Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there's a limit to the size or number of files that the system will recognise with a USB key? I have a 128GB USB key formatted FAT32 with about 10000 songs (65-70GB) on it, and it only seems to be recognising 6500 or so songs. Wondering if this is a size limitation or a number of files limitation. It took me awhile to curate my 130GB collection down to this so I'd rather not have to cut it in half again...

If it's a size limitation I could always just re-encode these files to a lower bit rate or something. If it's a number of files limitation I think I'm hooped and may have to find some other solution like using the aux port.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I could have sworn that your question was covered in the manual on the entertainment system. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me at the moment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Manual says the maximum number of files is 8000 for a single USB. Page USB 3-15 of the Car Multimedia System Manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
following up to see if anyone has an answer... the same thing has happened to me.
It's the number of files. It gets real finicky when there's a lot of files, and it's inconsistent. I just changed the music up a little bit on it, and it went from recognizing around 6500ish files to around 3500. I have to go in for service soon so maybe I'll ask the dealer if there's some kind of firmware update to fix this limitation. Considering a $35 Raspberry Pi has no issues like this I don't see why a car would.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Neo's answer above is correct. The problem is the max # of folders & files stored on the key.

Max folders = 2000
Max files = 8000
Max directory layers = 20
Max length of folder/file name = 255Bytes

Note there are other factors as well, such as the characters used in your folders/files. Read page 3-15 of the multimedia system manual for the full list of technical specs required for your USB mp3 device.

Solution:

Buy 32GB keys and split up your collection. Even a 64GB will max out on mp3 files before it is filled. You might have to edit some file/folder names and/or the file structure (especially possible if you downloaded a lot of your mp3s but never changed the filenames).

Stupid? Yes. But hey, we all bought it...

Also note that afaik, all car stereos have a limit on the # of files on a USB device, although in my van the Kenwood recognizes MUCH larger devices & # of files than on the Kia's.

(All info from Car Multimedia System User's Manual, page 3-15)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts