Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Manufacturing tolerances are far tighter and closer these days. So break in is not so important anymore. That is why no one specifies an early first oil change, done on the same schedule as the second oil change. No improvement on leather shoes though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's pretty amazing! Mine is just over a month old now, and I'm averaging right around 50 mpg. Why is it that an improvement would be expected after some more time? Not obvious to me why that would be, but I don't know squat about hybrids (or cars in general for that matter!)...
It is about the gas engine. Brand new engines are tight. As the engine is used it gets broken in like a pair of leather shoes. The friction inside the engine from moving parts goes down so there is less energy loss from feiction.
Very interesting. Mine is also a baby. Got it June 6th, however I have a 110 mile commute so it's already got 7700 miles on it. I've been getting 40 -50 mpg so far (unless my wife drives it like a race car, haha!) Yesterday I drove 65 home with the ACC no and 50-60 when I was not on the highway. I ticked over to 49 when I pulled up into the driveway. This is only using the computer on the car to calculate it, I'll have to download fuelly.... Any ideas on specific things to do to "break in" a newer car?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The manual says the standard boilerplate, vary the engine speed for the first 1,000 miles. I think the only scenario that won't happen is if you take a new car for a 1,000 mile jaunt at a fixed speed on standard cruise control.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
64MPG is really good. My experience would suggest this requires moderate speed (e.g. 55MPH VS 75MPH). How did you achieve this result?
I know I cannot approach that result at 65 mph max driving like a little old lady and with some aero mods on board. Getting about 55 in summer driving which I think is super. Amazingly, he is driving at 75 a good bit. Quite a puzzle. I think he has the regular HEV, not a PHEV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
oh, I am in the DC area, and I the traffic here is a lot slower than other Metropolitan areas. That actually is the main reason for my mileage. It takes me 45 mins to 1 hr -15 mins to drive around 21-22 miles, which is quite slow. I rarely brake on the highways as I am just coasting. Of course, higher temperatures help too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very interesting. Mine is also a baby. Got it June 6th, however I have a 110 mile commute so it's already got 7700 miles on it. I've been getting 40 -50 mpg so far (unless my wife drives it like a race car, haha!) Yesterday I drove 65 home with the ACC no and 50-60 when I was not on the highway. I ticked over to 49 when I pulled up into the driveway. This is only using the computer on the car to calculate it, I'll have to download fuelly.... Any ideas on specific things to do to "break in" a newer car?
Back in the day (70s) you were expected to break in a car for 5000 miles. My Dad was a stickler for this (we also would overhaul engines ourselves and those need breaking in too). The manual on a car would stage a break in period. Somthing like:

First 500 miles warm engine thoroughly before taking off. Do not exceed 45 mph and do not accelerate hard. Do not tow anything.

500 through 5000. Do not exceed 55 mph....you get the picture.

You also needed to change the oil after the first 500 miles. In the 80s/90s it was common that a mineral oil or some other form of 'break in oil' was in the crankcase when it arrived from the factory. You were to change this out for standard oil at 500 miles.

But then engines got better. Frankly nobody breaks in cars anymore but the manual on my last new car said something like 'don't drive it like you stole it during first 500 miles'. Not sure if they still come with 'break in oil'. Read the owner's manual which is available online.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
hey guys, so this is my last post with the experiment I was doing for the last three fillups (comparing displayed vs actual mpgs).

So my last fillup was at 10590 miles and then today I filled up at 11241 miles. I filled up 9.955 gallons, so I drove 651 miles at just over 65 mpg. My displayed mileage this time was 69.8 mpg.

So overall, it looks like the actual is always less by 3-5 mpg. I am satisfied with my high mileage (not a fluke), and will stop recording the fillups now.

Keep pushing for the high mpgs people!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey guys, so this is my last post with the experiment I was doing for the last three fillups (comparing displayed vs actual mpgs).

So my last fillup was at 10590 miles and then today I filled up at 11241 miles. I filled up 9.955 gallons, so I drove 651 miles at just over 65 mpg. My displayed mileage this time was 69.8 mpg.

So overall, it looks like the actual is always less by 3-5 mpg. I am satisfied with my high mileage (not a fluke), and will stop recording the fillups now.

Since the start of June, my calculated mpg per fill-up has been 61.74 -> 60.47 -> 56.27 -> 65.70 -> 57.65. The 65.7 mpg is a personal best, 570 miles driven on 8.68 gallons (the display showed 66.9 mpg). I usually fill up with about 3~4 gallons left. On my latest tank, the display showed 64.2 mpg but actual was 57.65. So my display has been around 1.5~7 mpg optimistic (pretty wide range). MPG will decrease as the cooler weather starts, but I'll still be happy as long as it's over the combined 49mpg EPA estimate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey guys, just wanted to give an update since my last post. My displayed MPG for a tank of gas is now into the 70s. My most recent actually displayed 73.8, and I believe I drove over 700 miles on this tank of gas. My experiment indicated that my actual is around 3-4 mpg less than displayed, so the actual MPG for the last tank could have been 70mpg! I am just so so happy with this car!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts

Why not post at Fuelly so you can spread the information?

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
dinesh75, are you located in the USA or Europe? It would make a serious difference as a European MPG is different than a US one, as the Europe gallon is considerably larger. I just wanted to make sure so that everyone is talking on the same page.

I have on occasion gotten a very good L/100km as I am in Canada but this was on return trips so grade and elevation played a big part in the measure.. I got a not so good economy getting there. I also find that time of day, the state of charge on the battery, engine temp, the last time it was driven also play a big part in the economy. I don't know if it is psychosomatic or not, but it feels like when the fan is running full blast the Niro seems to want to run the engine far more than when the fan is turned off or running on low. I also don't fully get a connection between driving style and economy. My wife drives her Niro like it was a regular gasoline car (70% eco 30% norm) and her fuel economy dial is at 4.6L/100km. I have a more tendency to try and drive the car rather than it drive me, so I try and get the most economy out of the vehicle. I will take not of the battery levels and ease off the accelerator to get it into EV mode, will change acceleration patterns etc.. I have (97% eco 3% norm) and right now I am at 4.0L/100km. Now that does work out to about 10mpg difference between us, but when you consider that my prior fillup in May was at 4.5, it seems like I am just amusing myself when you consider the actual gas savings works out to what?? Maybe $5.50 difference in a fillup for equal distance, or I am getting an extra 120km out of my tank currently. Perhaps that is big if you were doing big distances, but right now I am filling up once a month. so is $70 in a year enough to even get worried about.. it's what a case of beer difference in the year. I am thinking back to my old car and it's fuel efficiency difference to my current Niro is more like $1000 ~ $1300. I worked it out that the difference in fuel over the life expectancy of the car, the savings would end up paying for the NIRO in full.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
oh, I am in the US (Washington DC area), and I would agree it would make a serious difference. All my mileage that's reported is using US gallons, and yes, it's amazing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
completely depends on terrain... I noticed it kicks into EV mode when on FLAT roads and DECLINES (of course)... then it will switch over to the engine when it detects the slightest incline or hill.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts