Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what the noise is. Is it cooling for the battery charging process?

Battery was at 0 mile range (so 15% or so of capacity) when it was plugged in.

Standard wall outlet using the trickle charger.

Charging light (and no others) is on and blinking on the trickle charger light. Green light is blinking consistently on the car dash itself too.

I can see in the app and on kia.com that it's charging and that the battery percentage is increasing and adding range.

I tried to find something in the manual about this but didn't find anything about this type of noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
237 Posts
Here is a thread that may interest you

quick breakdown of charging noises:

Cooling fan to cool down coolant circulating thru inverter/converter that is conditioning the voltage/amperage to charge battery

Water pump to circulate the coolant thru the converter/inverter

Circulation fan on the inside to run cooling air over the battery when charging

On the PHEV and most Hybrids their brake systems use an accumulator to develop pressure for the brakes without the engine running. This accumulation/pump device clicks on and develops pressure for the brakes as you approach the car. Since the engine is off at times when driving the car, Hybrids use this as a system to make sure the brake hydraulic system is always pressurized to assist the user in applying the brakes. Traditional cars would develop the assist pressure thru the vacuum system with a brake booster but hybrids need to be able to assist the driver with brake application even when the engine isn't running thus the addition of the accumulator system for the brakes in hybrids. The accumulator uses an electric pump to develop the pressure in the accumulator and you hear it click on and run when approaching or starting the vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Will you be upgrading to a L2 charger? I've now owned my 2020 PHEV for about a month. I did install a L2 charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NTNJ5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I selected this one since the wall receptacle matches my drier and I would be able to test it out before completing the install. It comes in handy if I do errands in the morning and want to recharge before going out again. I must admit it's a small advantage since most of the time, the trickle charger would have had enough time to fully charge battery overnight. I was lucky that circuit panel is only 4 feet from charging port when car parked in garage so installation was very simple.

As an aside, my electric company, FPL, initially told me that the rates dropped from 11 cents/kWh to about 8 cents/kWh from 10pm to 3am. A second call to FPL suggested that rates do not change? I still need to get a consensus. In the meantime, I have programmed the car to prioritize charging during those hours. If it turns out that rates do drop, that would mean a 27% savings if all charging occurs during those hours and further justify the L2 charger.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As an aside, my electric company, FPL, initially told me that the rates dropped from 11 cents/kWh to about 8 cents/kWh from 10pm to 3am. A second call to FPL suggested that rates do not change? I still need to get a consensus. In the meantime, I have programmed the car to prioritize charging during those hours. If it turns out that rates do drop, that would mean a 27% savings if all charging occurs during those hours and further justify the L2 charger.
In my area there are 2 options you can sign up for. One is same rate at all times, the other is rate based on time of day. It's possible that they are each talking about a different program. For us, since we're home all day and need to run the AC during the most expensive rate times (2-8pm) it doesn't make sense for us to move to time of day rates. I'd keep an eye on your meter and note the readings at the start/end of each time slot to calculate what you'd pay. The amount of charge needed for the car is way less than AC and pool pumps that are more likely to run during the day. Since our one rate is less than the most expensive time of day (but more than the night time rate) we stuck to the one rate.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
In my area there are 2 options you can sign up for. One is same rate at all times, the other is rate based on time of day. It's possible that they are each talking about a different program.
Thanks. You may be right, I'll check back and try to get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm just wondering what the noise is. Is it cooling for the battery charging process?

Battery was at 0 mile range (so 15% or so of capacity) when it was plugged in.

Charging light (and no others) is on and blinking on the trickle charger light. Green light is blinking consistently on the car dash itself too.

I can see in the app and on kia.com that it's charging and that the battery percentage is increasing and adding range.

I tried to find something in the manual about this but didn't find anything about this type of noise.

Thanks
I've heard a strange noise coming from my PHEV on about three occasions, but it spends hours in the garage when I'm not around, so I suspect that whatever makes that noise runs much more frequently than I've observed. On at least two occasions, it was charging, but I think I also heard it on one occasion when it was not charging.

If you can easily do so, the next time you hear that sound, scooch down next to the driver's side door and try to reach a conclusion about whether it's coming from the front of the car or the rear of the car. Also, if you can open the rear passenger door on the driver's side and listen next to the vent that is under the rear seat and faces the door, see if it sounds like it's coming from there. That vent leads to a cooling duct that leads to a fan that can cool the battery.

The other possible source of the sound that I've heard is the electric fuel pump, which is mounted in the fuel tank, approximately under the rear seat. I haven't yet reached a conclusion about which of these two sources is responsible for the sound that I've heard. But I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that the electric fuel pump is running (uselessly) because on the occasions when I've heard this sound, my garage hasn't been especially hot and the car has been parked for several hours (meaning, the battery had time to cool down, and the battery cooling fan doesn't usually run in my awareness).

I agree with Johnxyz that the braking system can also generate a sound (from the front of the car), but that typically only runs for a few seconds, when you first open the door after being away from the car for a while, or after repeatedly pressing the brake pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts