Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice! My '18 EX Premium PHEV has been fantastic over 55k miles. The only thing I wish mine had was the full stop / start cruise control. That wasn't available in 2018.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just sat down and did some math, trying to figure out exactly what my costs will be to charge this every night

above 1000 KWH energy charge is 9.998c
fuel charge above 1000KWH is 3.811c
asset securitization charge .245c
my energy costs 14.054c per KWH
car charges 8.2 KWH when depleted
costs $1.15 to charge the car per day
5 days per week to charge will be $5.76
cost per month is $23.04 to charge the car
now here is where things are cloudy for me
The average I will achieve in MPG on my commute is unknown right now, but I would guess 43 MPG for largely highway miles to and from work
so if I am getting 43MPG and I am using 11.6 gallons per month less due to the plug in charging, that is saving $34 in gasoline I won't be using, and the cost was $23.04 so I am actually saving $11 by charging every night. That's not adding up to a lot is it?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Your cost to drive is highly dependent on how much you can drive in EV mode. Your electricity is a bit higher than mine. I pay 11 cents /kWh. On average, I would spend about $18 for electricity and $10 on gas per month. That's mostly because most of my driving I could stay within the EV range of the PHEV. A drive to my parents (120 miles round trip) would show on the dash about 55 MPG for the trip, but I would use Sport Mode to keep the battery charged for use around town at both ends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so if I am getting 43MPG and I am using 11.6 gallons per month less due to the plug in charging, that is saving $34 in gasoline I won't be using, and the cost was $23.04 so I am actually saving $11 by charging every night. That's not adding up to a lot is it?
Not sure about your maths b/c I don't know how many miles the Niro pluggable does on purely electric from a full charge.

In any event, yes, the fuel savings are probably not earth-shattering. Marques Brownlee just did a 1,000-mile public road comparison on three cars in New York State at the same time and the energy costs were:

$84.79 Audi Q5 SUV with cross-braces mounted in the rails in the roof
$66.35 Tesla S Plaid automobile with 21" tires
$61.25 Ford Mach-E SUV

If the Tesla driver does 12,000 miles/year, the Tesla guy is saving $240/yr in energy costs. Certainly whether you charge at home, at a "free" charger at work, at public electric stations, and whether you live in California where gasoline is expensive or elsewhere where it is cheap will make a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My math is proving out to be quite accurate.
On a positive note, I can make it all the way to work on EV power only, which is 30 miles on the nose.
This is in warm weather with the air conditioning running the entire time, this route is all interstate as well

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm in Canada so my costs are different. But I save about $200 a month in gas, and my electricity bill is up about $10 a month (for the car).

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Gas and electricity costs vary wildly across the US, so there's no blanket statement one can make about fuel savings. With the PHEV, there's also the huge variable about the amount of time one can remain in EV mode. I can only list what I recorded when I switched from an Outback 3.6R to the Niro PHEV. With gas costs here in the Seattle area, I was spending on average about $200 per month on gas. Driving the Niro, my gas costs were closer to $10-15 per month, and another $15 for electricity. Coupled with saving an additional $150 per month on the car payment, my cost to drive plummeted to almost nothing. The last tank of gas I had before trading the car was calculated at just under 500 MPG, and it would have gone higher if I still had it.

PHEV driving can make a huge difference in gas consumption for many drivers. I made sure I plugged in at every opportunity, so I could remain in EV mode for a significant amount of time. If the ICE hadn't been necessary for cabin heat, my fuel use would have been even lower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts