Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a bazooka sub sitting around from my Scion days. Well today I insit in my Niro, many will say the bazooka don't hit low or hard, and I would agree, but what an improvement it made to the stick Kia stereo. And it was so easy to install.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A Scion subwoofer was a perfect fit in the Niro? Maybe that means other sound parts from the car would fit as well.
Which Scion model was it from?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bazooka sub was marketed and sold for the Scion xB model, but it's a pretty generic unit. I used this unit in my Scion and both my Prius C and standard Prius. But any bazooka sub tube should work, the Scion was a 100watt unit with a 8" speaker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am very interested in this. I just got my EX a week ago and the stock sound system leaves a great deal to be desired-- super overcooked in the midrange and high frequencies and the low-mids and bass are basically absent. Have adjusted my tone controls to compensate as best I can but it is still subpar. The Niro replaces my 2010 Volvo XC60, which had premium sound, and boy do I miss that. I'm an audiophile and home-recording musician, so I have an abnormally high interest in good sound.

How did the installation work on the Bazooka sub? Where did you locate it within the cabin? Did you have to pull dashboard or carpeting for wiring etc? I'm not particularly handy when it comes to DIY stuff like this so I'd be fine with getting the whole system replaced by a pro car audio outfit. Any advice very welcome.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Audiophile in a car? Recipe for disappointment. Headphones are an audiophiles best friend, perhaps a sound cancelling Bose is best in a car despite lack of ultimate reproduction. May not be legal in all states to wear headphones though. In the 1970's (or was it the 1980's?), I was pulled over in California and told I wasn't allowed to use my Walkman.

I was once a midfi-phile. Had an awesome bi-amped Janzen electrostat/dual standard woofer speakers and even worked in a midfi audio shop. I miss the system, but not enough to do it again. OK now with ripped music on my iPhone and only listen to music through stock earbuds or my stock car audio. Would like a pair of good headphones at home again - home isn't really suitable for a good speaker system.

I agree that the stock Niro system isn't that great, however it was a good step above my last car (in part because the Niro was much more quiet than my 17 year old previous car). I will say that the Sirius free trial that came with my car is unlistenable. I draw the line there for sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but I am not expecting audiophile quality in a car, I totally understand that's not feasible. I merely meant to describe my more exacting needs/desires for sound in the car. Definitely not wearing headphones, that's just not safe IMO. And I have the opposite experience, my former ride had a really good sound system, so the contrast is pretty stark here.

On the Sirius, are you saying that the signal quality from the sat radio is inferior to that from, say, an mp3 player? I do have an iBasso high-def music player that I have also used plugged in to the aux jack (Niro won't recognize its Android-based OS, not surprisingly), but I've had the car for only a week (five days of which I was away on travel) so I have not done a direct comparison yet.

Looks like my only option is to replace the speakers and add a sub, so time to get busy exploring that. I have not shopped for aftermarket car audio in over thirty years though, so I would love some suggestions and recommendations for options. I know there will be a price point of diminishing returns, above which it will make no sense to spend owing to the limitations of sound quality produced by the head unit. Any input on what that might be? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Sirius has a low bit rate, so no, not as good as a regular bit rate MP3.

I don't know much about current OEM head units. If there is a line out, your problem is solved. Otherwise, you could be limited to just speaker replacement. Or, you could simply keep one speaker wired to your head unit for navigation, and put an amp and speakers in for music, bypassing the head unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No line out in the factory head unit. I put the bazooka sub in the passenger rear, used the two hold towns and it faces rear as bazooka recommend.

Yes I had to take part if the dash apart to install. Google it, it's pretty easy, I tucked the wires under the door sill. I would say it took about 1.5 hrs.

As for sound imo it's a major improvement, with the stock eq I could pull a lot of the kids and even the lows out as the sub put a nice little thump in the car, it seemed to clean up the overall sound.

I had this sub left over from my Scion. So it was a no brainier to use it. I'm sure there are better self powered subs today for not much money

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the additional info hackenfort! One follow up question, when you say "in the passenger rear", does that mean it is under the seats (either under the front or rear seat), or is it on the floor where someone's feet would have to go if riding in back? I definitely don't want to consume floor space for passengers. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry should have more clear. It's in the hatch area on the passenger side. I used the two factory tie down points to secure it. It can be in plugged and removed in a few seconds this way, and doesn't take up much room at all

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got it, thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Link to jaxterra's full post with more photos:
https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/...lighting/7453-adding-subwoofer.html#post64435

Thanks for posting. That's a lot of sub for 100 sq/ft of total interior space! What amp did you use?

I own a PHEV and am trying to make sense of some of the photos to see what is applicable to my vehicle. Having not pulled anything up back there yet, I don't recognize where some of those photos are taken from.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The additional PHEV battery takes up the spare wheel well found in the hybrid. Thats where those stereo components were pictured installed. You won't be able to duplicate his pictures in your model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jaxterra,

I guess you have the Harmon Kardon system.
I have the EX without touring so I don't think I have a subwoofer from the factory and I assume the wiring is not there.

Since there are no low level outputs I am at a loss for how to connect a subwoofer. I have a powered amp and a 12" hsu research subwoofer that I could make a box for. I guess I need to look into some way to tap into the speaker wires with filters for low base frequencies.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If I didn't have the sub in back I would most likely pull the front passenger door panel off its usually fairly simple like a screw at the armrest and one at the door pull behind covers then it'll pop off. Then I'd look at the color wires that are going into the door speaker, pull the passenger kick panel off and look for those wires and tap into them.

I say passenger side because the drivers side has tons of wires behind the kick panel. I added remote start and its many wires there.

If you get the Lc2i convertor it turns any signals into low frequencies and also it has a remote turn on feature that turns your amp on and off which is nice. I've had several of these and they work great.

Kia could run the wires to the back for the sub on all models and just leave it hanging put I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@hackenfort, where did you decide to tap into for the audio signal to the subwoofer amp? Did you use a line out converter or the hi level of the Bazooka amp? Did you need a remote wire and if so where did you tap that? I'm getting ready to do my own install. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts