Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a rather lively conversation on a WoodWorking Forum about Hybrid cars vs old diesel trucks. The truck people are going on about how they get far better milage (while driving it mainly highway long distance) and how in the winter they would leave the truck running as it gets too cold and don't want to get stuck on a job site with a truck that can't start as the oil is too cold, or battery won't crank over.

I live in Southern Ontario so we do get some cold snaps but nothing prolonged and down around the 0 to -15F range for days on end like they do out in Alberta and Manitoba.. I am wondering if anyone here who has a Niro has experiance with very cold weather, engine starting. If you have ever had the engine stop at a traffic light (as it's designed to) but never started back up becuase it's too cold.

I think it's just fluster from a whole bunch of RedNecks who fear technology so it all must be bad. But I have no experiance with these sorts of conditions so I figure I'd ask.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am having a rather lively conversation on a WoodWorking Forum about Hybrid cars vs old diesel trucks. The truck people are going on about how they get far better milage (while driving it mainly highway long distance) and how in the winter they would leave the truck running as it gets too cold and don't want to get stuck on a job site with a truck that can't start as the oil is too cold, or battery won't crank over.

I live in Southern Ontario so we do get some cold snaps but nothing prolonged and down around the 0 to -15F range for days on end like they do out in Alberta and Manitoba.. I am wondering if anyone here who has a Niro has experiance with very cold weather, engine starting. If you have ever had the engine stop at a traffic light (as it's designed to) but never started back up becuase it's too cold.

I think it's just fluster from a whole bunch of RedNecks who fear technology so it all must be bad. But I have no experiance with these sorts of conditions so I figure I'd ask.
I think it's more a case of old guys remembering how things used to work. Diesel fuel will gel (literally solidify like jello) if the temps get too cold. It's not much of a problem today with modern fuel additives but it still can happen in extreme conditions. If it does, you're stuck until you can warm the fuel up enough to get it flowing again. :eek:

Same with batteries. As we are all finding out now (offer not valid in the southern hemisphere), battery efficiency suffers greatly in cold weather. In my PHEV in the Mid-Atlantic US where temps could be described as mildly chilly, I've lost a good 4-6 miles of EV range in the morning. Those old diesel guys remember trying to start a cold, high compression engine with an equally cold, maybe past its sell by date, battery.

To answer your question, no I've never had the engine fail to restart in the Niro and I would be shocked if it did.

Hybrids have much smaller, easier to crank, gasoline powered, spark ignition engines cranked by a relatively enormous starter motor connected to an equally enormous battery. There's no comparison to a large, high compression, compression ignition engine dependent on glow plugs to warm the cylinder enough to fire the (possibly gelled) very cold fuel using a conventional starter motor and (at best) a 24V battery.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing large diesels being cranked up when cold. It's quite a process and involves lots of coughing, smoke and noise. It can take minutes before they actually start to idle smoothly. Compare that to the engine in the Niro which goes from stone cold dead to providing useful power so quickly that you never even notice it happening. :D

In short, cut the old guys some slack. They're old. They probably grew up with cars they had to crank by hand. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not quite that cold but here in NJ we got near 0F last winter around New Years. Never had the slightest issue. Also I’d have no fear at a light because once you’ve driven for a minute or two the engine has warmed up substantially compared to cold.

By the way, plenty of cars now come with features where the engine will stop at a light. Haven’t heard of that happening all over the country or they wouldn’t be making them anymore!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts