Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to get my '19 Bolt bought back, and have been considering putting the money towards a '20 EX Premium Niro. With the motor issues people have been talking about, is it crazy to still be considering this purchase?
I don't necessarily mind the idea that we may end up needing to get the motor replaced or bought back at some point in the next two years, as long as we most likely won't get lit on fire.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
170 Posts
I am not aware of many motor issues. I do not regret purchasing my 2020 HEV and don't anticipate any major issues.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
Since you are coming from a Bolt, which version of Niro are you considering? HEV, PHEV, or EV? My PHEV is just over 2 years old and 20,000 miles, and it's been flawless. All I've done is the two scheduled oil changes.

If you're looking for another EV, The Niro is a fine choice. I would trade mine for the EV in a heartbeat if it only had dual zone HVAC. Since your Bolt doesn't have that, it might not be a factor for you. But if can hold off your purchase for another 6 months or so, both Hyundai and Kia have their new dedicated EV platform models coming out. And both of those have a lot of features going for them. But since those are coming, you can probably get a screaming deal on a Niro right now, too. Although seeing you are not in the US, that availability might differ for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With gas prices set to keep going higher, a hybrid of any kind won’t get any cheaper to buy than what they are right now.

My 2018 HEV Niro now has 64k miles on it and besides getting the catalytic converter replaced under warranty due to a check engine light(which seems to be a very rare problem), I’ve had no other problems. I have no clue as to any “motor problems” that you have eluded to.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
188 Posts
About to get my '19 Bolt bought back, and have been considering putting the money towards a '20 EX Premium Niro. With the motor issues people have been talking about, is it crazy to still be considering this purchase?
I don't necessarily mind the idea that we may end up needing to get the motor replaced or bought back at some point in the next two years, as long as we most likely won't get lit on fire.
I have never heard of anyone having motor issues in their Niros especially mines. I have already put in nearly 30k with no problems. I have only done oil changes and changed cabin/air filters.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
There's also at least two members here with well over 150,000 miles on a Niro HEV. There's no motor issue happening that we are aware of.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2017 regular hybrid, Touring. Because I am approaching the point of keep and maintain or trade and get new, I've been looking at my options. I'm keeping. I love my car! It's really well-equipped, and I honestly can't find another car in the same price range of what I paid that has all the same bells and whistles. I have not had any issues at all with the motor. ::knock-on-wood-and-impeach-Murphy::

·
Registered
82 Posts
Today I changed my Niro HEV 2017 (with 110.000 km, I bought it with 95.000 km) into a Niro HEV 2020 with 24.000 km ...
I think, if it goes good or not depends also on the quality of the dealer and his service.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think you are referring to 2012-15 2.0 [certain ones] and 2.4. Niro has 1.6 and rock solid which is same base engine as son's 2012 Veloster that accumulated about 140k before he traded in for a new Seltos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 2017 ex, we love it, no problems at all in almost 4 years we have had it, only changed the oil, and rotated the tires once, getting between 50 and 54 mpgs , how can anyone complain?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV and am very happy with it, though I should add that it has less than 7000 miles on it. I'm not aware of any motor issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not heard of any motor issues. I have a 2019 Niro EX hybrid with less than 20,000 miles and the only work done on the car oil changes and a flat repair. I must say though that with my usage (3 miles at a time), I wished that I had bought the PHEV.My gas mileage suffers a bit because it barely gets out of ICE mode for some of those 3 miles. But I still average 53.1 mpg over the last 12 months. I keep stats on the Fuelly app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2019 PHEV. Perfect service history. Just an oil change so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts