Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the past day cruising forums, reading reviews, watching videos, and reading the owners manual. I am scheduled to pick the car up Tuesday at noon but have a few concerns and I'm hoping you folks here could help me out...

First, I live in Connecticut and am trading in a 2019 Forte a year early on my lease. I love the car but need something a touch bigger, and more mileage (started a new job and i'm already several thousands miles over on the lease!) I wasn't shopping for a hybrid but the orange Nero caught my eye and I fell in love...Then the practical side came out and I have some questions...

1) I have a job where I MUST report to work for no matter the weather. I have an older pickup truck that I generally drive in crappy weather, but need a winter capable vehicle (average snow storms I want to take the Niro...if we get hammered i'm taking the truck). I realized after about an hour of drooling over the Niro, it is not AWD, So...how have you fared in the snow?? I have a short driveway, but its on a halfway decent incline. I have to put my truck in 4WD if I don't salt the crap out of my driveway. How are the stock tires at handling and traction...anyone throw a snow set on? If you have done a snow set, have you put them on their own rims and installed TPMS in them? Do they sync up or do you have to take it somewhere every time you swap tires out.

2) Car seats...How well does a rear facing car seat fit? A pregnant mom was trading her's in the day I did the test drive. She said it was pretty roomy, but she had a second on the way and would be cramming two car seats in. I'll be in the same boat soon, but my son is 6 so his car seat is pretty compact now.

3) What features work through the EVO link? When I type the VIN into the EVO on line system, it says the vehicle isn't compatible, but the dealer swears it is. I downloaded the app, put the VIN in and it accepted it, but I cant see all the features until I active the system.

4) This is my first hybrid vehicle...I live in a state where we go from 0 in the winter to 100 in the summers. How does the vehicle perform? How well do the batteries hold up over time? I intend this to be a long term vehicle...Do I need to worry about replacing the battery after 5 years or losing a substantial amount of juice? I know it has a **** good warranty, but i'm sure that accounts for battery loss and wear overtime. Just wondering what to expect.

These are the ones that smacked me in the face right away. I have more but these are the priorities!

Thank you all

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Think Prius. The Niro similar in abilities with a slightly higher view and better looks. Some Prii are now 20 years old with original battery. Third party batteries can be installed for well under $2,000 but of course, there are a lot on the road, after market will not be as good for Niros. But still, battery life should be very long, the battery management system is very conservative.

Niros sell plenty in Canada where for many residents, snow tires are a legal requirement to have fitted seasonally. Handling in snow is better than any car I've owned (with the stock OEM tires) but they have all been two wheel drive. Can understand the concern with your driveway.

EVO? Who cares? I've never seen any praise for it, just complaints. Mine noted my parking spot for like the first month.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've spent the past day cruising forums, reading reviews, watching videos, and reading the owners manual. I am scheduled to pick the car up Tuesday at noon but have a few concerns and I'm hoping you folks here could help me out...

First, I live in Connecticut and am trading in a 2019 Forte a year early on my lease. I love the car but need something a touch bigger, and more mileage (started a new job and i'm already several thousands miles over on the lease!) I wasn't shopping for a hybrid but the orange Nero caught my eye and I fell in love...Then the practical side came out and I have some questions...

1) I have a job where I MUST report to work for no matter the weather. I have an older pickup truck that I generally drive in crappy weather, but need a winter capable vehicle (average snow storms I want to take the Niro...if we get hammered i'm taking the truck). I realized after about an hour of drooling over the Niro, it is not AWD, So...how have you fared in the snow?? I have a short driveway, but its on a halfway decent incline. I have to put my truck in 4WD if I don't salt the crap out of my driveway. How are the stock tires at handling and traction...anyone throw a snow set on? If you have done a snow set, have you put them on their own rims and installed TPMS in them? Do they sync up or do you have to take it somewhere every time you swap tires out.

2) Car seats...How well does a rear facing car seat fit? A pregnant mom was trading her's in the day I did the test drive. She said it was pretty roomy, but she had a second on the way and would be cramming two car seats in. I'll be in the same boat soon, but my son is 6 so his car seat is pretty compact now.

3) What features work through the EVO link? When I type the VIN into the EVO on line system, it says the vehicle isn't compatible, but the dealer swears it is. I downloaded the app, put the VIN in and it accepted it, but I cant see all the features until I active the system.

4) This is my first hybrid vehicle...I live in a state where we go from 0 in the winter to 100 in the summers. How does the vehicle perform? How well do the batteries hold up over time? I intend this to be a long term vehicle...Do I need to worry about replacing the battery after 5 years or losing a substantial amount of juice? I know it has a **** good warranty, but i'm sure that accounts for battery loss and wear overtime. Just wondering what to expect.

