Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How do you feel about the rather large blind spot in the back? That tiny window serves no purpose and there is a huge pillar in the way looking back plus the headrests are in the way even when all the way down. I will be using the BSM system a lot more.

I also noticed that the front seat headrests do not lock down when in the lowest position and seem rather tall. They can slide up (wonder if they are made that way on purpose). I noticed in the crash test that it rode up rather high...what's the point of that if you come back after going forward and the headrest is now too high and your head doesn't find it?

I forgot to ask if the dark gray is a pure gray meaning that if in other kinds of light do you notice it turns another color or it is pretty much that color no matter what kind of light it's in?
I lowered the middle head rest in the back seat and I am seeing fine. The touring has the parking sensors and they help. The rear traffic alert has worked well like 3 times.

I also noticed the front headrest doesn't lock down. I have it in the lowest position but haven't had issues with it except when I move up accidentally. I did not like that the headrest doesn't tilt forwards or backwards. The headrest is pretty comfortable.

In different light it still looks dark grey just a slightly different hue. Here's a pic in the sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking nice in gray...will be hard to decide. That is weird about the headrest not locking. It must be intentional; I don't see that though on new cars I've test drove recently. I too wished it tilted backward. It's not the worst. Some were the deal killer for me in deciding on purchase (seems Toyota known for this). Since I'm not tall, it does sit up high behind my head which I don't care for but would adjust to I hope.

I have started paying attention to back windows on small SUVs, etc. and have noticed a trend of smaller windows in the back. Same for height of door panel (can't rest arm on it now).

Will be interesting to see more reviews as this starts to take off.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One great solution to taking care of certain blindspots is the ability to buy those small blindspot mirror that stick on the to top outermost part of your side mirror. Even since having a truck with tow mirrors and experiencing it on that end, i've been doing it to any vehicle I have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an Acura RSX and I'm also considering the Ioniq so the visibility out of the Niro that I sat in at the dealer was excellent! Visibility out the back, especially is one of the Niro's strongpoints vs what I have and what I'm considering. I love the hatchback form factor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are there any video reviews of the safety features in the tech package? I saw a video of a dude driving while having the Eyesight monitoring system on in a Subaru. I'm impressed! (Less so with the look of the impreza hatch.) In the video, he demonstrated how the smart cruise control works, how the lane keep asst. works, etc. I'd love to see a similar video exploring the Niro's (or any Kia's...I'm sure they're similar) version of the same tech.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe Kia's Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) is not available in the US. The EU Niro has it (among other Kia's). The US is stuck with Lane Departure Warning System.

I'm not sure what the hold-up is with Kia. Subaru has it as a package option. Honda CR-V it's standard on all but the lowest model. The Prius it's standard across the board.

Maybe we'll get it in 2018?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are there any video reviews of the safety features in the tech package? I saw a video of a dude driving while having the Eyesight monitoring system on in a Subaru. I'm impressed! (Less so with the look of the impreza hatch.) In the video, he demonstrated how the smart cruise control works, how the lane keep asst. works, etc. I'd love to see a similar video exploring the Niro's (or any Kia's...I'm sure they're similar) version of the same tech.

Thanks!
There's the recent NCAP crash test video that shows those systems working starting at about min 2:30. Otherwise, Kia and Hyundai have been loath to produce white-paper type videos to support these hybrids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually prefer not having the lane keep assist...the warning is enough for me. Having the car move the steering wheel for me would be a little unnerving! I love the blind spot warning and the parking sensors too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I actually prefer not having the lane keep assist...the warning is enough for me. Having the car move the steering wheel for me would be a little unnerving! I love the blind spot warning and the parking sensors too.
There are a lot of times when the lane departure warning goes off and I'm not leaving a lane. Or I'm going around a car making a left turn. Sometimes there is construction forcing you over a line. The last thing I want is my car to try and force me back into a lane I'm not supposed to be in.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you are leaving a lane to any degree, the law and common sense requires the use of signals. That disables the lane keep assist or warnings. Active driver steering should easily override an assist system, I cannot imagine that it would do otherwise or the manufacturer will be liable for any ensuing damage. Picking up my car tomorrow so I'll learn first hand.

Technically, passing a car on the shoulder is illegal. For the most part, this is not enforced, but if there is an accident, you will be automatically liable. Again, the car is not going to force you to go straight. I have to imagine the auto braking won't let you plow into a car making a left turn anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There are a lot of times when the lane departure warning goes off and I'm not leaving a lane. Or I'm going around a car making a left turn. Sometimes there is construction forcing you over a line. The last thing I want is my car to try and force me back into a lane I'm not supposed to be in.
If you are leaving a lane to any degree, the law and common sense requires the use of signals. That disables the lane keep assist or warnings. Active driver steering should easily override an assist system, I cannot imagine that it would do otherwise or the manufacturer will be liable for any ensuing damage. Picking up my car tomorrow so I'll learn first hand.

Technically, passing a car on the shoulder is illegal. For the most part, this is not enforced, but if there is an accident, you will be automatically liable. Again, the car is not going to force you to go straight. I have to imagine the auto braking won't let you plow into a car making a left turn anyway.
I test drove a Prius with the Lane Keep Assist. It was very easy to push through it. It's a gentle nudge, something akin to a strong wind or a small pothole. If you're not paying attention it will do it's job, but if you want to keep turning you would easily push through it. I could imagine someone finding that annoying, but not dangerous. Many many models out there have this feature and I've yet to hear of a raft of accidents due to it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I just picked up my Niro and was very disappointed that the LKAS did not work. But I've only driven after dark and while raining (good lane lines though). Certainly not the best case conditions, but still disappointing. I set it to "active". It would be nice if it would work in less than ideal circumstances. I'm not planning on limiting my driving to sunny dry days. Possibly something else is wrong that can be fixed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just picked up my Niro and was very disappointed that the LKAS did not work. But I've only driven after dark and while raining (good lane lines though). Certainly not the best case conditions, but still disappointing. I set it to "active". It would be nice if it would work in less than ideal circumstances. I'm not planning on limiting my driving to sunny dry days. Possibly something else is wrong that can be fixed.
It also only works over 40 MPH (see manual). Were you going slower on side streets?

FYI, there's a screen on the dash that you can use to see if it has detected the lane markings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had a 2018 touring for 3 wks, 2 fill-ups now and I like lane keep. haven't noticed if it stops working in rain. 34 mpg average in this cold

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Well, I finally had time to do some reading in the manual. I thought when I set the LKAS to active, it was like, active. Nope, you also have to press a button bottom left of the steering wheel to activate it initially (active is just a mode). Got to use it over 10 miles tonight in the dark. Worked on a four lane (including a curve) and a two lane road. A bit intermittent, and I need to figure out how to turn up the warning volume to a volume I can hear.

I can certainly see how LKAS could avoid an accident (might also assist in one if I cannot hear the disable warning), and also make a cross country trip less tiring. Not exactly Tesla autopilot, but I paid a lot less for it - I think it is a $5,000 option on the Model 3. I'd bet it is standard (and better) on most cars in 5 years.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts