Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my two keys for my 2017 Niro EX last year. I was at the dealer today getting some warranty work taken care of and inquired about a replacement fob & laser cut key. My quote
Keyless Entry Fob $178
Key Insert $25
Laser Cut of Key $75
Programing of Fob $100
Tax $30

Total $408

Any advice from someone who has found themselves in this predicament? I definitely need a 2nd key but $408 for a key & fob is a little too rich for my station in life. Are there any workarounds on the key with laser cutting or the remote lock/unlock fob? This is not a remote start vehicle. I am looking for a source for dealer parts that are not outrageously priced as my local dealer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's not bad. I was told by my selling dealer not to lose the key & fob, because they cost $500 to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi there! It is a big deal to lose both keys and expensive too. There is a difference between the two kinds of them- with keyless entry and a simple one with remote control. The last one has part number 95430-G5100 and I've found it here - Genuine Kia Niro Remote Key (2016 + ) 95430-G5100. So if you know the part number of your key it would be much easier to find it for a cheaper price. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I bought a spare fob and key off of eBay shortly after buying my Niro. $85 shipped directly from Korea with OEM part number. Actually talked to dealer yesterday about it. $45 to cut key (the single key shop that has the equipment locally charges $75). $115 for programming. Still much better than $400 plus for the whole shebang from the dealer.

You can't have 3 active car fobs though, the car only stores two fob codes. So I have the fob in reserve, but as I stash a mechanical key on the car exterior for emergencies (and my second key fob inside the car wrapped in aluminum foil), these sometimes fall off - duct tape does fail after time. So I am going to cut my 3rd mechanical key for backup in case I lose one mechanical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost one of my two keys for my 2017 Niro EX last year. I was at the dealer today getting some warranty work taken care of and inquired about a replacement fob & laser cut key. My quote
Keyless Entry Fob $178
Key Insert $25
Laser Cut of Key $75
Programing of Fob $100
Tax $30

Total $408

Any advice from someone who has found themselves in this predicament? I definitely need a 2nd key but $408 for a key & fob is a little too rich for my station in life. Are there any workarounds on the key with laser cutting or the remote lock/unlock fob? This is not a remote start vehicle. I am looking for a source for dealer parts that are not outrageously priced as my local dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a place online, they sell the replacement Key fobs and you get the key cut... program yourself... instructions included. $40 for a Chevy Pickup do a search they may have them

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
gemut said:
Keyless Entry Fob $178
Key Insert $25
Laser Cut of Key $75
Programing of Fob $100
Tax $30

Total $408

eBay - I paid $85 for key and fob for OEM part direct from Korea. However, $75 is the apparently standard price for cutting the key but shop around. My dealer quoted $45 and the only key shop in the area with a laser key cutter quoted $75. You are probably stuck with the dealer for programming though. Lots of places program lesser fobs and chipped keys, but not sure you can find one for the Kia fob.

So going with eBay and dealer for the rest will save you $90 only from price list above. Still, $90!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts