Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV that I bought in December 2018. The display screen has periodically gone black and as many people have mentioned, I had to pull over and turn the car off and back on again and the screen came back on again. (But what a pain for a new car, especially traveling down the interstate.)

Now I have two more problems. The actual screen itself seems to be "slipping" down. There is a black sealing strip along the top and the top left hand side of it is slipping, so that I have a black band across the top of the screen. Now Carplay has also stopped working. It connects when I plug in the USB to my iPhone but after about 5 seconds it disconnects. Unplug the phone and plug it back in. Same thing.

I took it in to the dealership and they're ordering a whole new unit. But I'm wondering, since so many people are having glitches with their screens going black, if this is something that is going to go on. The warranty covers 36k I think, but after that, will I have to replace the whole thing? And how much would that cost? I have an extended warranty that the dealership talked me into but I'm thinking this wouldn't be covered.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
While my car is only a month old, I see none of these issues. CarPlay works first time every time I connect the phone, which is more than I can say about my previous Subaru Outback. But if it is a problem down the line, at least I'm completely under warranty during me entire lease period.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Depends on what extended warranty you bought? Hard to say without reading it. Go back to who you bought the extended warranty from and ask him point blank if it's covered and for how long. Also the service manager should know what extended warranty you have probably better to ask the service manager actually.

·
Registered
76 Posts
are you saying there are places where kia does no guarantee its cars 7 years? I honnestly thought it was worldwide .

to the O.P. your infotainment system is obviously faulty, not normal on a car a few months old, it should be covered as long as the car is under waranty, and after that the replacement if it is a design fault should still be covered until the problem is solved...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Every market has a different warranty. I assume for competitive reasons (new automakers with bad cars originally trying to break into a big market) that Hyundai and Kia have their apparently best warranties in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having the exact same problem!! I bought my 2019 Kia Niro plug in in late December 2018 also. The screen periodically goes black but comes back on when I turn the engine off and on again. The the screen started slipping just as you describe with the little black gasket showing. Now CarPlay disconnects so I can only use bluetooth and the radio. The dealership has also ordered a new unit for me but said its backlogged so they don't know when it will come in.

Meanwhile, my check engine light has come on twice now so it's going back in the shop. This is my first Kia having been a long time Toyota owner. Starting to have second thoughts.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if the infotainment is a faulty design, it should be replaced even after the warranty period, especially since so many others are having the same black screen problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Infotainment

I paid for an extended warranty on all electrical components on this vehicle through my dealership. I can guarantee that this head unit will go out before the 10 year warranty. Most computers I work on barely last 2-3 years. I had an old IBM think-pad and it lasted over 5 years...it just became obsolete at some point. Electronic components will give out...it's just a matter of when.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
224 Posts
I had a Prius with a multi function display that had no problems after 150,000 and 12 years. Also a Sienna that is now 15 years old with the original radio/entertainments systems with no problems.
I bet the Kia Niro can match that. It seems like a very well built vehicle with quality parts throughout. Maybe OP has a faulty unit - which happens sometimes on electric components and it will be covered by the manufactures warranty.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I paid for an extended warranty on all electrical components on this vehicle through my dealership. I can guarantee that this head unit will go out before the 10 year warranty. Most computers I work on barely last 2-3 years. I had an old IBM think-pad and it lasted over 5 years...it just became obsolete at some point. Electronic components will give out...it's just a matter of when.
That's a rather bold guarantee. :D But I agree that electronics have a lifespan that rarely equals non-technical devices. However, from what I've read here it's nothing compared to the head unit issue Subaru has been dealing with on their 2017-18 Outbacks. I had mine for 1 1/2 years, and the H/U went out a half dozen times. I was one of the fortunate ones, in that mine always started working again after a long enough stop. But many, many owners had their H/U replaced more than once. They might have finally gotten a firmware version that completely resolved it, but if it bricked before getting it installed you were out of luck.

I also have to say the voice recognition of the Kia H/U is noticeably better than the Subaru. Amazing since they are Harmon-Kardon units. Sometimes if was impossible for my Outback to recognize "home" when trying to voice dial. Some of the matches it came up with you won't believe. While I usually use CarPlay, the Kia has "called home" without making an error once.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had the black screen problem maybe 4-5 times over about one year. It always resolves for me by just disconnecting my phone and plugging it back in. I have been assuming a flaky cable since I bought it on Monoprice and am fairly rough with it.

The "slipping" issue I have not seen. If you can reproduce these problems I would show the dealer and get them to fix it or replace the unit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi. I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV that I bought in December 2018. The display screen has periodically gone black and as many people have mentioned, I had to pull over and turn the car off and back on again and the screen came back on again. (But what a pain for a new car, especially traveling down the interstate.)
You all know there is a reset button just to the right of the volume knob right? It will reset the headunit if it goes blank. It has happened to me already (only have 500 miles) and pushing the reset button while driving reset the unit and brought it back online. No need to pull over and turn car off and back on.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Kia has released a software update that might help people with the black screen problem. Ask your service garage about TSBELE162_R1 (released last December and revised in April). If they don't recognize that number, ask them about issue number SA366. But obviously, a software update isn't going to correct the "slipping" problem that Nancy Gottovi mentioned, which sounds like the head unit wasn't properly installed to begin with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts