Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Inconsistent Android Auto connection?

19K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Lamagyar 
#1 ·
Anyone having issues where your phone loses connection to your car via USB?
I have a weekly 3hr drive and I lose connection every hour or so at random, but it's still charging my phone. So my phone shows there's USB connection but my car kicks me off of android auto and gives me a USB error message.

I've been using the original samsung OEM cable, tried 4 different brand and can't find a solution!

Reactions: robbratton
#31 ·
They will not fix such issues, unless there would be several complains that result governments to react and push the car company to fix them. They may fix them in the new models.

For example, Niro 2020 has an annoying shiny dash issue. 2021 comes with the same issue but it seems that they are fixing it in 2022 but it is strange that they do not recall the cars in the market to fix such safety issues.

#32 ·
Much of the time you have an apparent cable fault, it is actually lint in your phone port. It can be hard to remove and can be so impacted and hard you cannot see it. I've never had a cable fail in some 11 years of using iPhones. Can't imagine Android cables would fail faster - USB-C, right?

For my personal use, I typically have to clean out impacted lint about every 15 months. However, my headphones stopped working on my latest phone after just 12 months requiring a cleaning. Strangely, my car cable worked fine, just my headphones failed (got a never before seen error that my headphones were not compatible). Wiggling the headphone jack (the Lightning port on recent iPhones) got them to work briefly.

#35 ·
If Android Auto data transfer via USB cable is less reliable vs Apple CarPlay (with cable), I guess it might be due to the way that the phone company (e.g. Samsung) or Android does data transfer and error correction algo via the USB port. I did some searches and could not find any data over internet. It might be better to reach out the phone companies and Kia to ask about the issues. If a person has two phones, he/she might examine both with the same cable and report here the results.

How is the Android Auto connection in Kia Niro 2021 or EV6 to the phone? Is it still via cable?

If I find an Apple phone with a large discount around Christmas, I may purchase one. But I have less motivation to spend ~1k on a new phone, while my Samsung S8 still works fine now.

#37 ·
Finally, I went to the dealership to cover three issues under warranty in my Kia Niro EV 2020:
  • Navigation update via USB could not work.
  • Wireless charger could not work.
  • The USB cable connection is not trustworthy and disconnects/connects at some points.
The USB port was working correctly in read/write. Therefore, I suspect error correction algo or software issues while using USB. If the connection would be via Bluetooth, like other cars, definitely there would not be such issues. I changed several cables, cleaned all ports with compressed air but I could not fix the issue.

Also, it turned out that the wireless charger module was not installed. Is it the case in all Niro EV 2020? How can I find the typical configuration of the purchased car to see whether it should get added or not under warranty?

#38 ·
@xenon2060 what trim level is your car? I think the wireless charger was only in the top trim level (EX Premium) in the US. Just noticed you show yours as the EX. After a bit of online searching, I found a Kia spec page that lists the wireless charger as only available in the EX Premium in 2020. Wasn't even an available option in yours. Here's the link I found: https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/niro-ev/2020/features

Reactions: xenon2060
#40 ·
I hate Android Auto. Even the most recent version. It's just too limiting. Doesn't matter which car. Google Pixel 3 XL, fully updated. I have my phone in a vent mount, and use bluetooth for phone and streaming music through the car. Very satisfactory arrangement. Not trying to talk you out of it if you like it, so just sayin'.

#41 ·
If I just used audio, I might just use the phone without Android Auto.

As others have posted, a high-quality cable makes the difference in connection reliability. I had been using the built-in navigation in the car more until I tried a better cable.

I like to use Waze for navigation because of its capability to see and report road issues (Maps has some of that now). For that, the car's screen is more convenient than putting my phone in the middle of the windshield.

#45 ·
Interesting. How did you do it? Did you attach the adapter to the USB port of the car? Can you take a picture and post it here?

To solve the connection issue, I followed the prior recommendations. I purchased a new USB cable and I kept it attached to the USB port all the time. I did not have connection issue in the past 5 months :)

#46 ·
I have the 2017 Touring Edition Niro. My phone began disconnecting from the USB about six months into my purchase. At first, it would happen every 30-60 minutes. Service could never figure out why. I tried multiple different cords. It also happened with my wife's Apple. (I have had Samsung Android phones). Oh yeah, this problem has continued with three different Android phones and two different Apple phones. The last couple years, it disconnected about every 10-15 minutes. Just lately, the car system failed to voice directions or respond to Google Assistant. Also, the Google map screen would always stay in night mode even though it was daytime and the phone map screen was fine. Google maps worked fine on my phone. Of course, it stopped working just after my 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. (Service says entertainment unit only had a 3 year warranty anyway.) I complained every year; sometimes twice a year so there was written documentation of problems from the beginning. Kia Corporate agreed to replace the audio unit as a "goodwill" gesture". So kudos to Kia for doing that. Otherwise, would have cost over $1700 for me to replace it. We'll see next week if this solves the problem.

Don't stop complaining to your service department. At least you have a record of your complaints should the problem become worse than just a constant disconnect like mine.

#47 ·
Kia keeps wired connection in the android auto as its standard in several products, even in EV6. So, you should have your own best method to keep your cable connection as reliable as possible. It sucks but it looks like it is what it is...

I heard some other cars like Mach-E use bluetooth for android auto, but cannot confirm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.