These are the ones that smacked me in the face right away. I have more but these are the priorities!

Thank you all
We have a 19 Niro in Winnipeg Manitoba . The car is very stable in the snow with winter tires . In fact I've never owned a 4 wd but the Niro is the best car that I've ever owned for summer or winter .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think Prius. The Niro similar in abilities with a slightly higher view and better looks. Some Prii are now 20 years old with original battery. Third party batteries can be installed for well under $2,000 but of course, there are a lot on the road, after market will not be as good for Niros. But still, battery life should be very long, the battery management system is very conservative.

Niros sell plenty in Canada where for many residents, snow tires are a legal requirement to have fitted seasonally. Handling in snow is better than any car I've owned (with the stock OEM tires) but they have all been two wheel drive. Can understand the concern with your driveway.

EVO? Who cares? I've never seen any praise for it, just complaints. Mine noted my parking spot for like the first month.

Awesome thank you. As far as EVO I like technology and want to use it for the remote start feature rather then adding an after market remote starter. I appreciate your feed back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a 19 Niro in Winnipeg Manitoba . The car is very stable in the snow with winter tires . In fact I've never owned a 4 wd but the Niro is the best car that I've ever owned for summer or winter .
Thats great thank you so much for the feed back!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
Awesome thank you. As far as EVO I like technology and want to use it for the remote start feature rather then adding an after market remote starter. I appreciate your feed back!
EVO works just fine on my '19 PHEV. I can start the heat/AC remotely, turn the heated steering wheel on, as well as activate the rear window defroster and front defrost. Be aware that when you are using these settings that the four way flashers activate on the car, which I really wish I could disable. Also, for my '19 I have 3 years of UVO at no charge, but I believe for 2020 they dropped it to one year, so after that you have to subscribe to the service. You can view the different services and the costs here. UVO Link

·
Registered
131 Posts

Thank you all
The OEM Michelin Energy Savers are a premium tire with low rolling resistance for excellent fuel economy, long tread life, and excellent wet traction. But they are not a winter snow tire. As far as bad weather goes, you will not be able to drive through flooded roads as you'll put the hybrid lithium batteries and and car at risk. You will likely have problems with your inclined driveway. Check if there's a spare tire, as my PHEV only came with a tire inflator kit which was useless in the two sidewall punctures I've had. I found UVO useless on my Niro; it doesn't work so I don't use it.
As far as years of usage on batteries, it depends on how many miles you plan to put on each year. Based on reports with the Prius, I've seen end of life reported in the range 180,000 to 200,000 miles. For me, that's 10 years, and then I'll see about refurbished batteries. I hope you've test driven the Niro, it has excellent fuel economy at the sacrifice of high performance. If you need something more robust, good for at least 300,000 miles with AWD, and fuel economy is not the first priority, I'd look to something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The OEM Michelin Energy Savers are a premium tire with low rolling resistance for excellent fuel economy, long tread life, and excellent wet traction. But they are not a winter snow tire. As far as bad weather goes, you will not be able to drive through flooded roads as you'll put the hybrid lithium batteries and and car at risk. You will likely have problems with your inclined driveway. Check if there's a spare tire, as my PHEV only came with a tire inflator kit which was useless in the two sidewall punctures I've had. I found UVO useless on my Niro; it doesn't work so I don't use it.
As far as years of usage on batteries, it depends on how many miles you plan to put on each year. Based on reports with the Prius, I've seen end of life reported in the range 180,000 to 200,000 miles. For me, that's 10 years, and then I'll see about refurbished batteries. I hope you've test driven the Niro, it has excellent fuel economy at the sacrifice of high performance. If you need something more robust, good for at least 300,000 miles with AWD, and fuel economy is not the first priority, I'd look to something else.
I definitely saw the tires on it were more of a performance tire then an all around tire. I'm definitely thinking snow tires will be a must. I drive around 15,000 miles a year so I should be good for the 10 years I plan to keep the car on what you said above. I still have my truck so hopefully that lasts for bad weather. I did drive it...High performance is not important to me. I need something comfortable to drive back and forth to the two jobs I have on a regular basis and something safe for my family. Big decision will be made in the morning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2020 Touring SE comes with a spare tire. It is on the Monroney sticker, on the left column, in the same sentence that says you get the 18" tires. Ensure you get the tire, correct storage insert to hold the tire and tools, and the tools themselves, including a jack.

You only get 1 year of UVO and it is slow and the app is a bit clunky. On the 2020 TSE, you get: remote start with customisable HVAC settings, with a max running time of 10 mins; remote lock and unlock, valet mode, and you can turn on the horn and lights. You can create a schedule for daily remote start, set up curfews, get the car to tattle to you if someone speeds and set up a geofence.

While the remote start and unlock are useful, these are not $250 useful to me, so will almost certainly let it lapse after the initial free year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2020 Touring SE comes with a spare tire. It is on the Monroney sticker, on the left column, in the same sentence that says you get the 18" tires. Ensure you get the tire, correct storage insert to hold the tire and tools, and the tools themselves, including a jack.

You only get 1 year of UVO and it is slow and the app is a bit clunky. On the 2020 TSE, you get: remote start with customisable HVAC settings, with a max running time of 10 mins; remote lock and unlock, valet mode, and you can turn on the horn and lights. You can create a schedule for daily remote start, set up curfews, get the car to tattle to you if someone speeds and set up a geofence.

While the remote start and unlock are useful, these are not $250 useful to me, so will almost certainly let it lapse after the initial free year.
Interesting ab out the tire...Dealer website only said the spare tire kit, not a spare tire. I will have to poke around for that. That is HUGE if it comes with one.

I would much prefer a remote start with the key fob but I assume they did that on purpose to get people to pay the subscription fee. I'll see how it goes the first year. Appreciate the feedback!

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
The PHEV absolutely does not have a spare tire (the battery takes up too much space), but I've always heard the HEV does come with one. That said, if it's on the Monroney, it's required to be included with the car. So check both the label and the car for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you! They are going to order the spare tire at no cost. I never would have noticed that but it was on the sticker. Dealer didn't even know but they didn't argue.

Also, The UVO app is certainly clunky, but I also don't want an aftermarket starter. See how the year goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thank you all
I have a 100K miles on mine already. I work 2 hours from where i live.. did alot of city miles for work purposes. Niro is durable, very reliable but it does not hold feel of driving. Its a clear purpose vehicles that you can put alot of miles. Its been very reliable and i came to know it hold up very well in long term reading the reviews. Someone in this forum had 250K miles already on original brakes with Regen. My 2019 Niro LX has regular all season tires so dnt knw much about snow handling but it got things done for me during winter in NJ. Has great mileage of above 52MPH in summer. Winter is around 45mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 100K miles on mine already. I work 2 hours from where i live.. did alot of city miles for work purposes. Niro is durable, very reliable but it does not hold feel of driving. Its a clear purpose vehicles that you can put alot of miles. Its been very reliable and i came to know it hold up very well in long term reading the reviews. Someone in this forum had 250K miles already on original brakes with Regen. My 2019 Niro LX has regular all season tires so dnt knw much about snow handling but it got things done for me during winter in NJ. Has great mileage of above 52MPH in summer. Winter is around 45mph.
I have 77K miles on 2017 LX with approximately 45.5 mpg. We love this vehicle! My only regret is not getting heated side-view mirrors and steering wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I made the purchase and am loving it so far. I definitely wish the air conditioned seats were an option with the orange SE model but it has everything else. I'm learning the intricacies of the vehicle now. After spending two days getting pissed I couldn't get the battery fully charged, I read some information on here as to why that is normal. Pricing out winter tires now.

Thank you all for all your help!!

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I drove a Nissan Leaf yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was how warm the seats were. It was low 80sF here yesterday, and even with cloth seats they were quite warm. Got back into my Niro and turned the seat fan on. Not certain I can give that up now... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you all
We have a 2020 Niro PHEV EX plug in & it is a fantastic vehicle. No problems in snow & we live in Upstate NY. We just did a trip to Staunton VA traveling 70 to 75mph & our average mpg for the 1,200 mi trip was 54.2 mpg ( starting out with a full charge). We now have about 6,680 miles on it & love everything about it. We also have a 2009 Sorento V6 but the average mpg with that is about 22mpg. It is our tow behind car for our Motorhome. The Niro handling is superb & a fun car to drive The steering assist took a little getting used to but love it now. You won't be sorry you bought it. I charge it at home & there is a small increase in our electric bill but nothing to cry about. The dynamic breaking is also fantastic & you can adjust that to your liking. We love it!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
After spending two days getting pissed I couldn't get the battery fully charged, I read some information on here as to why that is normal
You can "fully" charge by driving in Sport Mode, but that can decrease battery life and costs more to use extra gasoline. Very poor bang for the buck. There can be limited utility, like if you want to go up a mountain grade at 75 mph, a full battery to help assist drive torque could be helpful.

I do pay attention to charge level, because it lets me know how much to baby the throttle for the first and last few miles where EV mode pays off the best. I don't bother anymore trying to trick the algorithms at highway speed to invoke EV mode - then it is a zero sum game, certainly no measurable gains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts