Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I couldn't find the info I need in the owner's manual. Is it okay to just partially charge the battery if you just need to run a short errand, or is it best to only charge when you can fully charge?

Also, is it safe to charge when it's raining?

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's ok to charge up if going on a longer trip, but it's better to fully charge after a series of shorter trips.

I charge every day outside in my work lot, rain or shine. The plug is grounded.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Mine is always plugged in and charged to 100% every time. There's no setting to limit the SoC in the car, and Level 2 charging doesn't allow for the car to communicate that information to the EVSE, so there's no automated way to limit the level.

With a BEV it's best for long term health to limit at 80% the majority of the time. But PHEVs and BEVs have different sorts of draw and charge levels, so limiting the level isn't as critical with a PHEV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I just need to run a short errand with a round trip of say 10 miles, just charging to say 60% isn't going to impact battery life or health in any way? I can see where I might want to do this from time to time, but if it somehow reduces battery capacity or longevity I won't do it.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
No, in fact partial charging is better for lithium batteries. Ideally you want to keep the battery's state of charge between 20 and 80%. In the HEV, the tight programming keeps it between 40 and 60% 90% of the time. In a PHEV, or BEV, getting that last 10% charge not only takes a long time, uses relatively more energy than other percentage segments, but is also the most damaging to the battery. On many BEVs, charging over 80 or 90% requires an "Are you sure?" step. Ideally, you should only charge to 100% on days where you need the full range for the day's driving.

Mind you, there is a built in (hidden) buffer in the PHEV (and BEV) so truly charging to 100% doesn't actually happen, but the rationale still applies. Bottom line, don't worry about partial charging.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, in fact partial charging is better for lithium batteries. Ideally you want to keep the battery's state of charge between 20 and 80%. In the HEV, the tight programming keeps it between 40 and 60% 90% of the time. In a PHEV, or BEV, getting that last 10% charge not only takes a long time, uses relatively more energy than other percentage segments, but is also the most damaging to the battery. On many BEVs, charging over 80 or 90% requires an "Are you sure?" step. Ideally, you should only charge to 100% on days where you need the full range for the day's driving.

Mind you, there is a built in (hidden) buffer in the PHEV (and BEV) so truly charging to 100% doesn't actually happen, but the rationale still applies. Bottom line, don't worry about partial charging.
Thanks - very helpful info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts