Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Just got our Niro EX Hybrid w/ UVO package. Leasing for 36 Months @ 343/mo. Might finance the remaining 15Kat that point, we'll see. the car is awesome....except accelerating from being stopped. It feels like an insane struggle to get into gear. I tried putting the car into "Sport", to get a "peppier" drive, but the engine sounded very loud, almost like it was straining. Is it supposed to sound like it's revving while accelerating, through a parking lot? I've never driven a hybrid before, so maybe this is all normal? Any help is appreciated. Also, feel free to ask me anything about the car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
This definitely sounds weird.

Welcome and congratulations though.

Perhaps take it to the dealership and have a tech drive it around and see what they think about it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
All I know is -- I am satisfied with acceleration if needed (just mash the pedal ;)).

It's not a high powered car for drag racing (they use a lot of gas), but plenty adequate for any normal situation (including merging with traffic when needed).

I only do quick starts when I need to for extreme merging situations (other wise wait toil traffic opens up) - normally I am conserving energy with easy takeoff.

As far as noise or different feeling than my experience with a full gas engine powered car -- it is different but not a problem as far as I am concerned (gas engine'd cars are noisy also if you get on 'em).

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All,
Just got our Niro EX Hybrid w/ UVO package. Leasing for 36 Months @ 343/mo. Might finance the remaining 15Kat that point, we'll see. the car is awesome....except accelerating from being stopped. It feels like an insane struggle to get into gear. I tried putting the car into "Sport", to get a "peppier" drive, but the engine sounded very loud, almost like it was straining. Is it supposed to sound like it's revving while accelerating, through a parking lot? I've never driven a hybrid before, so maybe this is all normal? Any help is appreciated. Also, feel free to ask me anything about the car :)
I just picked up my Niro Ex this past Saturday and I was wondering should the battery gauge always be close or at high? My gauge is already at the half mark and it doesn't seem to be charging?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just picked up my Niro Ex this past Saturday and I was wondering should the battery gauge always be close or at high? My gauge is already at the half mark and it doesn't seem to be charging?
Mine has been that way since I got it as well. Always stays 1/2 to 3/4 and never fully charges. No clue why that is.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Posted about Battery Charging sometime ago after asking NIRO Customer Service. You might want to look up that post.

Basically, 50% is the design charge level (might see 40% to 75% at times depending on terrain and use).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the same vehicle (EX with tech package) two weeks ago. Though i don't drive it hard, i do pop it into sport mode when i get on the freeway going to/from work. I have never experienced loud engine noise while doing that. It is not exactly quick off the line, but i have no difficulty getting up to freeway speed quickly, even with an uphill onramp in the morning.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I do hear the engine (not considered excessive) when the engine starts at idle or when accelerating.

I have never had a need fr sport mode except downhill grades in mountains. I shifted to sport one time to hold a lower gear for braking. THat was more of a test it than a real need to use it.

I just don't understand all the "issues" with acceleration. Seems adequate to me.

Guess all see cars differently, some drive 500 HP cars (on the street).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts