Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased (about a month ago) a 2022 Niro PHEV (US market). When I picked up the car, I was introduced to the Kia Access app by the dealer. All seemed fine at the time, in terms of signing up. But, since using this for about 1 month…I've found (although the app is useable), I can't understand how this is a paid for product? I find the following just out of the gate -
  1. It has been frequently 'down' and not working. Although generally available most of the time.
  2. App requires me to re-login every few days with the message "you must login to continue". I have an iPhone, and there doesn't seem to be FaceID incorporated…so have to manually re-login. Just an annoyance but why?
  3. 'My Trips', seems to be pretty much be a joke. Sometimes I'll get 1 or 2 entries for the day. But 99% of the 'trips' taken are not registered at all, or inaccurately.
  4. Little 'petrol pump' icon is static, showing almost empty tank (100% of the time), whereas the battery icon is variable showing the percentage state of charge. I assume the pump icon should be reflective of the fuel level in the petrol tank?
  5. Est. Battery Range - doesn't seem to update when charging and once charged. If I plug in the car with 5mi range left. And, charge it to 100% (26mi range), the app will continue to show 5mi range (I think until the car is started again).
  6. Notifications don't seem to work correctly. Specifically, I'm only really interested in knowing when the charging has STOPPED. From day one I have enabled, 'Charge start/stop' as a push notification. I have charge the car dozens of times, and never once received a charging notification.
I've only touched on the few items I've really used over the past few weeks. But personally, I don't see this app as worth it, other than to tell me the status of my doors being locked, and car battery level.

Do others have a similar experience? Does anyone feel this app is worth purchasing after the 1st year?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, it's really not that great. For the most part it's only been good for letting me know the doors are unlocked. I can't believe the car doesn't have auto sensing door locks. My 2012 Volt had those but a car 10 years in the future still lacks it. I guess I'll have e to get used to manually locking the doors with the little button on the door handle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
"App requires me to re-login every few days with the message "you must login to continue". I have an iPhone, and there doesn't seem to be FaceID incorporated…so have to manually re-login. Just an annoyance but why?"

- I have an older Iphone and it does ask to re-login but it does remember my user name and password if I use finger print option on my old tech phone.

"'My Trips', seems to be pretty much be a joke. Sometimes I'll get 1 or 2 entries for the day. But 99% of the 'trips' taken are not registered at all, or inaccurately."

I'm with you on this, Think I read that there was a possible update to it a while back, but haven't taken car in yet to see if an update is available.

"Little 'petrol pump' icon is static, showing almost empty tank (100% of the time), whereas the battery icon is variable showing the percentage state of charge. I assume the pump icon should be reflective of the fuel level in the petrol tank?"

Yes, but I really follow the miles est. range... Not that big a deal to me.

"Est. Battery Range - doesn't seem to update when charging and once charged. If I plug in the car with 5mi range left. And, charge it to 100% (26mi range), the app will continue to show 5mi range (I think until the car is started again)."

I don't have that issue. Charge at a community charging center and seems to automatically update every 10% so at 30%. 40%, 50%, etc. you can click where the message is that shows last time updated to have it refresh (takes 20-40 seconds to update).

I'm not sure going to upgrade at end of year currently. into 2rd month of service and might to partial update... Maybe...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
4 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I was not aware when I purchased my 2022 Niro EV that this app would have to be purchased after the first year. My cynical guess is that Kia is more interested in an additional revenue stream than in adding value to customer driving experience, but what do I know. My personal motto is, don't pay for anything you don't need. I have found that the app reminding me that the car is unlocked is highly annoying. It notifies me when the car is parked in the garage where I don't see the need lock it - I always lock the car with the key fob by habit anytime I am out. I haven't otherwise found the need to use the app for anything else. So, I will definitely not be purchasing this app if / when Kia tries to sell it to me. I would like to remove it from my phone. But if there's a compelling reason to keep it, please let me know.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
445 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the app. As a parent I really like the location feature that allows you to see the location of the car. This can allow us to make sure one of the kids arrived safely or is where they said they were going. We trust the kids but it is reassuring to be able to check on them when they are driving.

We also have had continuing issues with the app working reliably. I recieved this reply from KIA when i gave them feedback about the apps unreliability

From KIA support:

"Just following up, the application isn't frozen just not retrieving the most updated state of the vehicle. I will advise it would be best if you are trying to utilize the app to open it up every other day instead, you also can press the vehicle status button or press the arrows by the last refresh date to also update the vehicle status. The reason you have to go out to the vehicle is because if you go 4-5 days without attempting to send any commands the modem goes to sleep. Please try at least to open the app up every other day and simply press the refresh button to make sure the modem is not being allowed to go to sleep.

Sincerely,
Kia America
"

To me the bolded part of this answer makes the app not worth purchasing at this time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The modem goes to sleep? Wow. A timer to wake it once per day or so should be built-in.

Android app. '22 Niro EV EX. Climate control does not start reliably. As I recall, before a recent app update, it worked, but either doesn't work at all now or is unreliable.

I can start charging the car, and the app shows it it at top, but often does not show "charging" lower down on the screen until I press the button there to "start" charging.

"My Trips" reporting seems to work well, but you need to put in the date range or you typically get nothing if you haven't driven that day.

I don't mind being reminded that the doors are unlocked; the remote lock function seems to work well.

Will probably renew the basic app subscription, but better functionality would be nice. And, really, it should be free. Geez. Feels like nickel-and-diming for a car that's over $40k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The modem goes to sleep? Wow. A timer to wake it once per day or so should be built-in.

Android app. '22 Niro EV EX. Climate control does not start reliably. As I recall, before a recent app update, it worked, but either doesn't work at all now or is unreliable.

I can start charging the car, and the app shows it it at top, but often does not show "charging" lower down on the screen until I press the button there to "start" charging.

"My Trips" reporting seems to work well, but you need to put in the date range or you typically get nothing if you haven't driven that day.

I don't mind being reminded that the doors are unlocked; the remote lock function seems to work well.

Will probably renew the basic app subscription, but better functionality would be nice. And, really, it should be free. Geez.
I can’t get my trips to report the last couple of days.
It shows the first few trips and then NADA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my phone to the car and the car shows every trip since new but the app won’t.
The charge level changes and the door locks show correctly but no trips since the first few.
Makes me crazy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stiil trying to get the ios app to show my trips but it shows nothing since 5/24/22.
I don't underatand why.
I will contact my dealer and see if they can figure it out as I am at a total loss..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will try Kia directly tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
I haven’t tried Kia yet as 1 trip out of 6 showed up on the app. So I thought I would give it another try but,
After going for a 100mi. Or so trip nothing.
I start radiation therapy on Wednesday so I would sure like it to keep track of my visits to the doctor.
Dealer said we could contact KIA together. So, wish me luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wishing you luck on all counts!

BTW if you have gmail your smartphone, and you allow it, Google will keep track of your day-to-day wherabouts in the Google Maps Timeline. Doesn't cost anything except that they know where you are, which they probably do anyway. You will need to test to make sure it's working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I kinda have the same issue, for me it only shows my trips but not that of other users of the car and I can't change the name in the app so I can look at it.

Do you have any idea where on the dashboard in the car I have to go to see all the trips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts