Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kia niro 17 is making squeaking noises when I push on my brakes dealer said it so people can hear the car anybody else know about this it's a proper turn off the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your dealer is an idiot. Brakes should not make squeaking sounds...ever.
Said because its a hybrid its the only way ppl can hear the car?? What's the point in being a hybrid and paying the money I paid to hear squeaks I'm still fuming!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,264 Posts
Said because its a hybrid its the only way ppl can hear the car?? What's the point in being a hybrid and paying the money I paid to hear squeaks I'm still fuming!!
Hybrids have artificial sound when moving below about 15 MPH, but it's not a squeak and it doesn't come from the brakes. Yes, that dealer is simply shining you on, most likely because he doesn't want to deal with it.

Brakes make noise when something is out of tolerance. The pads can be worn, the rotor warped, a caliper piston sticking. They should be examined by someone who has a clue. The dealer may have perfectly competent mechanics, but you have to get through the service adviser first.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
120 Posts
My kia niro 17 is making squeaking noises when I push on my brakes dealer said it so people can hear the car anybody else know about this it's a proper turn off the car
Brakes should not be making any noise. When I push on the brakes it is smooth and there is no noise. You should go to another place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
"My kia niro 17 is making squeaking noises when I push on my brakes dealer said it so people can hear the car anybody else know about this it's a proper turn off the car "

Jen87, sorry I could not get past the punctuation (lack thereof) in your run-on sentence.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Jen87, sorry I could not get past the punctuation (lack thereof) in your run-on sentence.
Since he appears to be somewhere in Europe (or perhaps So. America, I don't recognize the flag) English is possibly not his primary language. I try to let things like that slide, and concentrate on the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since he appears to be somewhere in Europe (or perhaps So. America, I don't recognize the flag) English is possibly not his primary language. I try to let things like that slide, and concentrate on the issue.
You're a moderator?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
40 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe that is the flag of Ireland

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
You're a moderator?
Yep. As I said, if someone is asking a reasonable question, and it appears that English might not be their native language, I'm not going to harp on them about grammatical things. Using forums such as this should be welcoming and forgiving for newcomers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. As I said, if someone is asking a reasonable question, and it appears that English might not be their native language, I'm not going to harp on them about grammatical things. Using forums such as this should be welcoming and forgiving for newcomers.
Jesus I wouldn't have bothered even asking about the car if I knew it was cause this much ****!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
40 Posts
And yes people I'm Irish I was askin a question about my car not my grammer.
Squealing while braking is not necessarily abnormal on cars today, but I have never heard a Niro squeal while braking because most of the braking is regenerative and does not involve the brake friction material. I would take the car to a different repair location(s) until they address the issue. As a licensed auto service repair tech, I do most of my own maintenance and I would certainly attempt to find the squealing source and fix.

·
Registered
522 Posts
And yes people I'm Irish I was askin a question about my car not my grammer.
You have to sorta ignore the snide comments on sites like these.....But getting back to your brakes. Do you notice the squeal everytime you apply the brakes or perhaps when you first use the car in the morning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Squealing while braking is not necessarily abnormal on cars today, but I have never heard a Niro squeal while braking because most of the braking is regenerative and does not involve the brake friction material. I would take the car to a different repair location(s) until they address the issue. As a licensed auto service repair tech, I do most of my own maintenance and I would certainly attempt to find the squealing source and fix.
It's definetly my brakes making the noise and even when I'm turning my steering wheel sometimes too very frustrating

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
It's definetly my brakes making the noise and even when I'm turning my steering wheel sometimes too very frustrating
Then it really needs to be looked at. As mentioned, properly functioning brakes should not be making any significant noise. And since so much of the braking in a Niro is done with regen, the physical brakes just don't do much typically. You could have a caliper that has seized up from lack of use, the pads might be worn (unlikely but possible) or there might be some sort of mechanical failure. Don't mess around with something as important as your braking system, get it checked out.

And the steering should never make any sort of noise, let alone any sort of squeal.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Car brake setups are much more robust than bicycles, but my front disk pads do rub going around corners from wheel/fork flex. It also squeals initially when wet. Sometimes on bicycle brakes, cleaning them reduces noise. There is also a trick for all disk brakes to put compound between the caliper and the brake to stop squealing by damping the vibration.

That said, the pad should not be touching the disk when you are not braking. These are full retraction no-touch brakes, part of the reason why they last so long. If it happens while turning, there is some flex happening or something is loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts