Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I changed the oil today. What a mess. There is about 1/4 inch clearance between my oil drain pan and the undercarriage shield. It was all I could do to get my fat fingertips on the drain plug to twirl it out when the drain pan was in place. The filter? forget about it. Had to move the pan, oil spilling all over our beautiful pavement driveway.

Is there no place forward of the front axle that I could lift just a little bit? I don't need tires off the ground, just maybe 3" clearance.
On most modern cars the forward jack points are on the pinch welds just aft of the front tires. If you have a floor jack a piece of 2x4 with a slot cut in the middle to fit over the flange works great (across the grain, otherwise it will just split). Or a hockey puck with a slot if you happen to be a flappy headed Canadian. >:)

For the truly lazy, you can buy jack pads from Amazon or other online retailer. :D

I had the same problem with the filter on my first oil change. Evidently the robots at Kia are set to "Conan" when it comes to installing the oil filters. Like you I had to remove the whole belly pan which was annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On most modern cars the forward jack points are on the pinch welds just aft of the front tires. If you have a floor jack a piece of 2x4 with a slot cut in the middle to fit over the flange works great (across the grain, otherwise it will just split). Or a hockey puck with a slot if you happen to be a flappy headed Canadian. >:)

For the truly lazy, you can buy jack pads from Amazon or other online retailer. :D

I had the same problem with the filter on my first oil change. Evidently the robots at Kia are set to "Conan" when it comes to installing the oil filters. Like you I had to remove the whole belly pan which was annoying.
Thanks, murph! Although I wonder if raising one side at that point slows the flow of oil out of the drain hole.

We got our Niro to replace a 2002 Toyota Sienna. While there are great advantages to the Niro, the Sienna was the pinnacle of ease for oil changes. A horizontally-mounted filter that flowed down between vertical fins on the crankcase, which directed the leaking oil to a convenient point under which you could put the pan. And a jacking point on the front of the vehicle, so the oil pan would tilt back toward the drain hole. Of course, the mpg was half that of the Niro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The location I have circled in the pic should be a fine location to jack the front a few inches. That bracket is the front suspension cradle. It is bolted to the frame in several locations and the control arms attach to it.

If you can find a flat enough spot on the bracket to fit your jack and very near its center, it should work. Keep the rear wheels down, blocked, and parking brake applied. And I never trust my jack if I'm under the car- place some jack stands under there just in case.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts