Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Hello Everyone. Since i am not allowed to post in the Kia news section, i am posting it here. please feel free to edit and change this post in the right section. Thank you]

Monday May 7 2018, www.express.co.uk

Electric car's new design and range revealed...

THE first pictures of the all-new Kia Niro Electric have been revealed along with the car’s range and battery pack.

Kia has revealed the first pictures of the all new Niro Electric. The car was unveiled at the 5th International Electric Vehicle Expo in Jeju, Korea. It is due to make its official global debut at the Paris Motor Show in September this year, but the carmaker has revealed a few details ahead of then.Firstly, the manufacturer has given the car a new bumper and air intakes and blue strips, indicative of hybrid models.

The car has also been given a new faux ‘tiger nose’ grille, which is closed off to improve the car’s aerodynamics. It was designed at Kia’s design centres in California, USA and Namyang, Korea.

The car borrows much of the same design language debuted on the Niro EV Concept which debuted at CES 2018, in Las Vegas, earlier this year.

Kia has also confirmed the car’s range and the two battery pack variants available to buy. There is a 29.3kWh battery pack which produces up to 149 miles (240km) on a single charge and a larger 64 kWh battery system which is good for up to 236 miles (380km). The Niro EV will go on sale in Korea during the second half of 2018 and be introduced to other markets in due course.

The car is expected to go on sale towards the end of 2018
They say: the end of 2018 ??, probably in S-Korea, after, Europe and last, over here in North America in ?? 2020 ? probably in 2021 in Canada.! :confused:

I have only one word ! WOW, I really like the front grille and after some Hyundai Ionic reviews, alot of people say's that the EV battery system is very good.!

What do you think about it ?

- Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really like the design tweaks behind the EV model and I had to admit that the specs are pretty incredible considering its one of the first electric crossovers to hit the market. Looks like we might be in for a bit of a wait in Canada, but at least by then any recalls and quality of life changes will already have been done.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
From what I read, the batteries will not be available until last quarter of 2018. They are a new design with about 25% greater density. So forget about it until late 2019 at the earliest I think.

An even better battery with 75% greater density (or range or capacity for the same volume) will follow in a couple years. That will make EVs a lot more practical.
https://pushevs.com/2018/04/02/ncm-811-sk-innovation-vs-lg-chem/

The front of the car is the best spot for charging, but boy, that charging port door is ugly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what I read, the batteries will not be available until last quarter of 2018. They are a new design with about 25% greater density. So forget about it until late 2019 at the earliest I think.

An even better battery with 75% greater density (or range or capacity for the same volume) will follow in a couple years. That will make EVs a lot more practical.
https://pushevs.com/2018/04/02/ncm-811-sk-innovation-vs-lg-chem/

The front of the car is the best spot for charging, but boy, that charging port door is ugly!
From what I read, they are using the same batteries currently in use in the Kona EV...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts