Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
30 miles was pretty consistent for me, even with HVAC on. I think my best was about 35 miles, again with the A/C on. A PHEV is a great combination for someone that has a use case that doesn't work for an EV.

Reactions: kia_niro_bob

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe HEV-only cars typically do spurts of EV-only when they can. The difference is that PHEV electric motors are typically larger in addition to their larger traction battery, so they can both go much longer in EV-only mode, and go much faster in EV-only mode.
The HEV only has a bit over 1 kWh of battery, and it also has a lower HP electric motor compared to the PHEV. I can keep my son-in-law's Ioniq HEV (identical powertrain to the Niro) in EV mode on the freeway when there's a slight downhill slope, but in general the engine will fire pretty quickly after pulling away from a stop sign in a residential area (so not accelerating hard). The only place I've been able to drive it solely with EV is in a flat parking lot that I'm not going much more than 5 MPH.

The PHEV has almost 9 kWh in the battery (and getting more for 2023), and a little more powerful EV motor (it also is getting larger for '23), so it's capable of pure EV mode up to freeway speeds without an issue. You just have to keep the throttle foot light on the pedal, as there's a limit you pass that will still kick the ICE on if you press too hard. And on steep hills it can be next to impossible to not use the engine. With the improvements in the upcoming '23 PHEV, I might switch back from pure EV to a PHEV. Have to see what they're like in person. :)

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
Those improvements in the 2023 are what I'm banking on. But I also live in the Midwest so I might be last in line to get one. The only things I'm disappointed about are the lack of 360-degree camera and blind spot camera. Potential lack of autodimming Homelink mirror also worries me.
It's supposed to have an electric heater as well, so no need for the ICE to warm the cabin. I didn't have Homelink in my PHEV, and I don't have it in my Bolt now (but it did auto-dim in both). Yes, I'd prefer to have it. But I'm not overly concerned that I can't get it on these cars. I have gotten spoiled with the 360 camera in my Bolt, so perhaps Kia will have that as well. They haven't published a complete feature list yet. Hopefully they are getting close to their North America release. Probably be close to year end before any are actually available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts