Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been back & fourth with (2019 hybrid) Niro for at least nine months! But I finally pulled the trigger on the first of the month!
I was shopping for an S Touring, but the dealership I went to didn’t have any, so I went with an LX w/ tech package (my second choice, nope didn’t want an EX either & KIA gave me great financing I couldn’t pass)
So far loving the game of keeping those MPGs in the 50s. Currently driving; 82% eco, 18% normal, 0% aggressive.
Anybody got tips on getting the battery charged up to full?
And are they any good Niro sites to get some cool accessories/parts for the new ride?
Well, I’m glad to be in the forum. Can’t wait to see more (positive) info about Niro.
Drive safe & eco, everybody!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats and good luck with your new car. Don't worry about getting your battery up to full. Unless you live where it's VERY hilly and have a long downgrade it ain't gonna happen. When we lived in the Poconos in Pa. our Prius would occasionally get a full battery but with our Niro in Florida it's never gotten past 3/4 full.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Only two ways to get a full battery: go down a long hill maintaining speed with regen (I've seen that once), and using Sport mode - which defeats the efficiency goal.

I've also seen battery over three quarters under adverse driving conditions, wintertime cold, head wind, and heavy rain. I'm not sure why the algorithm behaves so, but it has happened several times. I would have thought such conditions would drop the charge level as it does in some other conditions, like long uphills.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As you see, a hybrid battery is used differently from a PHEV or BEV. By design a hybrid battery is usually kept within a range of 25-75%. It isn't allowed to get super low or fully charged under normal driving conditions. With regeneration, it is possible to bring the battery to near full charge on a long downhill. But normally the computer keeps it within a more middle range. This is basically for two reasons. One is that the battery life is maximized is it is not fully charged or drained. The other is that to provide the benefits of a hybrid powertrain, there must always be some charge available in the battery, and there must be some space for regen energy to be stored. So the engine will run before the battery gets too low, or too heavy a demand made for power.

·
Super Moderator
593 Posts
@Ant_Ele, Welcome to the Forum.

for the 1.56kwh battery charging more than 75%, My collegue Dan (@atc98092 ) has giving a good explination on how the system works. (y)

For the parts, Ebay, Amazon has alot of parts, gadgets etc,, but for real parts that needs to be replaces, i go to Wholesale Kia OEM Parts | Kia Parts Store .. .Very good website with pretty reasonable prices

1 - 6 of 6 Posts