Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year and a half ago (in January 2018), I got into an accident and totaled my car. I needed a new car asap and had been impressed with Kia since I rented a Kia Soul one time. I was also driving a lot and thought a hybrid would be good. I knew nothing about the Niro since it hadn't been out very long and was actually unaware of any Kia hybrids. As a result, I started looking at other hybrid cars and was surprised when the Kia Niro showed up in my search results. I started researching what the reviews said and wasn't able to find a lot, but what little found was very positive.

I was able to find a very affordable 2017 Snow White Pearl Niro FE with about 500 miles on it about 40 miles away. A little far from me but I decided it was worth it to check it out. I headed out there and took a look at it. Ten hours after my accident, I was headed home in my new Niro.:laugh:
In the year and a half since then, it has been a great car and I am surprised I haven't seen more of them. You know how when you buy a car, afterwards it seems like you see them everywhere? In the past year and a half, I have only seen one other Niro on the roads, a black one.
I am happy to have discovered this forum and thrilled to be part of it. I'll try to upload some images of my Kiro (Kenny) later!

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Welcome! I too wasn't really familiar with Kia hybrids. My son-in-law has a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, which impressed me. I'm only a little over a month into my lease, but so far am very favorably impressed. The PHEV version is excellent on mileage, but even in hybrid mode it does well. My next fill up, which is still a ways away, will be over 200 MPG.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Greetings, glad you like the Niro so far. For me this was my first Kia and my first hybrid coming from VW TDIs and so far I'm impressed. We went with a 2018 EX Premium PHEV and it's been fantastic over 15 months and 20,000+ miles. The interior is really nice and the infotainment system is significantly better than the one in my 2010 VW Golf.

I did a bunch of research before settling on the Kia including post-buyback TDIs, the Audo eTron Sportback wagon and various other PHEVs but the Niro won out based on EV range and interior space primarily. The cost was a big factor too with the PHEV basically paying for itself vs. the regular HEV with the Federal and MD tax credits. Hoping to keep this car for quite a while so we'll see how all the high tech gizmos hold up over time.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm picking up a 2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium tomorrow on a 36mo lease. I've been lurking on the forums and FaceBook groups for about 6 months and test driven about 5 times. I'm looking forward to joining the group.
That's exactly what I got 5 weeks ago. So far, quite pleased. Welcome to you as well!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm picking up a 2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium tomorrow on a 36mo lease. I've been lurking on the forums and FaceBook groups for about 6 months and test driven about 5 times. I'm looking forward to joining the group.
That's exactly what I got 5 weeks ago. So far, quite pleased. Welcome to you as well!
I've had mine for 16 months now, and I think you'll love it even more the longer you have it.

If you use the built in nav every time, use the smart cruise, and pick routes in the 25-40 mph range, you'll average 30-40 miles of range per charge. My best ever was 47.4 at 24 mph on a rural road. On the track I got 80.8 km at 60 km/h. I switched modes when I did that test to see if it matched the WLTP test.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
I think there are quite a few stories like yours in the "I never knew that Kia had a Hybrid".

I was driving a Ford Edge and those crossover's are rather hard on the pocket book. Really comfortable inside and tons of room, but don't get that good milage and far worse, there seems to be a rather bad design flaw with the breaks on them. After replacing the breaks for the 3rd time in 4 years on a 6 year old car (I bought it used) I came to the conclusing that it just had to go. My wife was driving a 12 year old Kia Sportage and its airbags were on the fritz and A/C stopped working so I decided that two new(er) cars were needed.

I too went looking for what was avilible in a Hybrid as I just couldn't see paying the ever increasing fuel costs and I knew with the governement we had at the time that gas prices were just going to keep going up and up. I went out looking and there was a specialized dealer that has a lot full of Hybrid cars. Mostly Toyota Prius but also a mix of Honda, Acura, GM and Ford hybrids. There was also one Kia Optima. The prices were outragous and far more that I was looking to pay went you factor in upfront cost vs pay as you go for gas. I left disillusioned. On the drive home I happend to see a Kia dealership and thought for a lark I'd go inside to see how much a new Kia Optima hybrid was. That was when I saw the Niro and could not believe that I could get a new Hybrid for not much more than it looked like I'd pay for a 3yr old off lease used Prius. Within 24h we had bought two Niro's and am still as much in love with this car and how it drives and how little it costs than when we purchased 8 months ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts