Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are considering towing, or utilizing a lot of hitch weight, we installed a set of Airlift 1000 airbags on our Niro EV.

I would assume the process is similar for all Niro models (not sure about the size), but the install might actually be easier on our EV because we don't have to heat shield the air lines against an exhaust/muffler.

We used Airlift PN 60901 (link below), and it works well. Less than $100 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-60901...

PN 60902 might be a better fit (one inch longer, and I think there is room for it), but will be MUCH more frustrating to install, and might require you to drop the suspension altogether...

Video here, make sure to subscribe for more. We will be releasing a video on our full towing setup (hitch, airbags, brake controller, etc) very soon! (1-2 Days)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cool, thanks for the video. It's pretty impressive how much weight the stock suspension can support with so little compression. I see that the EV (3,854lbs) is more than 400lbs heavier than the PHEV (3,450 lbs) which in turn is up to 300lbs heavier than the HEV (3,106lbs to 3,287lbs depending on trim) model. I suspect the EV has stiffer springs to compensate for the increased mass.

Good info for people who are looking to tow or use a hitch mounted carrier.

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim,

I would agree that the spring rates are probably different across models, but there is a chance the length and diameter of the spring is the same.

If anyone with a PHEV or HEV measures their springs, let us know on here and I can compare with the kit that I bought.

Best,
Matt

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah, I think you're correct that the physical size of the springs is likely very close. If this were a performance car forum people would be installing EV springs on their HEV to improve the handling. ?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Great video & application.
In the 70's, before Subaru's and other "raised station wagons" existed, I used air bags on Volvo 122 & 145 wagons for camping, fishing, & hiking way off the beaten track. They truly helped to improve handling and keep the rear end from sagging while hauling amazing amounts of stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts