Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what crashed their servers? Down for 2 days on the app. and have not neen able to remote start my Nero and it is -34! Warming up this week though to 28 by sunday!

Thanks,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,447 Posts
Makes me wonder if they got hit with one of those ransomware attacks.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Just tested the app, and it's still reporting an IT outage. Seems highly unusual for something this important to be down for so long, unless their IT department has a lousy backup/restore plan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chinese government has hacked literally everything. Russian government is close behind. Both are doing things to servers that are not in our best interest, namely data harvesting and inserting code to benefit them. Hackers are in it for the money with ransomware attacks.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
292 Posts
I am able to use the app as of this morning.

I would be curious if their server is located in Texas and went down when the grid went down in Texas

If so they may need to invest in a uninterruptable power supply supported by a generator back up.

Armchair quarterbacking is easy, I bet KIA is already working on implementing countermeasures to make sure whatever happened doesn't happen again.

As a side note our second car is a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe and the Hyundai Bluelink app that allows remote interaction with the vehicle never experienced an interruption. Maybe their server is located in a different part of the country or has a power backup.

Both Hyundai and KIA apps are nice - in my humble opinion KIA has a much better app with richer features. I appreciate both apps and am a frequent user- thank you KIA for remote start in this near 0 degree weather and snow storms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I was able to get in too. Thats a good point about Texas. I am sure their servers are in a data center that has diesel generators. I know that ours, the generators have their own city block.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
I tried the app earlier this morning and it still failed. I too just tried it again and it's now functional. I also just checked the finance site and the owner portal. All seem to be back up and running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts