Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a modified version of Android Auto on my tablet so I could play audio books. I decided to click on the "maps" button when I saw it and was surprised to see myself identified in the correct location, and all the roads and POI's near me. My tablet had installed the google offline maps for my city. And between the google offline maps and the car knowing it's location I can use it to navigate. Only caveat is that I will need to download the offline maps before I get to an area as the tablet does not have a cell connection.

This was a great find. Especially for someone like me who still holds out from having a cell phone. Now I just wish they had put that USB plug in the center console so everything can be neat and tidy (or Andriod Auto could be wireless). I might buy a smaller tablet so I can put it in the phone charger location.

Edit: My tablet has GPS capability.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Why not just a phone? That is a lot smaller and handier for carrying in the car and you can display Google Maps on the car display. You may not get timely turn by turn instructions without a carrier connection, but you can read them or simply go visually.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
What you also might be missing is a GPS. The tablet might work just fine if you have WIFI as quite often the phones use that in tandem with the GPS to locate yourself through triangulation. But if you get yourself in a location that doesn't have WIFI then your lost.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just a phone? That is a lot smaller and handier for carrying in the car and you can display Google Maps on the car display. You may not get timely turn by turn instructions without a carrier connection, but you can read them or simply go visually.
I assumed that a phone would be more expensive. I see smart phones and tablets seem to start around the same price point. Thank you!

With the tablet I do get turn by turn instructions, I see no reason why it would be different for a smart phone with no data plan.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you also might be missing is a GPS. The tablet might work just fine if you have WIFI as quite often the phones use that in tandem with the GPS to locate yourself through triangulation. But if you get yourself in a location that doesn't have WIFI then your lost.
I definitely have been out of wifi range. I had assumed that my tablet did not have GPS capability. But after googling the specs, it does.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I'm probably wrong about the turn by turn verbal instructions - those are triggered by active GPS which all phones have. You can buy a used phone for practically nothing, nor do you need anything special just to run maps in your car. No phone service needed.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Your thread got me thinging but in a different direction than you are. I use an Andriod phone for all my day to day as I prefer it and never bought into the side of what Apple puts out. But I rather detest the fact that you have to dig the phone out of your pocket and plug it into the car to get the Andriod Auto to work for the navigation. As well, I have a small iPod mini that was left over from the days before that is just as simple to keep the tunes that I like stored on. Every once in a while I might shake it up and load on a new set of songs if for some reason I get tired with the set on the unit.

Your thought about using a tablet for GPS got me wondering. If you have the tablet plugged in all the time, how does this affect the Bluetooth connection with a phone? Does the fact that you have a device linked via in your case Andriod Auto superspeed the telephone connection that was working wirelessly? Could you have the AA running from one device and still maintain a telephone service via BlueTooth and have the voice commands know to route to the correct device? What if you had say an old Apple iPhone without a cel service sim card installed. it would have all the GPS services and maps but no ability to connect to cel for phone or data. Would the Niro still route in my case the phone service over to my Andriod Phone so I can still voice command to make phone calls?

Hummm. Looks like I will have to give it some testing to see if this would work. I have an iPhone 7 kicking around that I can put IOS13.3 for the lastest maps and CarPlay services on. But the phone is broken for real use as the speaker inside the phone doesn't work, the Camera is shot and the screen is cracked. The phone cost more to get fixed than simply to buy a newer better iPhone for that family member. But why toss it if it can serve as a good new use.

Update

so I wiped the old iphone and installed ios13.3. When you plug the iphone into the car it automatically disconnects any bluetooth connected device from the car. I have not found any method to change this.

·
Super Moderator
891 Posts
so I wiped the old iPhone and installed iOS 13.3. When you plug the iPhone into the car it automatically disconnects any Bluetooth connected device from the car. I have not found any method to change this.
I believe you'll find that with all cars that offer AA or CarPlay. If I had to guess, it might be a requirement of Apple/Google. Or, it might be a hardware limitation, and the BT connection isn't available when AA/CP is enabled.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Not a hardwire limitation, but a software override when using AA/CP. Reason being to go hands free, so apps and device use on car monitor are limited on purpose for safety. Of course it is possible to use BT and USB at the same time (plus SIM card and audio output).

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
The problem for me has to do with roaming charges. It might not be an issue for anyone in Europe who will drive from one country to the next and not need to do anything with their cell phone as it just works and their coverage plan doesn't need to change.

But I live in the North. A country called Canada where the cell phone companies are blood-sucking vampires who will screw you over for every penny they can just for the sake of it. But I don't live far north enough that I don't have a pull to the USA where there are certain stores that are just not up here. Where prices for certain items are 1/2 the cost even with the weak Canadian Dollar. But the problem is that Google does such a wonderful job of not working offline. They have made their mapping solution so that you are more or less forced to have some sort of internet connection to get their navigation system to work. So when I cross the border to the USA, all of a sudden my Google phone reaches into my pocket and starts to bill me $20/mb for the privilege of having a clue where I am going. I might as well turn off the phone and buy a stand-alone GPS from TomTom or Garmin as it would be cheaper than a single dip into the USA.

Now. Apple has the decency to pre-install it's maps onto the phone and won't just for the sake of it re-download maps just because the one loaded isn't the newest even though 99.999% likely that the update is totally irrelevant and have ZERO impact on trying to get from the border bridge to a particular store or shopping mall. So it's trying to figure out how to tame Google to play nicely in a world where as soon as I cross over the border I have NO INTERNET.

·
Super Moderator
891 Posts
I was under the impression that you could download maps for offline use with Google Maps. I just checked Google Maps on my iPhone, and it allows downloading offline maps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting a cheap smartphone just for this. $70 CDN from BestBuy which strangely arrived in an Amazon box. Got a stubby right angle cable for it too. Now it's relatively neat and tidy and very hard to see for any opportunist thief. I leave the phone in the car all the time except if I'm downloading podcasts or what ever.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I donate all my Amazon boxes to a local mail order company. That is the most direct recycling possible. Of course, Best Buy may just leave all their logistics to Amazon. If you can't beat them...

·
Super Moderator
891 Posts
Some tablets do have a sim slot. I think it is a hundred dollar upcharge on iPad models. Crazy pricing of course.
Depends on the carrier. Verizon doesn't use SIM cards, while AT&T does. T-Mobile also uses them. Can't speak to other carriers, as I have no experience with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts