Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to car shop, and a Niro is high on my list. From everything I've read, it sounds great and I'd love to have one!

For you owners, is there anything about it you don't care for or would change? Everyone always is quick to list the things that they love, but I'm not looking for people to bash on it either.

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I like ours - just over 5500 miles. It's an EX. Post gas fill ups on Fuelly (something over 51 MPG average so far).

You can see some of the problems that people are having on this Forum.

I think at times I notice this stuttering - misfiring - surging - what ever to call it or whatever it is (misfiring, shifting of the dual clutch, what???).

I have not considered my extreme at this point, but some have had serious issue. I notice it more today when I left home to go to the gym (doing around 40MPH and felt it more than ever had before). Then not noticeable after that. Beats me???

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like ours - just over 5500 miles. It's an EX. Post gas fill ups on Fuelly (something over 51 MPG average so far).

You can see some of the problems that people are having on this Forum.

I think at times I notice this stuttering - misfiring - surging - what ever to call it or whatever it is (misfiring, shifting of the dual clutch, what???).

I have not considered my extreme at this point, but some have had serious issue. I notice it more today when I left home to go to the gym (doing around 40MPH and felt it more than ever had before). Then not noticeable after that. Beats me???
Does it also occur if you are in sport mode?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had my Touring w/tech package for a month and a half and just past 3,000 miles today. The only thing I dislike about it is that I'm putting too many miles on it! But unfortunately, I had a 75 mile round trip commute to work every day and lots of my son's soccer games on weekends. I went from a 2012 Optima EX to this and I don't regret my decision at all. I've been averaging 46-47 MPG per tank, about 20 MPG more than my Optima.

The biggest annoyance are the lane departure and parking assist warning sounds. The lane departure can be turned off, but I haven't figured out if I can turn the parking assist off. It beeps like crazy if I get close to the car in front of me or the car behind me pulls up too close in traffic.

I would recommend this car to anyone. You sit up just high enough vs. sedan and you don't step up into it like many SUV's. Love the white pearl that I chose except it shows all the dead bugs on the front bumper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does it also occur if you are in sport mode?
Never use Sport Mode, seems plenty adequate power wise in normal mode. I might when going down a steep hill if could get it into a lower gear for brakeing, but not sure it would not shift up cause Sport Mode is also AUTO or Manual +/- Shifting).

Watched it again yesterday (July1) when on the same route and felt it I think in the same area of the road (would be the same time in to the trip, slight up hill, running about 40 or so MPH - EV Light was off, so Gas Engine was running). It is noticeable but not extreme.

I noticed it other times also - think it was even on a slight downhill slope. Might have been EV Mode then (not sure).

My first thoughts were it is when Gas Engine is running (maybe a misfire like the one the guy that had it so bad that he got a new car and some other benefits from KIA when they could not fix his car).

Anyway, there is something about these cars that is not 100%. KIA apparently standing behind the product.

That Said, I still like mine and it (whatever to cal it) is not severe, but you notice it (Maybe getting worse). I mis-quoted miles on car (it is around 5200 not over 5500).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Copied this last post on estewartDC3 's topic (guy that got the new car). Post is My NIRO is a Lemon (or something like that).

Hi, all,
Original poster here. We decided to replace our lemon (Niro LX) with an exact replica and today, we finally took ownership! Kia was great throughout the process. They threw in four years of the service plan and a free spare tire kit and a few other favors (dealer installed the cross rails for us for free).

Looking forward to finally enjoying the car that we first bought in March! Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Never use Sport Mode, seems plenty adequate power wise in normal mode. I might when going down a steep hill if could get it into a lower gear for brakeing, but not sure it would not shift up cause Sport Mode is also AUTO or Manual +/- Shifting).

Watched it again yesterday (July1) when on the same route and felt it I think in the same area of the road (would be the same time in to the trip, slight up hill, running about 40 or so MPH - EV Light was off, so Gas Engine was running). It is noticeable but not extreme.

I noticed it other times also - think it was even on a slight downhill slope. Might have been EV Mode then (not sure).

My first thoughts were it is when Gas Engine is running (maybe a misfire like the one the guy that had it so bad that he got a new car and some other benefits from KIA when they could not fix his car).

Anyway, there is something about these cars that is not 100%. KIA apparently standing behind the product.

That Said, I still like mine and it (whatever to cal it) is not severe, but you notice it (Maybe getting worse). I mis-quoted miles on car (it is around 5200 not over 5500).
Just for [troubleshooting] analysis, and as the "stutter" happens at the same place, could you please have it in low just to see if the stuttering still occurs? If it does, IMHO, it pretty much says it's a computer/software problem & not an ICE issue. If it still stutters then it could be an ICE sproblem. OR, most likely, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, do not get the tech package. Lane departure is more annoying than helpful. If it was active like Toyota then absolutely yes, but as it is, no.

I would have an auto dimmed rear view mirror.

I use sport mode when getting on the Freeway. I drive very economically, 55+mpg, 5000 miles on the clock. When I plop it over to sport mode it instantly just goes. I do not change my foot pedal and it simply goes.

I am not convinced that in sport mode it's 100% manual gear control. I have up shifted before while going 35ish because of engine buzz and it shifted once and not another time. But, it has always downshifted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That jerk it does is annoying. If I could I'd get the touring with tech w/o the sunroof or the 18 inch rims. I got the touring because it's the only one with front parking sensors which I wanted.

I've had my Touring w/tech package for a month and a half and just past 3,000 miles today. The only thing I dislike about it is that I'm putting too many miles on it! But unfortunately, I had a 75 mile round trip commute to work every day and lots of my son's soccer games on weekends. I went from a 2012 Optima EX to this and I don't regret my decision at all. I've been averaging 46-47 MPG per tank, about 20 MPG more than my Optima.

The biggest annoyance are the lane departure and parking assist warning sounds. The lane departure can be turned off, but I haven't figured out if I can turn the parking assist off. It beeps like crazy if I get close to the car in front of me or the car behind me pulls up too close in traffic.

I would recommend this car to anyone. You sit up just high enough vs. sedan and you don't step up into it like many SUV's. Love the white pearl that I chose except it shows all the dead bugs on the front bumper.
Parking assist turns off with the button next to the shifter.

Yes, do not get the tech package. Lane departure is more annoying than helpful. If it was active like Toyota then absolutely yes, but as it is, no.
I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights, smart cruise control, and forward collision warning. The plug in will have better front lights.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights said:
I got the Adv.Tech package in the LX mostly for the AEB. I figure if it helps you avoid or lessen an accident once it's worth it's weight in gold. The FCW is good also. Smart cruise is OK, the HID lights I didn't get with the LX Tech package, and didn't want. Too expensive to replace and more fragile, not solid-state and the improvement in light not worth it, IMO. Halogens or LED are plenty bright. The HID's I've seen on other cars driving toward me are often really annoying.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got the Adv.Tech package in the LX mostly for the AEB. I figure if it helps you avoid or lessen an accident once it's worth it's weight in gold. The FCW is good also. Smart cruise is OK, the HID lights I didn't get with the LX Tech package, and didn't want. Too expensive to replace and more fragile, not solid-state and the improvement in light not worth it, IMO. Halogens or LED are plenty bright. The HID's I've seen on other cars driving toward me are often really annoying.
The HID's might be annoying when coming towards you, but when you are in that vehicle, they are spectacular. That was my biggest surprise when driving my Niro home from the dealer. The regular HID lights are amazing. Best headlights I've ever had. I had to make sure I didn't have my brights on. They are well worth and will come in handy during the winter when I will drive a lot more at night.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That jerk it does is annoying. If I could I'd get the touring with tech w/o the sunroof or the 18 inch rims. I got the touring because it's the only one with front parking sensors which I wanted.

Parking assist turns off with the button next to the shifter.

I disagree the tech package is worth it for the HID lights, smart cruise control, and forward collision warning. The plug in will have better front lights.
Where, specifically, did you get the info regarding the plugin?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Where, specifically, did you get the info regarding the plugin?
Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid Heading to US Later this Year » AutoGuide.com News

if you see the front lights you can tell they are different than the current HID. I also have a suspicion the 2018 model might have rear heated seats and lane keep assist vs lane departure warning because the Korean model has these things slated for 2018 and I believe the UK already has lane keep assist.

In case you are unfamiliar, lane departure warning beeps when you get out of your lane, which surprisingly has been useful occasionally; lane keep assist will beep and also move the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, to get you back into the lane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you see the front lights you can tell they are different than the current HID. I also have a suspicion the 2018 model might have rear heated seats and lane keep assist vs lane departure warning because the Korean model has these things slated for 2018 and I believe the UK already has lane keep assist.

In case you are unfamiliar, lane departure warning beeps when you get out of your lane, which surprisingly has been useful occasionally; lane keep assist will beep and also move the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, to get you back into the lane.
I have a UK Niro First Edition (equivalent roughly to the US Touring version I think) and it already has heated rear seats as well as a 3 stage Lane Keep Assist.

Stage 1: Lane Departure Warning
Stage 2: Standard Lane Keep Assist (will steer slightly to bounce you back into lane if you stray out)
Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds.

·
Registered
450 Posts
QUOTE Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds. QUOTE

That must be what a friend has on his HONDA -- I think he did not know it had it, but discovered it does. He said he had the warning to "Make a Steering Input" one time.

Some folks do think Lane Departure 'beeps' are a nuisance, I can ignore the nuisance thinking it might keep me alert and from drifting off the road, etc. I wish it had it below 40MPH.

I have an EX --- I wish it had continuous front collision avoidance and not just when on cruise control.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE Stage 3: Active Lane Keep Assist (will almost continuously steer for you to keep you centred in lane and will work handsfree on the freeway for around 15 seconds before warning you to put your hands back on the wheel) - works like the 2007 Lexus LS460 although that only worked handsfree for 6 seconds. QUOTE

That must be what a friend has on his HONDA -- I think he did not know it had it, but discovered it does. He said he had the warning to "Make a Steering Input" one time.

Some folks do think Lane Departure 'beeps' are a nuisance, I can ignore the nuisance thinking it might keep me alert and from drifting off the road, etc. I wish it had it below 40MPH.

I have an EX --- I wish it had continuous front collision avoidance and not just when on cruise control.
You're saying your lane departure doesn't work below 40 MPH? Mine sure does on all the local roads around my house.

And what do you mean by continuous front collision avoidance only on cruise control? My car beeps when cars slow in front of me and I never use the cruise control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few things:

1. When slowing nearly to a stop, the car will switch from engine to electric (EV icon on the dash display will light), and it will jump, jerk, or lurch forward a bit. It's a bit disconcerting and annoying.
2. The lack of a Homelink integrated garage door opener. Considering all the other technology in the car, this omission is just cheap.
3. The lack of an auto-dimming rear-view mirror. And again, considering all the other technology in the car, this omission is just cheap.
4. Hydraulic auto-opening/closing rear door hatch.
5. AWD
6. I have a black interior, but I really liked the blue stitching and blue trim used on the grey interior. I would have loved all that blue on the black interior.

Otherwise, It's great for the price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just something aesthetic, but I think the car would look much better lower, more like a hatchback instead of being a crossover. The ride height is comfortable but from having a Suburban and also low profile sports cars, it just feels like it would be more naturally lower when I'm driving it or taking it through a turn.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts