Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having been dedicated VW TDI lovers for more than a decade my wife and I decided on a Kia Niro PHEV for our new car. I did a bunch of research before settling on the Niro. The combination of excellent mileage and good interior space were key. I also considered an Audi A3 e-tron, a CPO BMW 328d Xdrive wagon and a post diesel-gate Golf Sportwagon but the Niro won out in terms of mpg and modern features.

We picked up our new Snow White Pearl EX Premium yesterday are very happy so far having put a little over 80 miles on it. White was not my first choice, but it was the only EX Premium in the Mid-Atlantic and the next closest one to us was in Framingham MA. White it is. ;)

All of the tech stuff seems pretty well thought out and the info-tainment system is pretty easy to use and more responsive to touch than our 2010 VW Golf was.

This is our first Kia and I'm pretty impressed with the fit and finish. The interior plastics are bit hard and shiny, but I suspect they'll hold up better than the soft touch stuff that Volkswagen likes to use. The seats are really nice and there is a surprising amount of leg room in the back, even with the driver's seat set for my 6'4" frame. My wife was a bit concerned with the size of the cargo area with the rear seats up given that one of the things we have to haul around is our 110lb Black Lab / Great Dane mix. He'll be fine with the seats folded, so I doubt that will be an issue.

The Niro is also our first hybrid and I'm liking it so far. It's super easy to drive it economically and I actually like the fact that in Eco mode you have to press the accelerator pretty aggressively to really give it the beans. I haven't played around with Sport mode yet and can't really imagine why I would, Eco seems perfectly fine for everyday driving. I'm eager to see how the mileage runs on my 80 mile round trip commute. While not ideal conditions for a PHEV, I figure getting ~20% of my miles on electric can't hurt my overall fuel economy.

Jim
Southern Maryland

1 - 1 of 1 Posts