Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just wanted to report this issue and see if anyone else came across this (I haven't seen any posts about it).

I have a 2019 Niro Touring with ~6k miles on it.

One issue is that when it's cold out, at or below freezing (I live in midwest) sometimes the usb port used for android auto/apple carplay doesn't work. I've tested this with multiple cables, ones that came with the phone and others. It seems like after a full drive cycle then it may work later in the cold day.

A new and very interesting issue that happened yesterday was this: after taking a short trip to the store, coming back out, I tried to open the trunk using the button. The lights blinked but the trunk didn't unlock. Then I tried to unlock using the fob and only the front door unlocked! I tried unlocking the rest of the doors using both fob and driver's side unlock button, but only the driver's side worked... Also, locking didn't work either, it was very weird. Everything else worked in the car, so I was able to take it home, but was worried it would not be able to lock later... To my surprise after it sat for a while, when I tried to lock and unlock everything it worked fine.

I also tried 12v battery reset while this issue was working with no change.

Intermittent electrical gremlins will probably present a challenge for the dealership to diagnose. Anyone experienced the issues I have with the Niro? I would hope this defect would be covered under the cars basic warranty.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The rear hatch will not open with the remote button.

It only opens by manually pressing the button in the handle of the hatch from outside only.

Every car I have owned since 1979 had a hatch or trunk open button on the remote or inside the vehicle.. not the Kia...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
42 Posts
Pressing unlock on the FOB once only unlock front doors. You have to press unlock twice on the FOB to unlock all doors.
Same for the driver side button.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear hatch will not open with the remote button.

It only opens by manually pressing the button in the handle of the hatch from outside only.

Every car I have owned since 1979 had a hatch or trunk open button on the remote or inside the vehicle.. not the Kia...
Correct, but it did not disengage the lock to let me pull open the trunk as I normally would. Both button on trunk and remote button would not allow me to pull open the trunk.

Pressing unlock on the FOB once only unlock front doors. You have to press unlock twice on the FOB to unlock all doors.
Same for the driver side button.
Yes, but the fob nor button on handle nor interior button would allow locking and it did not do the beep or chime to let me know that a door was open at the time too. I also set the one button press unlock for the button on the handle and I think it does the same for the remote only when it's set.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I also tried 12v battery reset while this issue was working with no change.
That cannot change anything. Only works when 12 volt power is off. Reset is the wrong word completely. It only closes a 12 volt relay when dropping voltage opens the relay to protect the charge.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That cannot change anything. Only works when 12 volt power is off. Reset is the wrong word completely. It only closes a 12 volt relay when dropping voltage opens the relay to protect the charge.
Perhaps I should've tried to do the high voltage disconnect procedure then given that the 12v battery lies with the high voltage battery and see if anything changes ?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Generally the first thing a dealer will do to fix such gremlins is to disconnect the 12 volt system. This is effectively a control/alt/delete for the car to reboot the onboard computers. This works much of the time. You can do this at home too. Left rear passenger seat wall panel just snaps out and there is a 12 volt disconnect there. Ioniq picture attached (Niro panel looks a bit different)
Ionic 12V battery service (dragged).jpg
Ionic 12V battery service (dragged).jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts