Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
30 miles was pretty consistent for me, even with HVAC on. I think my best was about 35 miles, again with the A/C on. A PHEV is a great combination for someone that has a use case that doesn't work for an EV.

Reactions: kia_niro_bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sort of mileage did you get in hybrid mode on the highway (not considering EV range)? And at what speed?
When I noticed my engine go on, I was not technically on highway. was about 8 miles or so from my charging destination (near home). Was roughly driving 45 - 55 mph and flowing with traffic, but had several traffic signals I needed to stop at.
I was not using A/C and was not driving with windows open. Technically the MPG on picture I posted, includes a 3/4 mile on electric after charging. Anyone want to figure that out, have at it...(not sure how accurate the MPG is on NIRO PHEV yet since I've only had it for 1,300 miles.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have the 2019 PHEV Niro and just finished an 800 mile trip! Obviously, mileage depends on speed and conditions. We averaged 43-44 mpg averaging near 80 mph. When we got into the 60-65 mph driving, it was up near 48 mpg, but there were some stop lights involved too

What sort of mileage did you get in hybrid mode on the highway (not considering EV range)? And at what speed?

·
Registered
Considering 2023 Niro PHEV
15 Posts
Man, those mileages beat even EPA numbers. Crazy that you can go that fast with the extra weight if the battery and still beat EPA numbers even after taking out battery range!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Man, those mileages beat even EPA numbers. Crazy that you can go that fast with the extra weight if the battery and still beat EPA numbers even after taking out battery range!
Even when running in HEV mode, on a long trip it is still slightly charging the battery, and recovery on downhills etc, will usually yield enough power it will kick into EV mode for portions on it's own.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is that not how HEV mode works in general for vehicles?
I was under the impression that the plain hybrid versions use the battery to assist the gas engine during normal driving, and sometimes solely move the vehicle while at low speeds. with the PHEV, it can turn the gas engine completely off and 100% drive the vehicle at highway speeds. It will do this even in HEV mode if it has enough charge to do so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took road trip in city driving on Wednesday and go4 24 Miles with 35% battery left before re-charging.

That was with 3 guys in car and full size tire in cargo area with A/C on (one guy was complaining of heat, and had jacket on)... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was under the impression that the plain hybrid versions use the battery to assist the gas engine during normal driving, and sometimes solely move the vehicle while at low speeds. with the PHEV, it can turn the gas engine completely off and 100% drive the vehicle at highway speeds. It will do this even in HEV mode if it has enough charge to do so.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe HEV-only cars typically do spurts of EV-only when they can. The difference is that PHEV electric motors are typically larger in addition to their larger traction battery, so they can both go much longer in EV-only mode, and go much faster in EV-only mode.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe HEV-only cars typically do spurts of EV-only when they can. The difference is that PHEV electric motors are typically larger in addition to their larger traction battery, so they can both go much longer in EV-only mode, and go much faster in EV-only mode.
The HEV only has a bit over 1 kWh of battery, and it also has a lower HP electric motor compared to the PHEV. I can keep my son-in-law's Ioniq HEV (identical powertrain to the Niro) in EV mode on the freeway when there's a slight downhill slope, but in general the engine will fire pretty quickly after pulling away from a stop sign in a residential area (so not accelerating hard). The only place I've been able to drive it solely with EV is in a flat parking lot that I'm not going much more than 5 MPH.

The PHEV has almost 9 kWh in the battery (and getting more for 2023), and a little more powerful EV motor (it also is getting larger for '23), so it's capable of pure EV mode up to freeway speeds without an issue. You just have to keep the throttle foot light on the pedal, as there's a limit you pass that will still kick the ICE on if you press too hard. And on steep hills it can be next to impossible to not use the engine. With the improvements in the upcoming '23 PHEV, I might switch back from pure EV to a PHEV. Have to see what they're like in person. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The HEV only has a bit over 1 kWh of battery, and it also has a lower HP electric motor compared to the PHEV. I can keep my son-in-law's Ioniq HEV (identical powertrain to the Niro) in EV mode on the freeway when there's a slight downhill slope, but in general the engine will fire pretty quickly after pulling away from a stop sign in a residential area (so not accelerating hard). The only place I've been able to drive it solely with EV is in a flat parking lot that I'm not going much more than 5 MPH.

The PHEV has almost 9 kWh in the battery (and getting more for 2023), and a little more powerful EV motor (it also is getting larger for '23), so it's capable of pure EV mode up to freeway speeds without an issue. You just have to keep the throttle foot light on the pedal, as there's a limit you pass that will still kick the ICE on if you press too hard. And on steep hills it can be next to impossible to not use the engine. With the improvements in the upcoming '23 PHEV, I might switch back from pure EV to a PHEV. Have to see what they're like in person. :)
Those improvements in the 2023 are what I'm banking on. But I also live in the Midwest so I might be last in line to get one. The only things I'm disappointed about are the lack of 360-degree camera and blind spot camera. Potential lack of autodimming Homelink mirror also worries me.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
Those improvements in the 2023 are what I'm banking on. But I also live in the Midwest so I might be last in line to get one. The only things I'm disappointed about are the lack of 360-degree camera and blind spot camera. Potential lack of autodimming Homelink mirror also worries me.
It's supposed to have an electric heater as well, so no need for the ICE to warm the cabin. I didn't have Homelink in my PHEV, and I don't have it in my Bolt now (but it did auto-dim in both). Yes, I'd prefer to have it. But I'm not overly concerned that I can't get it on these cars. I have gotten spoiled with the 360 camera in my Bolt, so perhaps Kia will have that as well. They haven't published a complete feature list yet. Hopefully they are getting close to their North America release. Probably be close to year end before any are actually available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's supposed to have an electric heater as well, so no need for the ICE to warm the cabin. I didn't have Homelink in my PHEV, and I don't have it in my Bolt now (but it did auto-dim in both). Yes, I'd prefer to have it. But I'm not overly concerned that I can't get it on these cars. I have gotten spoiled with the 360 camera in my Bolt, so perhaps Kia will have that as well. They haven't published a complete feature list yet. Hopefully they are getting close to their North America release. Probably be close to year end before any are actually available.
I appreciate your optimism. The reviews from Korea indicate I'd have to move up to the Sportage to get the 360 camera and blind spot camera...which would be OK if mileage at interstate speeds weren't comparatively garbage.

But, this is all off-topic. I'd love for more data on mileage as it comes, @kia_niro_bob, as it helps me refine my cost-of-ownership numbers comparing which vehicle to buy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My previous car was a 2010 Prius... there was a stretch I could go about 2 plus miles if I drove under 35 miles... took some carful managing since was not completely flat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts