Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my first post on this forum I talks about my excitement about the new Kia Niro. That excitement has sadly turned to disappointment. With more news coming out about prices it looks like Kia will price the Niro too high for me. I still like the Niro but was hoping to get into a midrange model for less then what the base model will be selling for. $28,000 to well over $35,000 is just too much for a daily driver I am going to beat the **** out of. I think Kia is screwing up pricing the Niro higher then the Prius.
Now I'm stuck on what to buy, I wanted to get something this winter or spring. Trying to stay away from Chevy (Cruz Hatchback). The Civic HB is going to be too ugly and they are not going to redo the Honda Fit until 2018. Sorry Kia unless the prices are lower I am out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Would you consider the Honda HRV? That to me seems like a great option for someone who was originally interested in the Niro.

Fortunately those HRV's have been out for a while now, so there's a good chance you can test drive one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to get into something nice in the less then $28,000 range. I can get a nice Prius for less than that.
The H-RV doesn't get the MPG's I want or need, besides they only sell the AWD around here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not too fond of the Prius but if it'll be purposeful for your travels, it'll work out. What about the Ioniq that's coming out ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be looking at the Ioniq and waiting on the Cruze hatchback also. Cruze rated at 42 mpg highway for mid 20's. It's not worth $10,000 more to gain 8mpg with a Niro.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I will be looking at the Ioniq and waiting on the Cruze hatchback also. Cruze rated at 42 mpg highway for mid 20's. It's not worth $10,000 more to gain 8mpg with a Niro.
Good choice.
I think Hyundai also has plans to do fleet programs for some car sharing companies and some transportation companies like Uber, so there's a good chance parts for the Ioniq will be cheap enough, even on a aftermarket OEM spec level. Another way to benefit. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Never thought of price per mpg actually.. that's a good way to look at this as well. Hyundai was teaming up with Lyft if I remember correctly ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am always thinking about price/mpg. When I was looking at a used Chevy Volt I ran figures until I was blind but the figures just don't work for me. If I could plug it in at work for free I would be golden.

Something else I noticed about the Niro the back seats don't fold flat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't understand why they won't design headrests to allow the rear seats to be folded down flat. That's the point of a crossover/suv, to carry a lot more than a sedan. I the rear seat really slanted?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I seen in a video the seats fold flat but the seat backs folded flat stick up two or three inches higher then the floor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's more than enough to bother the heck out of me, I'd want fully flat and that would be a make or break situation.. call me picky

·
Registered
198 Posts
It just gets annoying when there's an angle and you're trying to pack things in but they keep sliding back towards you because of that 2-3 inch incline. Other than that, the Kia Niro seems to be the perfect vehicle for me. Just need to wait a year after the initial release so the prices can go down and there's more space for negotiation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea.. that definitely grinds my gears. I'll definitely be waiting a while as well for the same reasons. Doesn't make sense for me to spend all that money brand new when the markup and everything is still there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1st time in.... The thing I do not like about the Pius is that it looks like a hybrid.. Bought a Ford CMax in 2013..{maybe Ford's best kept secret)... Ready in 2017 for another hybrid... I really like the pics and specs on the Niro... But as others have mentioned... Concerned about price.. We only buy the top loaded level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Prius vs CMax vs Niro

1st time in.... The thing I do not like about the Pius is that it looks like a hybrid.. Bought a Ford CMax in 2013..{maybe Ford's best kept secret)... Ready in 2017 for another hybrid... I really like the pics and specs on the Niro... But as others have mentioned... Concerned about price.. We only buy the top loaded level.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I didn't even know what a C Max was until you brought that up and I google searched it. Do you do trade ins or private sale ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw a release price of the Niro of just over 21,000 British Pounds which calculated out to just over 26,000 US dollars. If it starts there, I'm in.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts