Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro Hybrid MY20
6 Posts
My S10e is working fine with wireless charging, got new Niro hybrid today. Android Auto does not work at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not surprised. It takes me 3-5 attempts before it starts working. Wastes several minutes of my time each time I try to use it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2017 Niro and my 2020 Niro both connect perfectly to Android Auto until my cables wear down. I'm gonna have to order a new cable since after 2 years my latest monoprice cable is now disconnecting when the phone gets moved or bumped. I've had really good luck with this

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried multiple cables and multiple phones, all with the same issues, I'm going to have to say that this is a Head Unit issue or the car's USB connection.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
75 Posts
Kia needs to consider using Bluetooth instead of USB. The USB connection is not robust and I lost connection several times, after passing a speed bump and need to spend some time at the middle of driving to fix the connection or switch to the map.

Also, not sure why it is hard to find a good USB cable. I am not a fan of Amazon basic electronic tools (see the reviews and some safety issues including the USB cable). Not a fan of having a possible fire in my car, because of saving a few bucks on a USB cable. To reduce the prices, some might reduce the quality or reduce the required safety tests to pass a product quality. Regarding Amazon basics, I mainly buy non-electric products like bag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the Bluetooth. I'm going to bring my car to the dealer and complain about this issue, using the navigation/Android auto is not safe due to being disconnected approx. 3 or 4 times per hour. I let you know what the dealer says or does to remedy this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Wireless CarPlay is now here, but I don't know if Kia has wireless AA yet. My new Bolt has wireless CarPlay, and it seems to drain the battery faster, even if I'm not actually using any app on the phone. That of course is all CarPlay related, not the car itself. At least when you use the USB cable the phone is charged at the same time.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
75 Posts
I purchased JSAUX USB-A to USB-C cables from Amazon, half a year ago, and so far so good. Sometimes, the phone disconnects and re-connects after passing road bumps while driving. I did not try other cables to see whether they can perform better. I guess, it is a major issue due to using cables but not Bluetooth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree! By time I sit inside my 21 Niro Hybrid, it has connected to my wife's android phone so that has to be disconnected before I can connect mine, and when I am alone, it has already connected to my android phone, BUT when I attempt to do anything for a GPS map guidance, it disconnects and I have to try to reconnect! Indeed a problem Kia should know about, but since it's really not their problem, and it takes up to a minute to reconnect! Will they even care? I even wonder if when clients complain about this bluetooth problem, if they even bother to pass it on to others in reference?

takes me 3-5 attempts before it starts working. Wastes several minutes of my time each time I try to use it.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
75 Posts
They will not fix such issues, unless there would be several complains that result governments to react and push the car company to fix them. They may fix them in the new models.

For example, Niro 2020 has an annoying shiny dash issue. 2021 comes with the same issue but it seems that they are fixing it in 2022 but it is strange that they do not recall the cars in the market to fix such safety issues.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Much of the time you have an apparent cable fault, it is actually lint in your phone port. It can be hard to remove and can be so impacted and hard you cannot see it. I've never had a cable fail in some 11 years of using iPhones. Can't imagine Android cables would fail faster - USB-C, right?

For my personal use, I typically have to clean out impacted lint about every 15 months. However, my headphones stopped working on my latest phone after just 12 months requiring a cleaning. Strangely, my car cable worked fine, just my headphones failed (got a never before seen error that my headphones were not compatible). Wiggling the headphone jack (the Lightning port on recent iPhones) got them to work briefly.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
75 Posts
For my next car, I will look for cars with Bluetooth/wifi connection for map, side camera and no more shiny dash. If it works with iphone but not android, one solution can be purchasing one iphone (anyway, I do not like to cover the mistake of car company by paying ~1k from my pocket).

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
12 Posts
So I've discovered that the USB C connection on the phone is pretty critical. If I use the OEM Samsung cable with tighter tolerances, the cable stays in place longer and I lose connection less frequently.

This is actually aggravating me enough that I don't plug in my phone most of the time and am thinking of switching to iPhone. but BIG problem with apple carplay is that they don't allow you to move around the map while in navigation mode
Yes, you can move around the map on Apple Maps. I'm not sure if this only applies to newer wireless CarPlay, but both our '21 Rio and '21 Niro (8" screen) do this.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
75 Posts
If Android Auto data transfer via USB cable is less reliable vs Apple CarPlay (with cable), I guess it might be due to the way that the phone company (e.g. Samsung) or Android does data transfer and error correction algo via the USB port. I did some searches and could not find any data over internet. It might be better to reach out the phone companies and Kia to ask about the issues. If a person has two phones, he/she might examine both with the same cable and report here the results.

How is the Android Auto connection in Kia Niro 2021 or EV6 to the phone? Is it still via cable?

If I find an Apple phone with a large discount around Christmas, I may purchase one. But I have less motivation to spend ~1k on a new phone, while my Samsung S8 still works fine now.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts