Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a new 2020 Niro EV. So far I'm enjoying the car but I have a major issue with the Infotainment system. It does not recognize my iPod Classic 6th Gen. According to this all I have to do is plug it in and it will be recognized. I have tried more than 1 cable. Including the Sync cable I use to connect and sync with my PC. The iPod works great in my wife's car and my old 2013 Elantra. I would like to get this resolved before the free SiriusXM expires. Is this an oversight in this new system? Is there a software update that is required on the car to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Older iPods are a problem with most newer cars. I know that my '18 Outback would not support the older players, and I believe even my '14 VW had a cutoff with the older players. No, there's no software update to make them work. All the cars have focused on supporting iPhones, Android phones and USB drives. The iPod is simply being ignored. Here's what's listed in your owners manual:

iPod iPod nano 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G, 7G
iPod touch 1G (except for iOS 1.1), 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G
iPod classic 5G (iPod with video),
6G (iPod classic),
6.5G (iPod classic)
iPad iPad/ iPad mini Unable to charge, not certified, operation not guaranteed
iPhone 3G (not certified, operation not guaranteed), 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6+, 6S, 6S+, SE, 7, 7+

Now it does list the classic 6G, if that means the same. With Apple I can never be sure how they name things. I know the EV has different USB ports than my PHEV. Are you certain you're connected to the correct port? On my car, only one of the ports works for CarPlay, and I would expect the same with connecting the iPod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atc98092, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I too would assume the 6G is the 6th Gen 120Gig and the 6.5 would be the 160Gig model. From what you list, it should work. I went out to the car again with my Sync cable and plugged it into the exact same USB port I use to connect my iPhone when I want to run the Apple CarPlay. I also tried the other USB right beside it. That one looks like it's nothing more that a charging port. I also tried the USB port in the centre armrest. No luck with any of them. When I plug it in and go to the "Media" screen, I only see the following options:

Bluetooth Audio, USB Music, Sounds of Nature, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

That list you mention, is it for the 2020 EV or the 2019? I know the Infotainment system was changed in 2020. Or maybe it was just the screen and still has the same software.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If all else fails, you still have the miniplug analog input. Not optimal as now it is going through two amplification stages (both iPod and car volume switches will work), but this is not going to be audiophile quality no matter what. Just about as convenient as you shouldn't need to plug into USB to charge very often.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant, but in my 18 LX Hybrid there was a setting to connect Apple/Android. I had to "disable" Android Auto to use UVO.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I looked into those Manuals ( Car Multimedia System User's Manual ) and spotted where it mentions iPod Mode. So in theory it should work. Funny though, in the actual book that comes with my car ( Car Infotainment System Quick Reference Guide ) there is no section for iPod Mode.

My iPod is on that latest Firmware ( 2.0.1 ). My cable is the Original Apple cable. Though I've used others in cars for years. I ordered a new one on Amazon that is "Apple Certified" just in case. The battery is at 100% charge on the iPod. I've tried both connecting before starting the car and after the car has been started. Nothing shows on the iPod screen to indicate it's connected to a Kia. I tried using a TaoTronics Bluetooth devise. It sends the signal from the headphone jack. So no actual control with menu access. Control still rests on the device. I assume I am looking in the correct place in the Infotainment system. I go to Media and look at the available devices. As mentioned above I don't see iPod Mode. I'm at a loss.

If I knew it was just that my device has been 'grandfathered' and the new iPod Touch 7th Gen would work fine in iPod mode, then I'd be willing to explore that option. But to spend $370 CAD + tax and still be stuck concerns me. I like the menu that is available for my iPhone when using the Apple CarPlay and assumed the iPod would function in much the same way.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Well, you could also just put your music on a USB stick for a lot less money. I've not tried that, so I don't know overall how well the user interface works. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Well, you could also just put your music on a USB stick for a lot less money. I've not tried that, so I don't know overall how well the user interface works. Just a thought.
By all accounts, it sucks. There are a number of discussions on the Ioniq forum by mostly European owners who like USB sticks and apparently the infotainment software uses an unusual file reading implementation and you have to change how your files nest to make it work something close to acceptable. Searching for songs also works poorly.

I wonder how the infotainment system interfaces with iPods that are compatible? Can you browse playlists and songs on the big screen and press start and stop? Or just use the iPod manually only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think a problem we're having here might be the different models. After investigation, the initial link I posted above is for the ( DE HEV ). So that's not a good reference. The other link mentioned above with the Manuals is for the US model. Here in Canada I believe we different models. I have the 2020 SX Touring model. There is also the base model EX available. From the brochure is says I have the "Harman Kardon® premium audio system10" which is not the same Infotainment system as the base model EX. And probably not the same as the US models or even those in Europe. So we'd need someone who is familiar with this HK system to say where I need to look or if it's even doable.

I have no intention of using a simple USB device. From what I read the system might not read the volume of music I have. And I'd most likely have to convert the files. At a minimum, I'd like to be able to have my iPod function like in my previous car. Full access to the library with the ability to select Artist or Albums from the screen. I don't need to see the picture of the Album cover that I see when using it in my Wife's car. Although I do see that when connecting my iPhone with Apple Carplay.

I have opened a ticket with KIA itself since they are probably the only ones that can say for certain what is what. Thanks for the help. If anyone knows for certain how to resolve this, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't think Harman Kardon (or any name brand audio system supplier) has any pertinence here. The infotainment system will be the same. And that is what is interpreting the USB input, not any HK specific amps. equalizers, or speakers downstream. Whatever your manual says will apply to all trims of the car for iPod compatibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally heard back from Kia on this

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Kia Canada Customer Experience. The vehicle is not equipped with an Ipod mode it’s either Apple Carplay or Bluetooth for your device ( if is able to connect to Bluetooth).

Respectfully,

Not what I was hoping to hear, but at least it puts this to rest.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
I would not have expected that to be different between US and Canadian models. Sometimes these companies make no sense at all with their multitude of offerings.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I know my 2018 Niro has full support for an old iPod. I have used it with my old ipod touch (second gen) and currently use my ipod nano 7th gen. I do have an ipod Clasic 4th and 5th generation but haven't found where I have one of the old apple connector cable is.

Just and idea. You are in Canada. You do know that Apple had a 30 day no question return policy. I don't know where you live, but if you purchase an ipod from Apple and it doesn't work, you do know you can send it right back to Apple and get a full refund.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts