Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My Kia Niro from 2017 doesn't start and gives "Hybrid System Problem".
It did start till 2 weeks ago but it doesn't start anymore.

It also gives a "Check LKAS" problem.

What can be the problems for this? I am searching a lot but nothing seems to help.

Me personally think that it's the accu.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Did you try hitting the 12v. battery reset button?

·
Registered
425 Posts
There's a switch on the bottom left of the steering wheel. It should say 12. reset. Your owners manual should give you a picture

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
His display is working, so the 12 volt relay is in its normal closed position (12 volt system on). It doesn't actually reset anything, just closes the relay if it was opened to prevent draining the battery.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh yes, I didn't think of that, if the 12v. was dead nothing would work. Guess the covid-19 is affecting my brain LOL. My wife and I got it so this site helps pass the time LOL.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hope you get through it. Stay alert, some people can get critical many weeks later but not known how common that is. Was originally thought to be possible reinfection but so far no such cases been proven, all the suspected cases are actually delayed symptoms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His display is working, so the 12 volt relay is in its normal closed position (12 volt system on). It doesn't actually reset anything, just closes the relay if it was opened to prevent draining the battery.
Which relay?
I really want to know what the problems can be.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The HEV with the 12 volt lithium battery has a sensing system that monitors the voltage. If it drops below a certain threshold indicating excessive battery drain, it opens a relay to prevent further drain and possible battery damage. This disconnects the 12 volt system completely, disabling all car systems. You will not be able to use the fob to unlock your car, and the dash will not light up, nor will you be able to start the car.

The battery "reset" button closes the relay, restoring the 12 volt system. So you can now start your car and drive normally. It does not recharge your battery. The manual recommends that you leave your car "on" for 30 minutes after such an event to allow the systems to recharge the battery (done by a DC/DC converter from the traction battery). You do not actually need to drive the car.

It has happened to me twice, both related to an OBD reader left plugged in overnight. Works brilliantly, hit the button and off you go. Way better than the flat 12 volt lead acid battery issues of the PHEV and BEV that cause early failure of those batteries and require a jump to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The HEV with the 12 volt lithium battery has a sensing system that monitors the voltage. If it drops below a certain threshold indicating excessive battery drain, it opens a relay to prevent further drain and possible battery damage. This disconnects the 12 volt system completely, disabling all car systems. You will not be able to use the fob to unlock your car, and the dash will not light up, nor will you be able to start the car.

The battery "reset" button closes the relay, restoring the 12 volt system. So you can now start your car and drive normally. It does not recharge your battery. The manual recommends that you leave your car "on" for 30 minutes after such an event to allow the systems to recharge the battery (done by a DC/DC converter from the traction battery). You do not actually need to drive the car.

It has happened to me twice, both related to an OBD reader left plugged in overnight. Works brilliantly, hit the button and off you go. Way better than the flat 12 volt lead acid battery issues of the PHEV and BEV that cause early failure of those batteries and require a jump to start.
So I need to press the "Battery Reset" button? .. but I can't find it (I live in the Netherlands). It isn't on the left side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You have a 2017 with a lead acid battery, right? Thus no reset button.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's not on the steering wheel, it's on the bottom of the dash, near the gas tank filler door opening button.

Regardless of where it is, that's not your problem because you HAVE power as can be seen by your lit up dashboard in the photos you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's not on the steering wheel, it's on the bottom of the dash, near the gas tank filler door opening button.

Regardless of where it is, that's not your problem because you HAVE power as can be seen by your lit up dashboard in the photos you posted.
Oh okay. It goes on ignition but when I press the brake and try to start it doesn't work. The batterylevel has 1 stripe on the dashboard.

So pressing on the battery reset button isn't necessary?... and what can be the problem(s)? PS: I can't find the battery reset button.. I think it doesn't have one, because there are 2 accu's: one in the front and one in the back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So: I have a Kia Niro from 2017 with a lead acid battery.. no 12v battery reset button. I have power, but on the dash there's one stripe battery.
When I read all the fault codes I see: CAN Time-Out on many things. Is there someone that knows how to fix it? I have tried many things but nothing seems to help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts