Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed we can no longer activate heated accessories (heated steering wheel and heated seats) on remote start after the new app update? Pretty disappointed. Tesla adds features to its vehicles, yet Kia takes them away. My old Volt would activate the heated seats if remote starting and the heater was called for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, we have taken a big step backwards. The previous erosion was much more useable then this new version. I agree a BIG disappointment. As usual they don’t seem to consult current owners.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Anyone else noticed we can no longer activate heated accessories (heated steering wheel and heated seats) on remote start after the new app update? Pretty disappointed. Tesla adds features to its vehicles, yet Kia takes them away. My old Volt would activate the heated seats if remote starting and the heater was called for.
I wonder if there was an issue with the seat heaters burning out if they ran for an extended period with no person in the seat. I recall that being an issue with older heated seats.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
I hadn't noticed that. I've never used that function, mainly because I forgot it was there. It's been cold enough around here it would be nice to heat at least the seat before I leave work. I hope that it's an oversight and gets added back in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought I would never use the climate control but I find we use it in the mornings quite a bit.

I also believed the KIA app was just useless fluff I have really changed my mind.

I parked the car at my daughters school and then went for a run to pass the time while waiting for her. The kids finished the after school activity and were able to find the car in the parking lot, unlock the doors and start the climate control while they waited for me in the safety of the car to complete my run . This one incident demonstrated to me just how valuable this app can be. I am now a confirmed believer in this app.

The parental controls for geo fence etc are also top notch if you have a teenage driver!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I suspect seat heaters are a serious fire risk. That is why they are on a timer, and why remote access was probably removed. Far safer to have someone actually in the car when using them. I don't have them, but would love it! Explored buying from Canada where even base cars have them. They should take only a few seconds to have an impact after turning them on, so I doubt there is much discomfort to get into a preheated car without the seat/wheel heaters already on.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
@TheSilverFlash, That a bummer to take this option off the UVO US app.

As we speak here in the UVO app for Canada, the only model and trim level to have the heated steering, heated mirrons and back glass option is on the EV SX Touring, but never they got the heated seats.

for me on my SX PHEV, none of these options are available. But, i am talking to Kia Canada to see why it's not available.. could you tell me more of your app and see what is available for your PHEV.?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
I suspect seat heaters are a serious fire risk. That is why they are on a timer, and why remote access was probably removed. Far safer to have someone actually in the car when using them. I don't have them, but would love it! Explored buying from Canada where even base cars have them. They should take only a few seconds to have an impact after turning them on, so I doubt there is much discomfort to get into a preheated car without the seat/wheel heaters already on.
Yeah, you're probably right. Compared to the Outback I traded for the Niro, the seats heat very quickly and get much hotter than the Sube. And there's no comparison between the heated wheel on the Outback and the Niro. Again, the Kia heats much faster, gets much warmer, and heats the entire wheel. The Outback doesn't heat the upper third of the wheel, and never gets more than lukewarm. I'm glad I traded for those two things alone, let alone reducing my gas consumption about 80%. :cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suspect seat heaters are a serious fire risk. That is why they are on a timer, and why remote access was probably removed. Far safer to have someone actually in the car when using them.
Not sure I follow. The risk, if there is any, is the same whether I’m in the car or not. Still don’t understand why they removed functionality that the vehicle previously had that a lot of other hybrids and EVs have.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A monitored seat heater by the driver avoids your house burning down from an unattended seat fire. As to your second implied question, we have this legal system in the US that can result in high liability settlements. Different companies have different risk management strategies. Which can change. Either the app wasn't run by legal initially, or the risk assessment changed.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Note the dates here. Seat heater availability and use has increased dramatically since then. And I would assume that none of the issues described here originated from remote use.

• During a six-year period, NHTSA received 138 complaints about malfunctioning seat heaters, with reports ranging from a burning smell to visible flames. Sixty-nine of the accounts involved some mention of fire, according to an Edmunds analysis of complaints made to NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) from January 1, 2005 to March 31, 2011.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A monitored seat heater by the driver avoids your house burning down from an unattended seat fire. As to your second implied question, we have this legal system in the US that can result in high liability settlements. Different companies have different risk management strategies. Which can change. Either the app wasn't run by legal initially, or the risk assessment changed.
We will have to agree to disagree on the perceived risk. Bottom line, Kia removed embedded functionality the car was originally sold with without consulting or notifying owners that it was doing so. There’s ways they could have mitigated any perceived risk (activate the seat heater on its lowest setting for a shorter amount of time) but they chose not to. It is not right. I don’t know if you are a CarPlay or Android Auto user, but imagine Kia removing that functionality with an OTA update because of licensing issues without telling you nor giving you any alternative. Same thing.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There are no OTA updates available for the car - it just is not technically possible. Nor did you have to update your app - the maker did not force you to enable auto updates. It is not me that is concerned with perceived risk, I'm only pointing out reasonable concerns and liability risks borne by the the manufacturer. AA and CP are major features, and Kia would probably lose to owners in a lawsuit. I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on with something like an app not working well, or changing minor features like a seat heater. As I previously noted, there is little downside to losing such a feature when you can enter a fully preheated car and then turn a seat heater on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I suggest you contact KIA UVO/Owners app support. They were helpful to me when we lost the ability to connect with the car. They contacted me through email and also called me on the phone to resolve the issue. They then followed up to make sure the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

They may take your input and decided to allow the heated seat option. Who knows they may not even know that functionality was lost. If you call and explain your situation it might have a positive result!

You can also contact them through email at KIA Customer Service

1 - 14 of 14 Posts