Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just got our Niro EX Hybrid w/ UVO package. Leasing for 36 Months @ 343/mo. Might finance the remaining 15Kat that point, we'll see. the car is awesome....except accelerating from being stopped. It feels like an insane struggle to get into gear. I tried putting the car into "Sport", to get a "peppier" drive, but the engine sounded very loud, almost like it was straining. Is it supposed to sound like it's revving while accelerating, through a parking lot? I've never driven a hybrid before, so maybe this is all normal? Any help is appreciated. Also, feel free to ask me anything about the car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
All I know is -- I am satisfied with acceleration if needed (just mash the pedal ;)).

It's not a high powered car for drag racing (they use a lot of gas), but plenty adequate for any normal situation (including merging with traffic when needed).

I only do quick starts when I need to for extreme merging situations (other wise wait toil traffic opens up) - normally I am conserving energy with easy takeoff.

As far as noise or different feeling than my experience with a full gas engine powered car -- it is different but not a problem as far as I am concerned (gas engine'd cars are noisy also if you get on 'em).

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All,
Just got our Niro EX Hybrid w/ UVO package. Leasing for 36 Months @ 343/mo. Might finance the remaining 15Kat that point, we'll see. the car is awesome....except accelerating from being stopped. It feels like an insane struggle to get into gear. I tried putting the car into "Sport", to get a "peppier" drive, but the engine sounded very loud, almost like it was straining. Is it supposed to sound like it's revving while accelerating, through a parking lot? I've never driven a hybrid before, so maybe this is all normal? Any help is appreciated. Also, feel free to ask me anything about the car :)
I just picked up my Niro Ex this past Saturday and I was wondering should the battery gauge always be close or at high? My gauge is already at the half mark and it doesn't seem to be charging?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the same vehicle (EX with tech package) two weeks ago. Though i don't drive it hard, i do pop it into sport mode when i get on the freeway going to/from work. I have never experienced loud engine noise while doing that. It is not exactly quick off the line, but i have no difficulty getting up to freeway speed quickly, even with an uphill onramp in the morning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I do hear the engine (not considered excessive) when the engine starts at idle or when accelerating.

I have never had a need fr sport mode except downhill grades in mountains. I shifted to sport one time to hold a lower gear for braking. THat was more of a test it than a real need to use it.

I just don't understand all the "issues" with acceleration. Seems adequate to me.

Guess all see cars differently, some drive 500 HP cars (on the street).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.