Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove an 2018 EX Thursday in red. I was aware of some of the quirks driving a hybrid and they were on full display on my test drive. I don't have a problem with any of them.

Now for the problem, I would like to find an 2017 EX with power seat and sunroof in red. For 2018 that combo is above the $30,000 range. There aren't that many 2017 EX's with those options around and when I do find one it is way too far away. California has some and there is one in Washington state. Found a used one with 4000 miles in NC that is the closes I can find. Any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You are likely going to have to go with the 17 Launch Edition. But that only came in white or black but they probably still have a lot of those around. Getting a 17 EX with the tech package in red is going to be very hard at this stage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Drove an 2018 EX Thursday in red. I was aware of some of the quirks driving a hybrid and they were on full display on my test drive. I don't have a problem with any of them.

Now for the problem, I would like to find an 2017 EX with power seat and sunroof in red. For 2018 that combo is above the $30,000 range. There aren't that many 2017 EX's with those options around and when I do find one it is way too far away. California has some and there is one in Washington state. Found a used one with 4000 miles in NC that is the closes I can find. Any ideas?
Just curious, what were the "quirks" that you noticed?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, what were the "quirks" that you noticed?
First thing I noticed was the very slow to react brake petal. I was in traffic at the time, pretty scary if your not used to it.

The very sluggish throttle response. Seems like you have to press the accelerator too far to get the input that I am used to. On the other hand if you stomp on the petal pickup it is instant, I had the tires spinning.

I did notice when switching between gas and battery power. Didn't notice and surging that has been talked about on here.

None of it is a concern I got used to everything on my test drive. The only thing I didn't get to test out is how the Niro handles hills. I have a few steep hills I travel. Nothing more than a mile long but steep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is almost 0 difference between 2017 and 2018 version, so Kia Niro team is still collecting feedbacks from 2017 owners, it will take 2020 for next major redesign or any fix to the car. a dealer having 2017s sitting in his lot in 2018 is going to give reasonable win-win deal . If you can shop around multiple near dealers and have to do the dealer negotiation you might get better price.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is almost 0 difference between 2017 and 2018 version, so Kia Niro team is still collecting feedbacks from 2017 owners, it will take 2020 for next major redesign or any fix to the car. a dealer having 2017s sitting in his lot in 2018 is going to give reasonable win-win deal . If you can shop around multiple near dealers and have to do the dealer negotiation you might get better price.
My nearest dealer (70 miles) has only sold one Niro. The one I drove is only the second one they have had. Hard to find a deal around here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hope it isn't KIA in Fayetteville on Skibo. Those guys are only in business to separate soldiers from their money. Nothing else.

They had several thousand dollars added to Niro stickers as "market adjustment". Bunch of crooks, and downright rude. Lumbrerton KIA was so much better

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try NC RTP area (Cary, Raleigh, Wendell, Wake Forest), there are few kia dealers that still have 2017s in their lots. But it is moving fast we speak off christmas to new year weekend. Especially EXs are the hard to find ones, because its in the sweet spot of value of the price + MPG.

I started hunting down EXs in and around 50 miles radius of RTP from beginning of Dec, then i end up closing a reasonable win-win deal on 2017 EX touring launch edition + my old 04 civic trade-in (i am pretty sure i lost some money on the trade-in, but it was ok for me to drive up new car for 2018). And i have to compromise between MPG bit vs upgraded interior and exteriors for niro .

·
Registered
453 Posts
As to your test drive, yes, the brakes are not actually braking at first, they are simply turning the wheels into generators to recharge the battery. The mechanical brakes take a pretty firm push.

Use Sport mode to get rid of the lag when accelerating. My dealer didn't know about it and I didn't find out about it for a week of driving. Now I use it like an old fashioned overdrive transmission. Sport for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Shift back into normal for 4th thru 6th. Much more "normal" feeling.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope it isn't KIA in Fayetteville on Skibo. Those guys are only in business to separate soldiers from their money. Nothing else.

They had several thousand dollars added to Niro stickers as "market adjustment". Bunch of crooks, and downright rude. Lumbrerton KIA was so much better
I think that was the place, total idiots on the phone. Never got the call back that some rude girl told me I would get.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a used 2017 EX in Leesburg, FL. Waiting to hear back from the salesman. He wasn't sure if it had the sunroof. I see in the pix that it has a power seat so it must have the sunroof. I also need to know if it had been smoked in. There is nothing you can do to fix that. I tried once with a used car I bought, finally had to sell it. Wish there was someone that could look at the Niro for me. Thinking of buying and having it shipped, which is scary. Under $700 to have shipped to PA. I had my Big Dog K9 Chopper shipped from Boston with no problems using U-Ship.

·
Registered
68 Posts
just got a 2018 touring and I don't have any problem with the brakes. went on a long drive on snowy roads and it had good traction. this is the first front wheel drive I've had with traction control, works good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try NC RTP area (Cary, Raleigh, Wendell, Wake Forest), there are few kia dealers that still have 2017s in their lots. But it is moving fast we speak off christmas to new year weekend. Especially EXs are the hard to find ones, because its in the sweet spot of value of the price + MPG.

I started hunting down EXs in and around 50 miles radius of RTP from beginning of Dec, then i end up closing a reasonable win-win deal on 2017 EX touring launch edition + my old 04 civic trade-in (i am pretty sure i lost some money on the trade-in, but it was ok for me to drive up new car for 2018). And i have to compromise between MPG bit vs upgraded interior and exteriors for niro .
Some of the dealers in my area seem to have a lot of EX Touring Launch Editions still available from last year. How much did you end up paying for yours if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
First thing I noticed was the very slow to react brake petal. I was in traffic at the time, pretty scary if your not used to it.

The very sluggish throttle response. Seems like you have to press the accelerator too far to get the input that I am used to. On the other hand if you stomp on the petal pickup it is instant, I had the tires spinning.

I did notice when switching between gas and battery power. Didn't notice and surging that has been talked about on here.

None of it is a concern I got used to everything on my test drive. The only thing I didn't get to test out is how the Niro handles hills. I have a few steep hills I travel. Nothing more than a mile long but steep.

Wow, we barely touch the brake pedal and almost end up with whiplash. Easy braking uses the regenerative braking instead of regular brakes but when regular brakes kick in we can FEEL it. No acceleration problems here, either in regular drive mode or sport mode and never felt a switch between gas and battery. Maybe the break in period will adjust to your driving habits and result in a better experience?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm looking for a very specific color/trim also. Lot of dealers will actually trade with another dealership who has it to make the sale. There's also the option of having the dealer order from Kia directly...would take 6 weeks they said. 2018s for that though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had my dealer price me a 2018 with sunroof and power seat and it comes to over$33,000. I have found a 2017 with 32 miles for under $25000 plus tax.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
So I picked up my 2018 LX with advanced last night, and tonight I figured out how to get LKAS or lane keep assist to work (simple if 800 page manual is skimmed)! Just as I thought when I was shopping 2017 closeouts and no one was even coming close to 2018 prices for same trim when I tried Truecar quotes. So I immediately gave up on 2017 (which doesn't have LKAS in North America) because I knew for my long road trips that it would be great.

So it worked well on the 10 miles I drove tonight, in the dark, on four lanes, two lanes, and pretty curvy curves. Take a quick look at your cellphone while driving (I'd bet 90% of drivers do it) and this could save your life.

Here is a personal anecdote of a rollover that would have been avoided some three years ago if I had LKAS (or AEB) enabled car. Headed to BC from the Midwest for a nephew's wedding and wanted to check for which exit had the cheapest gas in Wyoming on Gas Buddy. Very light interstate traffic, and before I looked at the map, I checked traffic. Only one semi ahead about three quarters of a mile, no one within a mile behind me. What I didn't notice is that I was on a deceptive grade uphill and the semi was doing less than perhaps 40 mph. I was within three cars lengths of him doing 75 when I spotted him (we are talking about 20 seconds later). I made a violent lane change that required a large angle across the road and wasn't able to correct back on the asphalt before I hit the loose dry dirt of the median. Car turned 90 degrees to direction of travel and immediately rolled 360. No airbags deployed, I don't believe that car had side airbags anyway. Pretty amazing to walk away from a 75mph rollover! Obviously I didn't die, but I did break half a dozen ribs that took 9 months to heal (compared to 6 weeks when I broke ribs when I was young) - a lot of pain for sure. Yes, perhaps I made some errors in judgement, but those are exactly what current safety tech is helpful for. That was my only major accident in some 45 years of driving and it was certainly major. My car was totaled of course and I replaced it with an identical low mileage 2001 on the trip after the wedding on the West Coast.

Knock down a trim level and you will pay a similar price for a 2018. Personally, I will go for functionality over luxury any day. I'm also feeling quite pampered by my LX versus my 2001 car, but perhaps any new car would have done that. As a bonus, your Niro will get better mpg lowering further your cost of ownership. There are pretty good odds that gas will be well over three dollars by summertime.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the reasons I'm going for the ex with technology package is to get the autonomous braking and Lane assist. Besides the 2017 model is quite a bit cheaper with sunroof and power seat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts