Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving hybrid on the plugin is 105 mpg, how long will the battery last until i need to recharge?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You should recharge daily, if not twice daily depending on your commute. You should have a display for EV miles left which should help you. Max EV is something like 27 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so when im driving in hybrid mode on the plugin it will still burn through the 27 mi of electric battery first?

if i drive 150 mi on hybrid mode will i have any battery juice left?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The vehicle will use whatever power it determines that it needs. If you jump in and stomp on the accelerator, even with 27 miles of electric and a full hybrid battery, it will run on gas motor. If you drive gently, it might burn up all 27 miles of plug-in battery and 50% or more of the hybrid power before it starts the gas engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of my other cars, also a PHEV, will let me conserve the battery for city use (some cities restrict ICE cars in certain areas or heavily taxed on a daily basis). I am not sure if the Niro can do this. Perhaps sport mode? My Nirowill use up battery miles first which is the way I like it. BEV range is usually at least 30 miles with a/c on, even though it indicates 24. The power of regen braking!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Isn't there a button close to your shifter that is to force EV? It is not a true force, but can aid you in keeping EV to city miles and being fully drained pulling up to your next charger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, on the PHEV there is a button just left of the shifter that keeps the car in EV mode. I've left it on for the three weeks I've had mine and the ICE has only kicked in twice: once on my way home after driving 49 miles around town and once when I gunned it to clear another car in a merge situation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own the 2017 EX standard hybrid, NOT plug in. Don't forget however, that even if you deplete your 27 miles of all electric range, you will still be recharging with regen braking,,,,,,, so your vehicle will still run partial EV, ICE, and true HYBRID mode (ICE & EV), it will just run like mine, standard hybrid, still giving you great mpg's......... previous poster is correct, it would be best to charge up everyday, to top off your battery so you will gain from its full potential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts