Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For once, it is far colder in January by quite a margin out in Victoria/Vancouver than it is here in Southern Ontario. This has me wondering:

- Will all the SW tip of BC owners now have to use the extreme weather classification for doing oil and other maintenance to their Niro? The KIA thought was that it doesn't get as cold for as long in this region so they get to use the normal maintenance schedule. But as it's been very cold with lots of snow and ice, that would bring it inline with the weather in and around the golden horseshoe region of southern Ontario, does that now make them egual?

- Will the number of people posting here to the Forum about terrible fuel consumption / gas mileage shoot up as suddenly they will need to have the heat turned on, and even their plug in hybrids will have the ICE running full time to combat the low temperature that the rest of us in the rest of the north are now use to.

I guess in equal question. For the owners if there are any in the Prairie provinces. Are you experiencing mayor techical dificalties with your temperatures and running your Niro? I saw on the news that you're getting sub -40 temperatures out there. At that, do cars like the Niro even work well? Do plugin cars have additional issues that warmer area owners would not even think of. I would be very interested in hearing how it is working out in these what essentialy is full arctic cold.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is there something mentioned about esteem cold? As far as I know temp. doesn't have anything to do with the maint. intervals. At least I can't recall reading anything about that?

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my manual on Page 8-25. the section of Maintenance Under Severe Usage Conditions the chart calls for point:

D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather

I did call Kia and really couldn't get a very clear answer from them as to where then in Canada does it not fall under the Severe Usage clause. I was told that since Vancouver and Victora don't get much cold weather, snow & ice they don't use salt on the roads. I begged to differ but they said the amount is so low compaired to Ontario. Then in response to my comments said that yes, Toronto and the golden horseshoe might not get as much, but they are in such short distance to the rest of the areas around that that do get significantly more snow and ice that drivers could be exposed to that.

I am wondering as now the coastal BC had had such cold and snowfall to actually exceed by quite a large margin what has fallen here in the GTA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts