kia dealer (closes 4:30pm). Didn’t shut off car fortunately and IA State Trooper lead the way and followed him thru backstreets to local Kia dealer right before close.

Dealer said they are backed up WEEKS for service and not sure when they can even look at car, let alone know how long it might be to get parts. No loaners morning dealer demos onsite as the GM gave up his car for prior customer with probs. Rentals non existent today ... luckily found a hotel down the street to at least stay the night ... but have to eat the cost of missed overnight hotel in Lincoln Nebraska as half-way stop 🤬because failure and shenanigans happened at the 4pm reservation cancellation window (double 🤬).

Hope to find rental to get to Colorado Springs (drooping grad off at AirForce Academy Thurs and would hate to miss it)...might be stuck here Sunday also. Rentals not plentiful right now.

2nd issue with Kia, beyond the recurring trans issue where it sounds like a hard metallic Kathunk sound and shudder of car starting from dead stop and there’s disagreement between electric and gas section who owns what and a clutch/gears don’t mesh or something...and trans starts slipping in gas mode...no answers for that one either when the trans module warnings came up on dash

Needless to say, Kia Corp USA Customer Service will hear from me Monday as I don’t look forward to a Chicago to Des Moines RoundTrip in future to pickup the Niro whenever it’ll be ready and if my regular local dealer can get me into a loaner while the Des Moines Dealer has my ride until whenever

Finally got my car back after 5 weeks at the dealer. Here is the list of items the techs did to get it back running again:

Appears that in addition to the 12v battery and fuses the wires and voltage protection device all needed to be replaced. I still have one issue that I need to get my dealer to fix; my spare smartkey fob no longer works and needs to be recoded.

·
Registered
421 Posts
WOW! I got struck by the Hybrid gremlin today at worst possible time ... Hybrid System Failure about 53k on odo (2017 Niro FE). Went into Limp Mode, radio/computer blathering on. Got off side of expressway close to exit ramp near local arteries...6 hours into trip from Chicago to Colorado Springs ... stranded in Des Moines IA at the moment (failed at 3:48pm) but luckily I was a few miles from Kia dealer (closes 4:30pm). Didn’t shut off car fortunately and IA State Trooper lead the way and followed him thru backstreets to local Kia dealer right before close.

Dealer said they are backed up WEEKS for service and not sure when they can even look at car, let alone know how long it might be to get parts. No loaners morning dealer demos onsite as the GM gave up his car for prior customer with probs. Rentals non existent today ... luckily found a hotel down the street to at least stay the night ... but have to eat the cost of missed overnight hotel in Lincoln Nebraska as half-way stop 🤬because failure and shenanigans happened at the 4pm reservation cancellation window (double 🤬).

Hope to find rental to get to Colorado Springs (drooping grad off at AirForce Academy Thurs and would hate to miss it)...might be stuck here Sunday also. Rentals not plentiful right now.

2nd issue with Kia, beyond the recurring trans issue where it sounds like a hard metallic Kathunk sound and shudder of car starting from dead stop and there’s disagreement between electric and gas section who owns what and a clutch/gears don’t mesh or something...and trans starts slipping in gas mode...no answers for that one either when the trans module warnings came up on dash

Needless to say, Kia Corp USA Customer Service will hear from me Monday as I don’t look forward to a Chicago to Des Moines RoundTrip in future to pickup the Niro whenever it’ll be ready and if my regular local dealer can get me into a loaner while the Des Moines Dealer has my ride until whenever
😕 That is a huge inconvenience -- so sorry to hear of your untimely breakdown.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts