Kia Niro Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
completely depends on terrain... I noticed it kicks into EV mode when on FLAT roads and DECLINES (of course)... then it will switch over to the engine when it detects the slightest incline or hill.

Not to really nitpick but the terminology is sort of wrong. I would be more accurate to say that the Niro will switch into EV mode more often when on horizontal roads any you are travelling under 60mpg. On a decline, it will go into the regenerative mode to recapture some of the energy. However, on an incline, the Nero can require the additional power from the engine to supplement the electric motor. As this is a hybrid type vehicle it can get power in one of the 4 modes. EV mode that is running purely on battery to drive the Niro using only the electric motor, ICE that used just the internal combustion engine to drive the wheels with any extra power directed to the electric motor in regenerative mode to recharge the battery, hybrid mode that used both the ICE and electric motor to drive the wheels, and regenerative mode that converts the momentum of the car directed to the electric motor in regenerative mode to recharge the battery and slow the car down.

The great fuel efficiency comes from the fact that any extra energy is captured rather than being wasted. So when the ICE is running, it is generally in the most economical rev range with the excess power going to recharge the battery. This is why if you look at the fuel economy bar on the dash as you drive it looks like you are using more energy than needed then decide to turn off the motor altogether. The engine by using a little bit more fuel to rev a bit more can move it into a more optimal zone of efficiency where that extra power can be converted without using up much more fuel, then when coasting that normally requires very little power from the engine can be switched over to the lower power electric motor that is far more efficient.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've just purchased a Niro PHEV and have 458 miles (including 220 on the freeway between 60-70 mph) and computer is showing that I'm averaging 163 mpg. I realize that this is very early in the game and that the computer may be a bit optimistic but I too am being amazed!

Some great mileage reports here. From this forum and others I get the impression that people who drive mainly in the city and are not putting a lot of miles on their car, that they may go for months between fill ups.

That sounds terrific, but makes me wonder if one goes 3 or more months between fill ups is it necessary or useful to put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the tank?

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts
This is a common theme in the Prius Prime forum also. The consensus there is that if you use top tier gas like Shell, BP etc then there is no problem. If you use bargain basement gas there is a potential for an issue. Personally we use top tier gas and haven't had a problem. we have have had our vehicle about 5 months. Personally I don't know the answer. I have stored a tiller with shell gas over winter and had no problems starting it up 6 months later in the late spring.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
That sounds terrific, but makes me wonder if one goes 3 or more months between fill ups is it necessary or useful to put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the tank?
What I have been doing is adding gas after a couple of months, regardless of how low the tank is. That way some fresh fuel is mixed in. But I agree that if you use top tier gas (I use either Shell or Chevron) it shouldn't be an issue. The best I've had on a tank has been 435 MPG, but that had very little driving with the ICE and it was warm enough the engine wasn't needed for heat. We've entered fall now, so I won't see numbers like that until next summer. :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
In the 1970s I have started cars with no problems after 6 months. What does that prove? Nothing. All gas products are better and the cars are almost unimaginably better with fuel delivery systems and sealed tank storage. Potential for a problem? Sure. But in real life I don't think it is something to worry about. More of a problem such as it is for the Prius Prime with port injection than the direct injection on the Niro. Of course, some PHEV owners use so little gas that spending $5 a year on Shell branded gas is a trivial cost if you think it helps.

I buy the cheapest gas I can find, and competition is such that top tier gasoline (often also supplied to non-top tier stations) is just as cheap. So my tank fills are random, and if there is any benefit to be had from top tier, I'm getting it. If you don't shop hard via Gas Buddy, you will end up paying 20 cents more a gallon for Shell. In other countries like the UK, there is a real difference between "grocery store" gas and branded stations and if you have a port injection car, you do better at branded stations.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
my 2019 Touring S with extra 65lbs added via tow hitch and spare tire kit is averaging 52-54 [pump calculation]. vehicle is used for commuting in Washington DC area. just the commute/trip shows [computer] 58/62 MPG and driving around the neighborhood on short trips bring down the overall MPG. few days ago, I did 320 miles from Fairfax to Philly suburbs and averaged 48MPG with mostly 75+-5 mph. I am very happy with past 2000 miles result which is 5-8 mpg more than what I had expected before the purchase. computer is usually 2 miles more optimistic compared to the hand calculation. Plus, its actually fun to drive and was able to lose a tailing gating newer Camry on a long curve was entertaining. Niro does curve nice and flat around exit/entrance ramp and it’s entertaining to push little harder than I used to in my previous RX350. I do try to maintain 38psi on all four and I don't feel any less traction or comfort.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts
It is nice hearing about the excellent mileage people are getting. This Niro vehicle is one of the best kept secrets in automotive vehicles. I don't believe I have ever seen one negative review of this vehicle by the professional reviewers!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've seen plenty of negative reviews - I think I read all of them through 2017 written in several countries - a fair number of video reviews too. Common comments include funky brake feel, slow, noisy, bad handling, lack of AWD. And of course the classic: it is not an SUV as Kia tries to brand it. More positive reviews than negative reviews though.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I've seen plenty of negative reviews - I think I read all of them through 2017 written in several countries - a fair number of video reviews too. Common comments include funky brake feel, slow, noisy, bad handling, lack of AWD. And of course the classic: it is not an SUV as Kia tries to brand it. More positive reviews than negative reviews though.
Perhaps the older ones had an issue, but I think the brake feel is terrific. I can never tell if I'm just in regen or if the mechanical brakes are working. I think it's far better than my son-in-law's Ioniq.

Don't have any handling issues either. Can't argue the lack of AWD though. Have to see how it does this winter, although there's no guarantee we'll see any snow in the Seattle area. Some years yes, others hardly a snowflake.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I didn't say I agreed with the negative reviews, and indeed good feeling brakes versus existing hybrid brake feel (2017) was a positive for most reviewers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Perhaps the older ones had an issue, but I think the brake feel is terrific. I can never tell if I'm just in regen or if the mechanical brakes are working. I think it's far better than my son-in-law's Ioniq.

I agreed with the brakes in Niro. not sure about 16s' with thinner tires but 18inch wheels, it stops on a dime with confidence. matter a fact, KIA's must over size their brakes because I worry more about someone hitting my rear during hard braking situation. also I don't have any issue some noted "sponge" feeling either. sometimes the "jerky" occur when downshift during braking but overall one of the best brakes I have owned/driven and I have driven vehicles with “very” response brakes like newer 911S, S550, M3/4, Miata [NC/ND], and etc. 911S has the best brakes around with brutal stopping force.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Hybrids get bad reviews not for ultimate braking force, but for transition between regen and full mechanical braking. I think it does well for feel, but just average for its class in braking ability. And I think there is actually a dangerous bug in the braking system. Try a panic stop in a safe area. For me, the brakes do not release immediately when the pedal is released.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hybrids get bad reviews not for ultimate braking force, but for transition between regen and full mechanical braking. I think it does well for feel, but just average for its class in braking ability. And I think there is actually a dangerous bug in the braking system. Try a panic stop in a safe area. For me, the brakes do not release immediately when the pedal is released.
I think that's Kia's implementation of Emergnecy Brake Assist. It turns out that many people don't actually keep max pressure on the brake pedal during a panic stop. To compensate many companies added a system that tried to detect a panic stop and maintain max braking effort even if the driver eased up on the pedal. The effect can be disconcerting if you do it deliberately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Not only disconcerting, but dangerous. I thought for sure the car behind was going to hit me after I released the brake due to the delay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to know this in advance. Def could be dangerous in a chain-reaction situation in which I'm trying to balance hard braking to avoid the car in front of me, while not braking so long/so hard such that the car behind me hits me! I remember my first month in my '98 Honda Civic on a off-ramp where the car in front and the one behind me were both locked up and skidding - yikes - but I avoided colliding with either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just got my Niro Premium HEV about 2 months ago in Europe (it should be equivalent to the touring trim in the US I guess).
It's the new model, great car.

Regarding fuel economy, I must say big respect to dinesh75 as his MPG results are astounding.
Great to learn that these figures are US gallons , which is obviously the case for cars sold in the States.
If I switch my display to "mile" (and gallons), it reads MPG as UK gallon.

As far as I've been driving since august I'm averaging 43.5 MPG-US (5.4L/100km) which is ok but could be better.
I have 18" alloys which eats mileage.
I'll try to pump more pressure in them to see if it helps.
I'm also doing short trips too often and highways around here are sometimes 85mph limit or unlimited (i live just near the german border). However I haven't sent the Niro to cope with the Porsche zipping through german highways.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi everyone,

As far as I've been driving since august I'm averaging 43.5 MPG-US (5.4L/100km) which is ok but could be better.
I have 18" alloys which eats mileage.
I'll try to pump more pressure in them to see if it helps.
I'm also doing short trips too often and highways around here are sometimes 85mph limit or unlimited (i live just near the german border). However I haven't sent the Niro to cope with the Porsche zipping through german highways.

it's getting colder so check your PSI. in the US specs, it's 36PSI but I keep it at 38PSI [garaged]and it will start from 37PSI in the morning. short distance requires lean engine operation so fuel consumption will increase. like all hybrid cars, it does it's best in slower rush hour traffic. my overall tank average is 55 when it was hot but it's now down to 54 but will probably go down further once I start using the heater and temperature continues to decline. but single trip computer to work in the morning shows upper 50and lower 60 when I average 20-30 miles per hour for an hour which experiences plenty of EV mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2017 kia niro EX at 30K miles.
I got it used at ~29K miles.

I drive the same way, same route everyday .
15+15 miles morning-evening drive to commute,
highway trip on I-66 north VA.

overall average is ~44MPG shown on computer, incredible if you ask me!
but, trip-A, about 100miles, shows ~23MPG.

how this can be possible?
how reliable is the mpg shown on the computer? lifetime or after refuel?
what you think?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts