Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found Weathertech Window Deflectors for my 2018 Niro. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'll install them and upload photos. I have done a lot of searching and most of them are not very good looking. Including the Kia Factory ones.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had the Weathertechs on 3 other cars. Good product that worked well. My only criticism of them is that they are big enough that they reduce visibility somewhat, especially at the low end in the area of the sail window.

For my Niro I went with an ebay product found in this discussion: First week of ownership www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Smoked-Window-Sun-Vent-Visor-Rain-Guards-for-2017-2019-Kia-Niro/143291023725?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I like them better than the Weathertechs as they are less bulky and don't obscure outward view as much. Install was simple and cost is also very reasonable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are these Tape-on or in-channel. I don't trust the tape-on to stay put. As for the price, the Weathertech's are $114.95.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are these Tape-on or in-channel. I don't trust the tape-on to stay put. As for the price, the Weathertech's are $114.95.
I have the eBay cheapo stick on ones now going on 3 years. No worries about coming off, in fact, I dropped my kayak on the front passenger side one and broke a big chunk out of it but it never came loose. Also hit the rear passenger one on a tree branch and cracked it. It is still stuck on hard. I gorilla taped the broken pieces back in place and they stuck just fine.

One day I will replace them, if I can get them off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They had the Kia Deflectors On mine when I bought it. I took them off and gave them away. I do not like rain deflectors They are pretty ugly.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I really liked these rain guard photos sightland posted. Looks like a low noise and efficient design mpg wise and not as intrusive looks wise as other designs. I was going to buy them this spring, but this thread reminded me of them so I ordered them today. Took me a while to find them as the forum search engine failed but a Google search of this site came through. The original eBay seller doesn't have them in stock but with additional searching (those photos really helped) I think I found the identical ones here. "For Niro" is molded into them and the maker's logo SNFE.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For my Niro I went with an ebay product found in this discussion: First week of ownership www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Smoked-Window-Sun-Vent-Visor-Rain-Guards-for-2017-2019-Kia-Niro/143291023725?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I like them better than the Weathertechs as they are less bulky and don't obscure outward view as much. Install was simple and cost is also very reasonable.
Sorry, didn't realize these were the identical rain guards (out of stock). Hard to tell from a quick look at eBay. Thank goodness for sightland's excellent photos. How have they been holding up for you?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think those are the same ones I have. They are clouding from UV, do I'd bet that there isn't much UV protection in the plastic.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm a bit surprised though. In sightland's picture, they look almost black and I can see his reflection. Is it a surface cloudiness, or only when sun is shining through? I guess for less than $30 one cannot expect too much although I cannot imagine it is that costly to add some UV protection. Unless I go out of state to work, it is garage parked most of the time so it should last a while.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine are holding up fine so far, car parked outside mostly. Of course in Seattle UV clouding may be less of an issue than in a location with more than 100 days of sun :unsure:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yea, I'm in the North Carolina sandhills area. We get strong sun for most of the year. Also, my Niro lives outdoors, wife gets the garage.

Happy wife, happy life!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yea, I'm in the North Carolina sandhills area. We get strong sun for most of the year. Also, my Niro lives outdoors, wife gets the garage.

Happy wife, happy life!
Happy wife, happy life, cloudy deflectors!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nice clean look typical of WeatherTech ?
Since they attach via window channels, they don't partially cover the chrome window trim which is a disadvantage of some of ones that attach by tape above the window channels.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I received the SFNE wind deflectors today. They are made in Korea and look as nice as sightlands photos. They would look slightly better if the window trim was black instead of chrome - win to the in-channel style. They also look like they are a very minimal addition to the frontal area, unlike a lot of bulbous examples I see. The Niro is the first car I've had without rain channels and with windows cracked it does tend to drop water inside. So I think this will be a nice functional upgrade.

Being a picky guy I noticed a couple things less than perfect. The front window curve is about 1/8 inch off. I was able to bend them that much (they were very stiff though) but don't know if the adhesive tape will hold that adjustment. Which brings up number two issue. The tape width is less than half of the available area on the window trim. You cannot add tape as the deflector molding is only that width. Perhaps they did that to move it farther away from the window top for more effective window cracking. Has to be very sticky tape! Apparently so as now two members here have installed it without an issue.

20 degrees high today. I'm going to wait until spring to install. Pretty sure the tape will hold better when installed in warmer temperatures.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
105 Posts
They had the Kia Deflectors On mine when I bought it. I took them off and gave them away. I do not like rain deflectors They are pretty ugly.
Right. And who drives around with their windows cracked (due to noise, etc.). I thought those went out decades ago, when Honda quit forcing them on people for the Accords. I personally see no reason for them, and don't like the looks. They just seem very old school, and while I am (old school), don't want them on my car. Of course, the people posting having bought them here disagree, and that's fine. There's a product for everyone.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm honestly not sure I'll like them, but without trying them, the positives slightly outweigh the negatives for me at the moment. One concern I have about the glued on style is how they will perform at the car wash. As I did last year, I have purchased a month of car washes for road salt season. Seems like those big brushes are sure to find any weaknesses of rain deflectors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You appear to be the kind of person that would tell a pregnant woman that she is going to have an ugly baby. My parents taught me that if you can't say anything nice , don't say anything at all. By characterizing these deflectors as "Pretty Ugly" you insult all those who have installed them. I hope that in your future posts you can try to be less negative.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
105 Posts
Well, ugly, like pretty, is in the eye of the beholder. I and others were simply stating our opinion. If some can say they really like the looks of them, then others should be able to say they don't. I don't take your comment that you DO like them as an insult to me because I didn't get them. It's kinda the same thing.

I think that back in the day when they were first introduced, they may have made a lot of sense, being a way to crack one or more windows open, without getting rain inside the car. Like the 50s and 60s cars with the small turning vent window in front of the front side window. But obviously, that does create wind sound, and with today's car's ventilation and HVAC systems, it seems unnecessary. I didn't think many people like to drive with a window cracked these days (of course smokers might /really/ want that).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts