Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, the link leads to a picture with a component called '3. PTC Heater '.
I have not opened the heater unit casing, so I am not sure it is there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I thought we were talking about self-regulating heaters with positive temperature coefficient (PTC) resistors.
Something like this:
https://www.borgwarner.com/news-media/press-releases/2017/09/21/borgwarner-s-cabin-heater-extends-driving-range-for-new-ev

KIA has it on other cars, in the same location as shown in the Niro service manual:
Kia Forte: PTC Heater Description - Heater - Heating,Ventilation, Air Conditioning - Kia Forte TD 2014-2018 Service Manual
If the Niro has the same 12V unit as other models it would explain why it lacks power.

The Kia Niro service manual seems very consistent. Besides the previous picture we do have two relays for the 'ptc heater' in the Niro:
Kia Niro : Relay Box (Engine Compartment) Components and components location : Fuses And Relays

·
Registered
14 Posts
There has been some discussion about the internet connectivity with an iPhone but i just learned that Apple Car Play connection does not mean that the car is automatically connected to the internet :confused:

I understand that you might want to limit data usage due to roaming fees but if you have enabled music streaming there is not much sense in restricting traffic data updates.
I did expect the cable connection to be automatic since I have always given the car permission to connect via the phone. I did also learn that the stationary speed cameras are updated with the traffic data; without a connection the cameras will disappear from the map after a while. Other navigation systems usually update POIs in a different way, you might end up with obsolete data but it will not disappear.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Well, I thought we were talking about self-regulating heaters with positive temperature coefficient (PTC) resistors.
You were discussing them. I was being skeptical. While that is interesting, I'm still skeptical. I did find a picture of the PTC heater in the manual here: Kia Niro : Heater Unit Components and components location : Heater

I couldn't find a wiring diagram that might settle this issue, but like you, I cannot tell that there is any effect one might expect from a resistance heater. The heat does come on faster than other cars due to heat recovery from the exhaust system, but it takes over a mile before it is noticeable. That doesn't sound like a resistance heater working properly. I'm wondering if the relay is for water coming from the exhaust system recovery to open when temperature reaches some threshold. That picture linked above looks like it could be a small radiator rather than a resistance heater.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that the documentation is not very clear on this. To be honest, I'm not so sure either :)

At least Cee'd and Niro use the same heater (part number # 97192G2000 ), a search for 'kia PTC Heater 97192G2000' show both Niro and other models with the same part.
I would then assume that it is a 12V unit and thus not very powerful. It's a cheap standard unit that helps a bit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just something aesthetic, but I think the car would look much better lower, more like a hatchback instead of being a crossover. The ride height is comfortable but from having a Suburban and also low profile sports cars, it just feels like it would be more naturally lower when I'm driving it or taking it through a turn.
If it were lower ( like the ioniq ) I would not have purchased the niro.

Why don't you buy the ioniq?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm quite happy with most of the technology available in the Niro Touring with the Tech Option Added. Having said that, I would gladly exchange the sunroof for a full Power Passenger Seat with Lumbar adjustment. a Home Link system which could be programmed to open the garage door, and a Power Liftgate with some kind of sensing device for hands free operation. On the flip side, I love the cooled seat option which I consider a must for a leather interior. Heated seats for the rear passengers are also a nice considerate touch. It's more efficient to heat hands and torsos directly than trying to heat the cabin air and thus warm the body indirectly.

My biggest complaint in the Niro is the Red backlighting for the switch gear. This appears to be across the board in Kia's, VW's, and most Mazdas. The human eye can simply not focus on red when fully dilated at night and scientific studies back this up. Has to do with the Rods in the Eye and probably gets even worse as we age. Red is towards one end of the colour spectrum whilst Green is right in the middle. Remember the days when virtually ALL cars had green instrument lighting? And for good reason. Now everybody wants to be different and Red is thought to be "Sporty". Well the Niro ain't no Sports Car! I prefer Hyundai's Blue backlighting to Kia's use of Red but would appreciate tried and true Green even more. One would think that in this day and age of Red, Blue, and Green LED's, ala modern flat panel LED TV's, someone would offer a totally consumer customizable dash to suit anyone's personal colour preference. I once had an aftermarket device which offered this capability and allowed me to match the car's dash lighting perfectly. If the aftermarket can do it, why not the OEM's.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Lights can be replaced with any color you want. Or variable color. It is your car, customize it how you like! Aftermarket as you say. Isn't a dedicated garage remote on the passenger shade simple and easy enough to use? That's what I do. Big button, easy to hit (very old opener).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Isn't a dedicated garage remote on the passenger shade simple and easy enough to use? That's what I do. Big button, easy to hit (very old opener).
That's what I have right now on my Niro as well. It works fine but just doesn't look as tidy as the Home Link Buttons on my other vehicle.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wish there was an option to disable the automatic door locking. There is an option to disable automatic unlocking, but that's only half a solution. In general, the number of expected duty cycles before failure on electric door locks is somewhat limited and I'd rather not be replacing all of mine sometime shortly after the warranty runs out. I don't feel a need to have my doors locked automatically when I'm driving and I could prolong the life of the electric door locks if they didn't lock automatically every time I start off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Haha, no kidding, if anything I want my Niro to be an inch or two higher. In fact I've been looking into suspension lift options.
If it were lower ( like the ioniq ) I would not have purchased the niro.

Why don't you buy the ioniq?
Something I'd change if I could, would be to make the lane keep assist a little more aggressive. My friend has a Nissan leaf, and he almost doesn't need to touch the steering wheel at all on the freeway. But my niro tends to wait until I'm almost or completely outside my lane before it reacts, and sometimes doesn't pull the car back into the lane all the way, letting the car keep drifting outside the lane further. Not that I want to rely on LKA or anything, but it would be nice if it was aggressive enough that it actually kept me from hitting a car next to me.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
In general, the number of expected duty cycles before failure on electric door locks is somewhat limited and I'd rather not be replacing all of mine sometime shortly after the warranty runs out.

I would love to know where you get that data from that the electric door locking mechanism is prone to wear out and fail? Is this something that is just a Kia related problem or are you basing it on an industry-wide problem? I ask as I have had many cars that have had zero issue with the locking mechanism. it is the same piece of equipment that is in the remote door lock/unlock, and had zero failure. My wife's 12-year-old Kia Sportage the electric door locks worded perfectly even when we sold it to the junk yard for scrap value. Now the keyfob remotes were a different issue and they died about the 9-year mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like Kia to remove snowflake icon and the sound that warns me it is 39 degrees F or below outside. I am well aware it is cold outside and there may be slippery conditions. On that note, I would like Kia to make an OEM remote starter available for the 2018 Platinum Graphite Touring model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, I love my Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium. And I would strongly encourage anyone who does a lot of short trip driving to consider the PHEV, since after the $4500 tax credit it costs the same as the hybrid.

But, there are a few niggles. I wish it had noise reduction glass in the drivers door. The PHEV is so quiet on electric below 50 mph that cars passing in the opposite direction are annoying. I second the motion on a passenger seat with the same features as the driver seat. And the adjustable steering wheel to telescope a couple of inches more.

I wish the real time MPG gauge had finer graduations than 5 mpg. I wish the PHEV had a sunroof. I wish the PHEV EX Premium had the self leveling LED headlights- I'm not getting flashed by oncoming drivers, but I know I'm dazzling them when I'm going over a crest. And I wish the automatic cruise control had stop and go capability.

But as you can see, these are pretty minor. Sure, I'd like to have them, but this is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned an Audi, BMW, Mazda, Porsche and Saab.

·
Registered
30 Posts
anything about it you don't care for or would change?

I'm starting to car shop, and a Niro is high on my list. From everything I've read, it sounds great and I'd love to have one!

For you owners, is there anything about it you don't care for or would change? Everyone always is quick to list the things that they love, but I'm not looking for people to bash on it either.

Thanks in advance! :D
Great vehicle and no troubles over 9000 miles.
If I have to change one thing it will be the foot operated parking brake and replace it with hand operated, it will be significantly easier to use in an emergency when the brakes fail (believe me it does happen).
Other minor things to consider:
Front door storage bins could be little bit larger to fit a shopping bag or a booklet, map etc.
Do not like the red lights on the dashboard, in my mind the red is associated with warning that something is not right.
The back-up lights are too weak for the camera used. It can be improved by installing LED bulbs ( approximately US $ 10)
The fuel gauge is strange: the higher it climbs the less fuel you have in the tank.
To this day I was not able to figure out how to let the ambient air in; without opening the windows, or running the heater/AC.
It will be nice to have a dedicated attachment place for the tire jack. The jack sits inside the spare tire and may become heavy projectile in the case of an accident.
I prefer the 16 inch tires = better mileage, smoother ride and the option to use snow cables/chains. With 18 inch wheels you get better cornering, but if I wanted that Honda Civic R will be my choice for about the same price.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would love to know where you get that data from that the electric door locking mechanism is prone to wear out and fail?

Sorry- I don't have any scholarly data on this, just anecdotal experience, and no experience to indicate that Kia in particular has a problem with this. For example, the (less than 1 year old) car I rented a few months ago while traveling would not lock the tailgate hatch. My 2008 Honda CRV has had multiple campaigns and recalls for the door lock actuators and my dealer recently replaced the actuator on the driver's door. If you google for something like "door lock actuator recall", you'll find lots of hits on lots of car brands, including at least one discussion on kia-forums.com about 2016 Sorentos with an actuator problem.

But even if the Niro has the most durable door lock actuator ever made, it should still be the owner's choice about whether the doors lock automatically or not. And it's the kind of thing that Kia should be able to provide to existing owners with a simple software update.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tech package is awesome...(network admin here). It's well worth it especially for the front sensors. The car sits up high and you can't get a feel how close you are to a curb. I can see some people will probably be damaging their front bumpers due to this issue. The sunroof is awesome on the fall days and the premium leather package is great. My wife has a Mercedes GLC and she thinks all the upgrades are either better or comparable to hers.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts