Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
639 Posts
I believe the traction battery requires initial heating during cold weather, until the pack is generating enough of its own internal heat to remain in the comfort zone. But I believe the battery heater is completely separate from the HVAC heat pump. Kia lists them both as two separate components of the cold weather package, so that implies separate systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cooling for pets in the car

I'm still waiting for my Niro Touring so I'm not sure about this but from reading you can turn on climate control remotely with the app. So if you go shopping or whatever, lock the car, get out the phone and turn on cooling.
This works with my Leaf.
As you noted, you cannot turn on the AC and leave the car in the Leaf and it sounds like its the same in the Niro

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Since you can leave the AC running in the Niro HEV and PHEV, I don't see why you can't do this in the EV. I don't know about doing this from the app, but it can certainly be done manually.

·
Super Moderator
639 Posts
Two things about remote HVAC control. First, it runs for a limited time. 10 minutes I believe. But the annoying part is that the four way flashers are on the entire time the HVAC is engaged. It really calls attention to the car.

For these two reasons, I'd recommend not leaving a pet in the car unattended.

·
Super Moderator
639 Posts
Then leave the car on with AC running and lock car with the physical key if you need to leave a pet in the car.
And then you have someone come along to "save" the pet and breaks a window. While our dog (RIP) enjoyed going for a drive, I never took him anywhere I would be out of the car for more than a minute or two.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No pet, but I've seen a lot of pets in cars in shopping center parking lots. Never seen a broken window. The comments on how to do it are for those who want the option. You can safely ignore pet owners who do, I do.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts