Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I plugged in this 300-watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter ( https://amzn.to/3itlGBI) into one of my 12V outlet below the radio/AC controls (2019 LX w/ Advanced Tech). The inverter would not turn on (even though I know it works because I tested it with my other car's 12V outlet).

Anyone know why this inverter is not working with my Niro? Can anyone recommend a 300+ watt inverter that they know works with the Niro?

Thanks, wjspm

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Did you test that outlet with another device? What do you plan to plug into the inverter?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Was the car ON and Ready when you plugged it in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yticolv, both 12V outlets work with cigarette adapters that charge my phones via USB. I had planned to power my MacBook Air w/ the inverter. FINiro, yes, the car was ON and Ready. This particular inverter runs its fans constantly when on , and it did not turn on even when I'm driving down the highway.

Anyone else use an inverter with success with their front 12V outlets?

Thanks, wjspm

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You have a much better option for charging your Air than an inverter. That is very inefficient method, using an up inverter to 110V AC and then your home charger (which is down inverter) back down to 17V DC or so. Double the work, and more than double the waste heat versus using a simple DC/DC converter. This is the one I bought with an attached USB C cord for my 12" MacBook and I assume there are similar ones for USB A if you have an older Air. Just a simple uncorded converter in your 12V port would be fine too, you just have to carry a USB cord. Way less mess in your car. It charges my laptop just as fast as my home AC charger. I just leave it in the center storage so it is ready for a trip. Minuscule amount of room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yticolev. I ended purchasing a USB-C charger similar to yours.

BTW, I want to use an inverter for other purposes as well, for car-camping purposes. Connect a kettle to heat up water, an efficient fridge, etc. I think the inverter I just got blew my Niro's 12V outlet fuses. I'm still interested in finding an inverter that will work, to use w/ appliances that need more wattage.

Eventually I want to set up a solar-charging system for my Niro, similar to what lots of Prius-dwellers do. I'd like to add an extra battery to store the charge.

wjspm

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
The problem is that the two ports on the front of the car may be 12v but don't have a very high amp ratings. You are trying to pull more power through the port than it was designed for. You really needed to buy the higher model car that comes with an inverter built into the car as it has the wiring and capacity to handle the loads. Even then I have read that the inverter isn't the bigest.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm not sure but I believe I read awhile ago that the limit for the 12v. outlet is 150 watts but I read it along time ago and it might have been on priuschat.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Back when they were used for cigarette lighters, they usually had a 15 or 20 amp fuse. Of course, 20 amps at 12 volts DC or only 240 watts. And that's what it's fused at, real world loads are supposed to be no more than 80% of the fuse. There's no way you could use a kettle or a fridge, unless it's so low powered it can't really do anything anyway. If you want to run that level of power, you need a dedicated inverter wired directly to the 12V supply and fused appropriately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the info, I'm learning a lot! Sounds like I'll have to go another route for my power needs.

One more question: The manual shows a 40A fuse for power outlet 1, and 20A fuses for outlets 2 and 3. I am only familiar with the two "cigar" power outlets, which I assume are outlets 2 and 3.. What/where is this 3rd "power outlet 1" (maybe my '19 LX Adv Pkg doesn't have this outlet)?

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
I've never paid attention to where they are. I have one inside the center armrest, I think. Now I can't remember if it's a 12v outlet or just a USB port. If it's a 12v, I have a USB adapter plugged into it.

I'm shocked and impressed if there's a 40 amp fuse on one of the outlets. That's 480 watts, which is reaching the level that can run some higher powered items. If you keep the level at 80%, that's 384 watts, so use that for your planning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts