Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been a passenger injured and involved in a fatal crash a few years ago, I am so happy to read this news.

Still loving my new Niro!

"The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has recently tested the 2018 Kia Niro, and the car came out well. The organization gave it the Top Safety Pick+ award, which goes to cars that meet the organization's most stringent safety requirements. While good on its own, the Niro's new commendation also stands out because its corporate cousin, the Hyundai Ioniq, and its close competitor the Toyota Prius only received the plain Top Safety Pick award."

Reactions: kingtermite

·
Registered
73 Posts
FYI, only the Niro with LED headlights scored the best award. Headlights on other models rated poor.
Good thing windshield wipers weren't rated, my only complaint.
I can't imagine being in a bad auto accident. That would haunt me forever. Crash ratings were high on my list in my search for an everyday driver. I had relied on the European tests when I bought mine, which were also excellent.
Add in the Join D Powers Initial Quality awards, way to go Kia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm pretty sure they tested the HID headlights, which are not LED. They did not like the lower trim Halogen headlights. The daytime running lights on my EX are LED, the main headlights are HID. I believe they have not yet tested the main LED headlights on the higher trims.

2018 Kia Niro hybrid click on headlights on the right

How hard would it be to convert Niro to led headlights and would it be worth it? Thx

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you read the report, you would see they tested two different headlight variations available for this vehicle:

Trim 1: EX Premium/Touring. Headlight type: HID projector. Rating: Good.

Trim 2: FE/LX/EX. Headlight type: Halogen projector. Rating: Poor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also checked the Owner's Manual under Replacement Bulbs. It lists three possible headlamp (Low/High) types.

1. HID type uses a 25-W D8S type bulb, which uses Xenon.

2. Standard type uses a 60-W HB3 / HL+ type bulb, which uses Halogen.

3. LED type uses LEDs.

PS: My PHEV LX has the HID projector type.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seen the HID setup for myself in person but I can't help to think about how much better it could be. I bet there are some protectors and lens setups that would be ideal retrofits for the Niro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts