Kia Niro Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 2017 kia niro EX at 30K miles.
I got it used at ~29K miles.

I drive the same way, same route everyday .
15+15 miles morning-evening drive to commute,
highway trip on I-66 north VA.

overall average is ~44MPG shown on computer, incredible if you ask me!
but, trip-A, about 100miles, shows ~23MPG.

how this can be possible?
how reliable is the mpg shown on the computer? lifetime or after refuel?
what you think?
Do you idle your car to warm it up? Do you accelerate really fast?

Edit: just thought of another scenario. If you drive really slow in the cold it will use a lot of gas too. When it's cold and I have the heat on (wife in the car) I will drive faster to save gas. Especially when the route is all EV range (I have the PHEV).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you idle your car to warm it up? > No.
Do you accelerate really fast? > sometimes, rarely.

I have Niro 2017 EX EV. (not plug-in)
I donot trust what computer shows.
I just re-fueled to check myself, but there is another problem with the tank volume;
according to Kia it has a 11.9 gallon (45liter) tank, (2017 kia niro EX)

I saw 35 miles left to fill on the screen.
This tells me that I still had ~1 gallon remaining (assuming mpg is at least 35).
then, I filled, but it only got 9.3gal.
so, my calculation shows = 9.3+1=10.3gal.

what is the difference then?
11.9-10.3 = 1.6gal?

do I miss something here?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Range remaining is highly inaccurate. Actual topped off capacity is 12.7 gallons and I've been negative 70 remaining miles (doesn't actually display below zero, but I use one of the trip meters to keep track). If you don't top off, your total range will be closer to displayed range, but there will still be a reserve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a note to advise against driving the Niro above 75 mph if your concern is fuel economy.
I’ve been experiencing french high speed highways and german (parts unlimited speed) at speeds of 80 mph above and the Niro HEV can’t maintain that speed AND keep the battery around half at the same time.
You’re then loosing battery gradually.
Around 1/4 charge left the gearbox will downshift to 5th gear (while still driving at 80 mph on FLAT terrain) to be able to recharge towards half. This phenomenon which can last up to a few miles obviously increases rpm, makes more noise and kills mpg (expect an awful 23 mpg at 80mph in 5th gear...).
There is no solution (force manual to stay in 6th in sport mode is worse in the end as it drains the battery completely and there is no more power left) other than keep speed at 70 mph or below where this downshifting weirdness is very unlikely.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Interesting. But yes, the solution is to drive your economy car as if it was an economy car. Try getting a 2CV up to those speeds! Or, if you must drive at those speeds, use the same drivetrain in the far more aero Hyundai Ioniq.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, the Niro is definitely not tuned to be an autobahn cruiser. The PHEV is similar and there's a pretty steep increase in battery usage at speeds above 60mph. At those speeds the car is quick to engage the ICE on moderate inclines even in EV mode.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
< sarcasm > For some reason, I can't seem to get my Bugatti Veyron to get the same mpg as my Kia Niro when driving around the city. I am not sure what is wrong with it. It can go like stink on the Autobaun but just seems to suck down fuel. WHY??? < end sarcasm >

Sorry for my twisted sense of humour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, so I bought a NIRO EX last year. I was getting good mileage last summer, even without breaking it in, but now, I am getting fantastic mileage!

My commute is around 20 miles each way, so in the morning, I get around 60-65 mpg, and then when I am coming back in the evening, I am getting 80 + mpg. I am just amazed.

Today, I actually got 94.4 mpg for 23 miles! I am just so so pleased with. I have taken a few screenshots,

How are others doing?
i have niro 4 hybrid new on 2018 plate had dealer remove the 18inch alloys and fit 16inch wheels for better mpg and at time lower tax i have had fantastic mpg 70+ best ever was 90 + when i went ti ireland all way from north london so via hollyhead to cavan strugled to put 30 euro in car. on full tank when i left home. car is amasing.
steve r

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even more screenshots. The one in the 60s are from the morning commute, and the rest are the evening commutes.
great car best ive had was 90+ going to ireland full tank when i left strugled to put 30 euro in tank when i arrived
pics are from another trip i done

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dinesh75 is not really getting 90 mpg. He has a plug in hybrid with a larger battery than we do and is mostly using battery power after charging from an outlet. 50 mpg is EPA rating for the hybrid so you are doing fine. If he doesn't plug in, he is actually getting fewer mpg than the regular hybrid.
mines hybrid niro 4 with 16 inch wheels instead of 18 inch better mpg and lower car tax best i had was 90+ on trip to ireland pics are off another recent trip battery goes to full after driving in sport mode on motorway chares battery to full quite quickly
steve r

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
mines hybrid niro 4 with 16 inch wheels instead of 18 inch better mpg and lower car tax best i had was 90+ on trip to ireland pics are off another recent trip battery goes to full after driving in sport mode on motorway chares battery to full quite quickly
steve r
Are those imperial gallons, that's what we had in canada when i was young , an imperial gallon is 1.25 us gallons either way you're blowing my mileage out of the water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
N
Are those imperial gallons, that's what we had in canada when i was young , an imperial gallon is 1.25 us gallons either way you're blowing my mileage out of the water.
No iam in UK 2018 Niro 4 with 16inch alloy wheels instead of 18inch wheel lower co2 only 88
Did you see my pics
Steve r

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Your gallon is larger than the US. Individual short trips showing high mpg are meaningless. Obviously true with a PHEV, but also true with a hybrid. I've had over 80 mpg for a half hour after filling up because my trip started with a high battery (for the hybrid) followed by slow city speeds with a fully warmed up car. Show us what you can do with a full tank! My best full tank result was 62.26 mpg over 784 miles on the tank in early spring. That's 74.77 mpg Imperial. 59 mpg is my usual best in the summertime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
N

No iam in UK 2018 Niro 4 with 16inch alloy wheels instead of 18inch wheel lower co2 only 88
Did you see my pics
Steve r
[/QUO
N

Did you see my pics
Steve r
p
Or car came with 18s we put on 16s ,last summer
N

Did you see my pics
Steve r
We put on 16s this spring, last summer with 18s the readout was always in the 5s litres per 100 k this year it's in the 4s, i find the readout is a little optimistic. Last week we went fishing and never exceeded 85 kph . Our end of trip was 4.3 litres per 100 k , so figuring a little optimism that's around 60 mpg imperial or 48 us. Next thing is add air I'm down to 36 lbs now.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts