Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparing to raise my Niro onto 4 jack stands to rotate the tires, I'm unsure about a rear jacking point. I plan to use the rear weld points to raise each side enough to get the stands into position at the front welds, so I need a rear lifting position to get the stands in place at the rear welds.
Has anyone done this? I think I could use the lower control arms where they link to the body. See the right arrow in the attached picture. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
In preparing to raise my Niro onto 4 jack stands to rotate the tires, I'm unsure about a rear jacking point. I plan to use the rear weld points to raise each side enough to get the stands into position at the front welds, so I need a rear lifting position to get the stands in place at the rear welds.
Has anyone done this? I think I could use the lower control arms where they link to the body. See the right arrow in the attached picture. Thoughts?
I was surprised that the manual didn't specify the jack points until I remembered that the car doesn't come with a jack. However, Google knows everything:

Kia Niro : General information : Lift And Support Points

The part about adding weight to the rear if you remove the fuel tank or other heavy items from the car to prevent it from tipping forward on the hoist is interesting. I wonder what the weight distribution of the car is, I suspect it's seriously nose heavy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was surprised that the manual didn't specify the jack points until I remembered that the car doesn't come with a jack. However, Google knows everything:

Kia Niro : General information : Lift And Support Points

The part about adding weight to the rear if you remove the fuel tank or other heavy items from the car to prevent it from tipping forward on the hoist is interesting. I wonder what the weight distribution of the car is, I suspect it's seriously nose heavy.
Most of these critters run about 60/40, within a couple of digits one way or the other. I went fishing and found nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know where the jack points are, but that's where I need to get my jack stands. So where is it safe to lift so that I can get my stands in place?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know where the jack points are, but that's where I need to get my jack stands. So where is it safe to lift so that I can get my stands in place?
Ah, gotcha. I think you'd be better off jacking on the factory lift points and putting the stands at the outboard location in your picture. The inboard mount point might work, but it looks a bit thin and is pretty far towards the centerline of the car. It might not be stable there.

I've tried putting jack stands on the pinch welds and I've never been happy with them that way. I always try to put the stands at rigid frame points or under the suspension.

Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I was wondering about being so close to the center of the car. I think I'll try your suggestion. And such a low point for the jack stand will require less jacking height, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For other cars I purposely try to jack right in the center as there is always a good point there. I do one end at a time. Starting at the rear, your front wheels on the ground keep the car from tipping. But then get the stands under the outbound spots ASAP.

Then reverse to the front. The rear stands provide the balance for the center jacking in front.

Disclaimer. I haven't tried this with the NIRO yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gjlost - Then get under your Niro and have a look! The central exhaust run makes it impossible to lift from the center, I think. Let me know how you'd approach this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Based on superb handling in snow, whatever the weight distribution might be, it sure is the least tail happy car I've ever owned.
Tires make the car. What kind of tires are you running?

My Soul has notches along the sub frame which according to the owner's manual are the proper jacking points.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On this pic: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?media/31373/full&lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1482977994, you can see the front undercarriage of a Niro. There is no central front point to lift. The best would be near where the torch is pointing there is a black rectangular part sticking out, you can also see one on the other wheel. Those you can use as lift points.

The rear underbody is here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?media/31374/full&lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1482977994. You would normally use the center of the shaft between the two wheels, because it's the only flat sturdy part. But the exhaust runs there, so you can't. And I don't see anywhere else that is flat. So you can't (or shouldn't).

Edit: By the way these are from the 2017 Niro car who did the Guinness World Record...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
As far as I know, the exact same tires come with every Niro in North America, differing only in size. Do you not own one? The only tires I've ever seen mentioned here as coming with the car (OEM installed) are Michelin Energy Savers A/S.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As far as I know, the exact same tires come with every Niro in North America, differing only in size. Do you not own one? The only tires I've ever seen mentioned here as coming with the car (OEM installed) are Michelin Energy Savers A/S.
OK, thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

No, I don't own one. I am a Soul Man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed the oil today. What a mess. There is about 1/4 inch clearance between my oil drain pan and the undercarriage shield. It was all I could do to get my fat fingertips on the drain plug to twirl it out when the drain pan was in place. The filter? forget about it. Had to move the pan, oil spilling all over our beautiful pavement driveway.

Is there no place forward of the front axle that I could lift just a little bit? I don't need tires off the ground, just maybe 3" clearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts