Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August, I bought a 2-17 Niro EX with only 5000 miles on it. A couple months ago I started getting Check Engine and Check Hybrid System lights, although the car was running fine. I took it in for the recalls, and had them check out why the warning lights. Long story short, they have had the car for four weeks, finding the warning that there was a bad traction battery module connection, but after fixing that the warnings stayed. I am now waiting for a new traction battery to be shipped and installed. Kia Central has been involved, and the dealer has given me a loaner car.

I just hope I don't have a lemon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In August, I bought a 2-17 Niro EX with only 5000 miles on it. A couple months ago I started getting Check Engine and Check Hybrid System lights, although the car was running fine. I took it in for the recalls, and had them check out why the warning lights. Long story short, they have had the car for four weeks, finding the warning that there was a bad traction battery module connection, but after fixing that the warnings stayed. I am now waiting for a new traction battery to be shipped and installed. Kia Central has been involved, and the dealer has given me a loaner car.

I just hope I don't have a lemon.
Good day. Too bad you experienced the same error i got from a brand new 2019 Niro, bought last Dec 28, 2018. I hade the same error when the temp is so cold (-18 below)and the Car wont start. Been in and out or the dealership 3x. Hope it will be fixed this time. Were ypu able to grt ur vehicle back this time? We are located in Manitoba btw. May i know where u at?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of New York. Problem did emerge when the weather got cold.

I got the car back after exactly four weeks, with a traction battery replacement. Covered by warranty.

KIA central had called and said they would offer me something to compensate me, but now I have not heard from them, in spite of emailing them.

Car is running fine now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of New York. Problem did emerge when the weather got cold.

I got the car back after exactly four weeks, with a traction battery replacement. Covered by warranty.

KIA central had called and said they would offer me something to compensate me, but now I have not heard from them, in spite of emailing them.

Car is running fine now.
Good to hear your problem has been resolved. I remember you from Prius Chat. Let us know if you ever get compensated and hope your Niro stays problem free.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Car is running fine now.
Thats good news. I hope your car will stay OK. Did kia confirm that the cold was the reason for the error? May i know how cold was it that time when your vehicle had that problem? Maybe i can suggest Kia canada to check my cars traction battery. They've been it contact with the technical Assistance and engineers from B.C. but untill now they cant seem to get to the root of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cold is not the cause, merely the condition that exposes the fault. The techs were getting error codes indicating bad connections to one or more of the battery cells. The entire battery got replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts